Traveling to Cusco, Peru and knowing Machu Picchu is the goal of millions of travelers around the world. But the question arises: should I go to Machu Picchu on an organized tour or on my own?
The answer to this question depends on many factors and your ability as a traveler.
- What aspects to take into account before traveling to Machu Picchu?
- Who should choose an organized tour to Machu Picchu?
- Who should choose to go to Machu Picchu on their own?
- How to contract a tour to Machu Picchu?
- Most popular tours in Machu Picchu
- Tour Inca Jungle to Machu Picchu 4 days
- How to go to Machu Picchu on your own?
- What tickets to buy to go to Machu Picchu on your own?
- Tips for traveling to Machu Picchu with tour
- Tips for visiting Machu Picchu on your own
Tourists enjoying their visit to Machu Picchu
What aspects to take into account before traveling to Machu Picchu?
To know if you must go to Machu Picchu on an organized tour or on your own you must take into account many factors, such as:
- If it is the first time you come to Machu Picchu.
- If you are an experienced traveler.
- If you have a limited budget.
- If you come with children or seniors.
- If you like adventure
- If you travel with plenty of free time.
Who should choose an organized tour to Machu Picchu?
- An organized tour is best suited for people who visit Machu Picchu for the first time.
- It is also ideal for tourists who want to travel comfortably and without frights.
- Above all it is ideal for those who have a reduced travel time.
Consider the following…
- An organized tour is always the most reliable option to go to Machu Picchu.
- The tour allows you to forget all the logistics of the trip such as tickets, train tickets, bus and more.
- The tour usually involves a larger budget.
- Perhaps the biggest disadvantage of a tour is having to be governed by an itinerary.
There are experiences that can only be done through a tour like the Inca Trail: the final destination this 4-day trek is Machu Picchu.
Who should choose to go to Machu Picchu on their own?
- Traveling to Machu Picchu on your own is a good choice for people traveling on a limited budget.
- It is also recommended for people who like adventure.
- Tourists who have several days off on their vacations can also choose to travel on their own.
Consider the following…
- To travel on your own you must buy online the ticket, the train ticket and bus to Machu Picchu.
- In addition, once in Machu Picchu the tourist must get one of the many tour guides who offer their services at the entrance gate.
- Visiting Machu Picchu on your own allows you to save more and have free time to explore other attractions of the Wonder of the World.
How to contract a tour to Machu Picchu?
- You can hire a tour to Machu Picchu online or once in the city of Cusco, Peru.
- There are tours to Machu Picchu for 1 day, 2 days and more. In some cases, tours are included in the city of Cusco or in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- It is recommended to hire a tour with an authorized tourism agency that has the authorization of the Ministry of Culture of Peru.
Most popular tours in Machu Picchu
If you decide to travel to Machu Picchu with an organized tour you can choose between the following most popular tours:
Tour Machu Picchu 1 day
- The full day Machu Picchu tour offers an intense adventure. It lasts approximately 15 hours.
- Part of the city of Cusco at approximately 4 am Then you travel by bus and train to Machu Picchu. After visiting the Inca City, return to Cusco at approximately 7 pm
- Includes transportation, train ticket, bus, tour guide, entrance and lunch (optional).
- The tour is recommended for people with few days of vacation.
- You can buy a tour online or directly in the city of Cusco (with enough anticipation).
Tour Machu Picchu 2 days
- The tour is recommended for seniors, families, children and tourists with enough time to get to know Machu Picchu better.
- The trip starts with a bus trip to Ollantaytambo. From there a train goes to Aguas Calientes where he stays overnight. The next day we visit Machu Picchu with tranquility. Finally, he returns to Cusco.
- Includes: transportation, train ticket, bus, tour guide, 1 night in hotel, entrance and lunch (optional).
- A good option is to add the entrance to the mountain Huayna Picchu. To do this you must book the tour online several months before.
Tour Machu Picchu + Sacred Valley 2 days
- This tour is one of the most preferred by tourists. It combines the tourist attractions of the Sacred Valley of the Incas with the visit to Machu Picchu.
- It is recommended for all types of tourists. Especially if it comes as a family.
- It starts in the city of Cusco. Then we proceed to visit Pisac and Ollantaytambo. You travel by train and spend the night in the town of Aguas Calientes. The next morning we visit Machu Picchu. Finally, he returns to Cusco.
- The tour includes: transportation, lunch buffet in Urubamba, train ticket, bus, tour guide, 1 night hotel in Aguas Calientes and entrance to all sites including Machu Picchu.
Tour Inca Trail to Machu Picchu 4 days
- This hiking trail is one of the most amazing adventures that can be had in Machu Picchu. It consists of a 4-day and 3-night camping hike. The final destination is the Inca City.
