Machu Picchu Tourist Guide
Offer shared service from 15 USD 25 USD
Offer private service from 65 USD 75 USD
The service offered by a good tour guide can make the difference between a great visit to Machu Picchu, and a bad one. In addition, since July 2017, it is mandatory to enter the Inca City in the company of a tour guide. This person is in charge of explaining to the visitor the mysteries that each corner of the Wonder of the World hides.
- Guidance time: approximately 3 hours.
- Shared guide service: in Spanish or English.
- Private guide service: in Spanish, English, French or Portuguese.
- Pick up from the train station.
- Easy payment with Visa or MasterCard.
- Immediate confirmation.
What do you need to know about the tour guide service in Machu Picchu?
Choose to visit Machu Picchu with a tour guide in shared service (with other tourists) or in a private service (personal for the tourist and their group). All services offer high quality 2 to 3 hour tours.
All prices are affordable and provide a high-quality service. You can also choose the tour guide service in the Huayna Picchu mountain or the Machu Picchu mountain. Both are optional.
The guide follows circuit 2 of Machu Picchu (the most complete route). It starts at the entrance door from where you go up to the House of the Guardian (where the postcard photo is taken). Then the guide will lead you through the Intihuatana, the Main Temple, the Sacred Rock and more.
Is the tour guide service mandatory in Machu Picchu?
Since July 2017, it is mandatory to enter the Inca city in the company of a tour guide. This person is in charge of explaining to the visitor the mysteries that each corner of the wonder of the world hides. There are two services: shared and private. In other words, the tourist can visit in a group made up of tourists from all over the world or they can do it in an exclusive group with their family or friends.
What are the differences between shared and private tour guide service?
The shared and private services are carried out with a maximum of 10 tourists. The shared is a tour with different visitors while the first is with a group of friends, family or couples.
|Guided in Machu Picchu
|Guided in Huayna Picchu
|Guided in Machu Picchu Mountain
|Pick up from the train station
|Number of tourists per group
|Groups of up to 10 people
|Group of 1 to 8 people
|English or Spanish
|English, Spanish, French or Portuguese
|08:00 a.m. or 11:00 a.m.
|According to the tourist's choice
Tour guide service in Machu Picchu, Huayna Picchu, Machu Picchu mountain and Huchuy Picchu
Most tourists choose to visit the Inca city of Machu Picchu, its temples and mysterious buildings. However, a good option is to visit Huayna Picchu, Mach Picchu mountain or Huchuy Picchu. To travel these mountains with a guide, a private service is required.
Guide service in Machu Picchu
- Tour the main constructions of Machu Picchu.
- Choose the shared or private guide service.
- The guided tour lasts between 2 and 3 hours.
- The option most chosen by tourists visiting Machu Picchu.
Optional guide service in the mountains
- Add to your tour of Machu Picchu some short walks to the mountains of the place.
- You can choose between 3 mountains: Huchuypicchu, Huaynapicchu or Machupicchu mountain.
- The tour is only in private service.
- The guided tour lasts 2, 3 hours or more.
These are the prices of the shared and private tour guide service in Machu Picchu
The tour guide service offers affordable prices. Tourists can choose shared or private service. Prices are in US dollars.
Guided only Machu Picchu (Main Archaeological Zone)
|PRIVATE (1-8 people)
|Machu Picchu only
|15 USD (per person)
|15 USD (per person)
|65 USD (per person)
|65 USD (por grupo)
Guided to the mountains of Machu Picchu
|PRIVATE SERVICE (English to Spanish)
|Only Huayna Picchu mountain
|Only Machu Picchu mountain
Prices include IGV 18% (General Sales Tax).The crossed out prices means that the tickets are not available.
Didactic map of the tour with tour guide for Machu Picchu
- 1 Main entrance - The guide will meet tourists at the door of Machu Picchu entrance from where you will enter the Inca archaeological site.
- 2 House of the Guardian - The House of the Guardian was the guardian point of Machu Picchu in the time of the Incas. Today from there tourists take the classic postcard photo.
- 3 Main door - This stone door communicated the urban sector with the sector agricultural. All visitors pass through there to the main buildings.
- 4 Sacred square - The Sacred square was the central point of the Inca city in Machu Picchu. Around it are the Main Temple and the Temple of the 3 Windows.
- 5 House of the inka - This set of enclosures was named for being the of more spacious rooms. It is made up of rooms, a patio and other small rooms.
