Traveling to Machu Picchu on the Hiram Bingham train is considered one of the best luxury train trips in the world. It starts in the town of Poroy, located in Cusco. It ends in Aguas Calientes, at the foot of Machu Picchu. The train route will show you some of the most beautiful landscapes of this tour.
- What is the Hiram Bingham train?
- Where does the Hiram Bingham train start from?
- What does the Hiram Bingham luxury train include?
- How is the experience on the Hiram Bingham train?
- What does the Hiram Bingham train include?
- How much does the Hiram Bingham train ticket cost?
- How to buy the Hiram Bingham train ticket?
- What are the titles won by the Hiram Bingham train?
The Hiram Bingham train departs every day from Poroy station in Cusco (except for the last Sunday of the month). From January to April (rainy season), services may depart from Urubamba station, for security reasons.
What is the Hiram Bingham train?
- The Belmond Hiram Bingham is a luxurious and exclusive train with an all-inclusive service where you will live unforgettable experiences.
- It is the most exclusive way to travel to Machu Picchu – one of the main destinations in Peru and the world.
- It is an exclusive trip that goes from the town of Poroy (on the outskirts of Cusco) to the town of Aguas Calientes.
- During the train trip the tourist will find the best of Peruvian hospitality: good food, first class service and entertainment on board .
- The train runs through the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
The luxurious Hiram Binham train to Machu Picchu
Where does the Hiram Bingham train start from?
- The train normally departs from the Poroy station, just outside the city of Cusco.
- However, during the rainy season (from December to April), the trip starts in the town of Urubamba (Sacred Valley of the Incas).
- The train in Urubamba departs from the doors of the Belmond Hotel Río Sagrado.
What does the Hiram Bingham luxury train include?
- The train has wide blue cars as well as decorations with golden lines. It consists of up to 4 cars (two dining cars, an observatory car with a bar and a kitchen car).
- The cars have a capacity for up to 84 passengers. The infrastructure has large windows, comfortable cloth seats, sofas, wood fiber tables, air conditioning, stereo sound and more.
How is the experience on the Hiram Bingham train?
- The experience starts at the Poroy train station. Tourists are welcomed with sparkling wine, orange juice, canapés and a traditional Andean dance and music show.
- Once on board, the maître places passengers at elegantly decorated tables. Then they are served by the waiters on board.
- The tables of the Hiram Bingham train have large size and space for 2 to 4 people. After this the passengers will explore the rest of the train: dining car, bar and observatory .
What does the Hiram Bingham train include?
In summary, the Hiram Bingham luxury train includes the following:
- Welcome pisco cocktail.
- Music show at Poroy station.
- Briefcase Belmond Hiram Bingham (courtesy).
- Gourmet lunch (one way train) or gourmet dinner (return train).
- Open bar (with the exception of some selected wines).
- Observatory car (one way trip only).
- Machu Picchu Solo entrance .
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (round trip).
- Tour guide in Machu Picchu.
- Tea at the luxury hotel Belmond Sanctuary Lodge.
- Live music band on board.
- Sale of jewelry to sourvenirs on board.
Food on board
- A three-course gourmet lunch is served on the outward journey. A gourmet dinner is served on the return trip.
- The menu offers dishes made with fresh ingredients brought from the Sacred Valley. The dishes aboard the Hiram Bingham train are made with native ingredients such as aguaymanto, quinoa and tomato sacha.
- Tourists with vegetarian or vegan food options can request a menu according to their preferences.
- The chefs cook and finish all the dishes on board the train. The train trip also includes: breads, soft drinks, coffee, tea, local beers, wines and snacks.
- The Hiram Bingham train offers an open bar with all non-alcoholic beverages as well as a selection of alcoholic beverages such as: beer, pisco sour, wines (Argentine and Chilean), champagne (Peruvians) and more.
- Some wines selected during the trip have an extra cost.
- The outbound trip offers the opportunity to appreciate the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas in the observatory car (includes a VIP balcony).
- During the return trip the balcony of the observatory car closes for security reasons.
Music and show on board
- The Hiram Bingham train includes a music show on board. On the outward journey, traditional Peruvian songs are sung in a relaxed atmosphere.
- On the return trip, the duo usually intensify the rhythm with classic rock songs (artists like The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, etc ).
- In addition, at the Poroy station, tourists are offered a show of typical Peruvian dances .
Entrance, bus and tour guide in Machu Picchu
- The Hiram Bingham train ticket includes the Machu Picchu Solo entrance, which allows you to enter the Inca City .
- The bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu is also included in the train ticket. The return trip is also included.
- Hiram Bingham train passengers will receive a guided tour of the Inca City of Machu Picchu by a professional tour guide.
The Hiram Bingham train ticket can be purchased directly on the Peru Rail website (operating company) or through a tourism agency that offers this service as part of an organized tour. In both cases the purchase is online.
How much does the Hiram Bingham train ticket cost?
This is the approximate price of the ‘Belmond Hiram Bingham’ service train ticket:
|Route||Departure station||Price in dollars|
|Cusco – Aguas Calientes||Poroy Station||USD 504|
|Aguas Calientes – Cusco||Aguas Calientes Station||USD 504|
|Cusco – Aguas Calientes – Cusco||Poroy Station||USD 1008|
* Prices are approximate and vary according to the time of year.
How to buy the Hiram Bingham train ticket?
To buy the Hiram Bingham train ticket you must follow the following steps:
- Enter the Peru Rail website .
- Choose Machu Picchu as ‘destination’, Cusco as ‘route’ as well as the date of your visit and the number of passengers.
- Select the train ‘Hiram Bingham’.
- Complete the form with your personal data: names, nationality, type of document, email.
- Choose one of the available payment methods: Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, International transfer and bank transfer .
- Make the payment and print the train ticket or pick it up at one of the authorized places in the city of Cusco.
What are the titles won by the Hiram Bingham train?
- Chosen among the ’10 epic railway crossings in the world ‘by CNN GO (2010).
- Chosen ‘Best train in the world’ by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler UK (2011).
- Position 3 in the category ‘Train operator specialist’ by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler UK (2012).
Advice from people who have been there
“The Orient Express of Machu Picchu“
“As if we had taken the time machine we were transported on this luxurious train to Machu Picchu. A very good gastronomic offer and a very good service on board, make this trip a different experience, something unique to get into the heart of the Inca.“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, August 15, 2019