- The tours start in Cusco. Then we travel by bus to the starting point of the hike. It goes through paths built by the Incas hundreds of years ago as well as beautiful landscapes.
- On the morning of day 4, tourists arrive at the ancient entrance to Machu Picchu, the Intipunku. After visiting the Inca City, the return is by train and bus to the city of Cusco.
- Doing the Inca Trail is considered one of the best hiking trails in the world.
Tour Inca Jungle to Machu Picchu 4 days
- This adventure tour to Machu Picchu combines hiking with cycling. In addition, there is the option to zipline or canoe. The tour includes a visit to Machu Picchu.
- Day 1 travels by bus to the ‘Abra Málaga’ where you can go down by bicycle to the town of Santa María.
- The other days trekking to Machu Picchu (day 2 includes a visit to the thermal baths of Santa Teresa). The return to Cusco is by train and bus.
- During the Inca Jungle, tourists have the option of canoeing on the Vilcanota River or zipline in the town of Santa Teresa.
- The Inca Jungle is one of the favorite tours for young adventurers from around the world.
There are 2 routes to Machu Picchu: the traditional train track and the alternative route through the Hydroelectric station.
How to go to Machu Picchu on your own?
- The most important step before going to Machu Picchu on your own is to book the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Then you will have to decide how to go to Machu Picchu: by the train route to Machu Picchu or by the alternative hydroelectric route.
- Route by train to Machu Picchu – The most usual way to get there is by taking the train that will take you from the town of Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. To get to Ollantaytambo and board the train, you must take a mobility that takes you from Cusco to the train station. The trip takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Route by Hydroelectric – For the most adventurous. It is the cheapest way to get to the Inca City but it will also take you more time. There you can enjoy spectacular natural landscapes. The route includes a trip by car from Cusco to the town of Santa María (5 hours), from Santa María to Santa Teresa (2 hours), from Santa Teresa to Hidroeléctrica (30 minutes) and finally from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes on foot (2 hours). hours).
- The fastest and safest way to get to Machu Picchu is to travel the route by train. Tickets must be purchased online and in advance.
- After arriving at the town of Aguas Calientes, one of the buses that take tourists to the entrance of Machu Picchu must be addressed (30 minute trip).
- Bus tickets can be purchased in person in Aguas Calientes. The other option is to book tickets online.
- Once in Machu Picchu you must hire the service of a tour guide. There will be official guides offering their services.
- After visiting Machu Picchu, you must return to the city of Cusco in the same way as the one-way trip.
What tickets to buy to go to Machu Picchu on your own?
If you decided to go to Machu Picchu on your own, you must buy the ticket, the train ticket and the bus ticket:
Ticket to Machu Picchu – There are 4 types of tickets: 1) Machu Picchu Solo, 2) Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu, 3) Machu Picchu + Mountain and 4) Machu Picchu + Museum. The ticket to the Waynapicchu mountain must be booked 2 or 3 months before.
Train ticket to Aguas Calientes – The train takes tourists from Cusco (station Poroy or Ollantaytambo) to Aguas Calientes station, at the foot of Machu Picchu. It is recommended to buy this ticket after acquiring the ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Aguas Calientes bus ticket – Machu Picchu – The bus takes tourists from the town of Aguas Calientes to the entrance gate to Machu Picchu. Although it is possible to walk up. This is not recommended because of the fatigue that this implies. Tickets can be purchased in the same town of Aguas Calientes.
No matter how you want to get to Machu Picchu, the reward will be unmatched. Machu Picchu will be worth every second of the time he invested in going to her.
Tips for traveling to Machu Picchu with tour
- Verify that the tours to Machu Picchu are organized by authorized tourism agency and with secure web pages.
- All tours must include the following: entrance to Machu Picchu, transportation by train, bus and transfer to the train station.
- The 2-day tours must also include 1 night hotel in the town of Aguas Calientes.
- If the tourist wishes, he can add to the tour the entrance to the Huayna Picchu mountain. This reservation must be made 2 or 3 months in advance.
- Do not forget to bring your passport, identity document and extra money to buy handicrafts in Aguas Calientes.
Tips for visiting Machu Picchu on your own
- Book your entrance ticket to Machu Picchu online in advance. Then book your train ticket.
- The buses that take from Cusco to Ollantaytambo are taken in the street Pavitos, in the Historical Center of Cusco.
- If you are traveling on the Hidroeléctrica route, you can take one of the buses that depart from the Antonio Lorena avenue in Cusco.
- Arrive 30 minutes early at the train station. If you miss the train trip, you are not entitled to refunds.
- You can buy bus tickets in the same town of Aguas Calientes: Pachacutec avenue S/N.
- Carry cash, documents, passport and plenty of water with you.
Tourists making the hydroelectric route to Machu Picchu
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, June 27, 2019