- 6 Intihuatana (Solar Clock) - A few steps from the Sacred Square is a carved stone structure called the Intihuatana (Solar Clock). It is one of the most famous sites in Machupicchu.
- 7 Sacred Rock - This stone monolith is 3 meters high. Its base is 6 meters wide, approximately. It is believed that it served as an altar. It is also very photographed.
- 8 Three covers - In the northeast of the urban sector is this set of up to 18 enclosures where three stone facades stand out. It is believed that they served as workshops or warehouses.
- 9 Hall of mirrors - In the center of this room there are two mirrors of water carved in stone. It is believed that they served to reflect the stars.
- 10 Temple of the Condor - This temple is made up of two stone structures that , when visually united, it resembles the shape of an Andean condor (sacred Inca bird).
- 11 Temple of the Sun - This temple stands out for its fineness and semicircular structure. It is on the also famous 'Royal Tomb' where several treasures were found.
- 12 Exit - The exit door is at the bottom of Machu Picchu , on one side of the entrance road. The visitor will arrive there after 2 to 3 hours of travel.
What does the shared tour guide service include?
The shared service is an economical option that is carried out in a group of between 10 to 15 tourists of different nationalities.
Pick up and different times
An assistant will wait for you in Aguas Calientes. The shared service is carried out at 2 different times: 8 am or 11 am (it may vary by a few minutes). You can choose between these times to do your tour of Machu Picchu.
Group of 8 tourists maximum
Shared guidance is an economical service for a maximum of 8 tourists from different places. Most visitors choose to visit Machu Picchu in shared service.
Group service in English or Spanish
The tour guide is a professional with many years of experience doing tours in Machu Picchu. The shared service is conducted in English or Spanish and lasts approximately 3 hours.
What does the private tour guide service include?
The private service is an exclusive option recommended for families, groups of friends or couples. Includes personalized guidance in English, French, Spanish or Portuguese.
Pick up and schedule according to tourist
An assistant will wait for the visitor in Aguas Calientes. Guided in private service takes place at the time that the tourist prefers. Remember that Machu Picchu is open from 6 am to 5 pm
Group of 1 to 8 people or more
Private guidance is an exclusive service for families, groups of friends or couples. The service can be performed from 1 person. Also in groups of 8 tourists. More tourists can be added for a cost of $ 8 per person.
Guided in English, Spanish, French or Portuguese
The tour guide is a professional with extensive experience and command of several languages. Guidance is done in English, French, Portuguese or Spanish. It lasts about 3 hours.
Frequently asked questions about the tour guide service in Machu Picchu
These are the most recurrent questions that visitors ask about the tour guide service.
1) Are tips given to the guides at the end of the tour of Machu Picchu?
Although it is not mandatory, it is customary to tip tour guides at the end of their service. The amount depends on the quality of the service.
2) What do I need to book the tour guide service?
Before reserving the tour guide service, you need to buy the entrance to Machu Picchu. It is also important to know the arrival time of the train trip. Depending on the date and time of these, the tour guide organizes your pick-up and tour.
3) Is guided tour in Machu Picchu mandatory?
Yes. Since July 2017, it is mandatory to enter Machu Picchu in the company of a tour guide.
4) Is it necessary to be accompanied by a guide in Huayna Picchu?
No. The tour of Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu mountain can be done without the company of a tour guide. This tour is optional and is done only in private service.
5) Are there discounts for children?
No. In the tour guide service, children pay the same rate as adults.
6) Can I buy bus tickets in Aguas Calientes before the guide service?
Yes. The last leg to get to Machu Picchu is a bus trip from Aguas Calientes (30 minute trip). You can buy these tickets once at this location.
7) How many people are in a shared tour guide group?
According to the rules established in Machu Picchu, a group must not exceed 15 members. However, generally groups are made up of between 5 and 10 tourists.
8) What happens if I am late and do not enter Machu Picchu with the tour guide?
These cases are very unusual since the tour guide is concerned about entering with all the members of his group. If the tourist arrives late and enters alone, they must indicate that they are part of a group and go meet them inside Machu Picchu.
9) Is the tour guide prepared to act in emergencies?
Yes, all authorized tour guides are trained to provide assistance to tourists in cases of emergencies such as accidents or health problems. The guide must also ensure that the archaeological site of Machu Picchu is taken care of in the face of any unexpected event.
10) Can I visit the Intipunku or the Inca Bridge with the tour guide?
These routes are currently closed to the public. When available, the visitor must book a private tour guide service. Another option is to do the walks on your own before starting the tour with a tour guide through the archaeological site.