The Historic Center of Cusco is the area where the different tourism agencies collect tourists to make tourist trips to Machu Picchu, the Sacred Valley, Montaña 7 Colores and more. If tourists are not staying in this area, they must arrive on their own at the right place, at the right time.
- What type of tourist transport is there in Cusco?
- Map of the Historic Center of Cusco
- Do tourist transport pick me up at my hotel?
- Where to take transportation in Cusco?
- What area does the Historic Center of Cusco cover?
- Where do the tours end?
- And where to take public transport?
- Questions and answers about transportation in Cusco
The tourist packages to Cusco, the Sacred Valley of the Incas, the 7 Colors Mountain, Machu Picchu and others; They start with the pick up of the tourist with tourist transport at the door of their hotel. The hotels must be located in the area of the Historic Center of Cusco.
What type of tourist transport is there in Cusco?
These are the most used tourist transports in Cusco:
- Simple cars (private services).
- Trucks (private services).
- Minivan sprinter (shared services for 15 and 19 passengers).
- Buses (shared services for 30 passengers and more).
- Tourist trains (Peru Rail or Inca Rail).
Do tourist transport pick me up at my hotel?
- If you purchased a tourist package, your itinerary will start with your pick up from the door of your hotel. The pick up is only valid for visitors staying in the Historic Center of Cusco.
- However, if your hotel is not located in the area of the Historic Center of Cusco, you must coordinate with the tourist agency that hired a pick-up location in the center of the city.
Where to take transportation in Cusco?
Tourist transport picks up tourists at the door of their hotel for different tours. However, if you are not in the Historic Center area, these are the most used pick-up points for pick-up in the city center:
- Plaza Regocijo (located just a few steps from the Plaza de Armas of Cusco).
- Limacpampa Square.
- Plazoleta de las Nazarenas.
- Maruri street
- San Pedro Market.
- Plazoleta de San Blas.
- Saphy Street.
- Avenida El Sol (one of the main streets of the city of Cusco).
What area does the Historic Center of Cusco cover?
- The Historic Center of Cusco is the area where most hotels, restaurants, bars and other tourist services are located.
- It covers an area of approximately 3 square kilometers where there are tourist attractions such as the Plaza de Armas, the Coricancha temple, the Piedra de los 12 Ángulos, the Mercado de San Pedro and more.
Map of the Historic Center of Cusco
This is the area that encompasses the Historic Center of Cusco:
Where do the tours end?
- Most tour packages end at the Plaza Regocijo in the Historic Center of Cusco, near most of the hotels, restaurants, cafes and bars in the city.
- Private services end at the same hotel as the tourist, as long as they are located in the Historic Center of Cusco.
And where to take public transport?
- The more than 1,200 public transport vehicles circulate through the city of Cusco under striking names such as: ‘El Batman’, ‘El Correcaminos’, ‘Liebre’, ‘El Zorro’ and more.
- The cost of the public transport service has a lower cost than the private services for tourists.
- Many of the public transport services that cross the city of Cusco can be taken at the stop called ‘Calle Ayacucho’, located a few meters from the Plaza de Armas.
- If the tourist wants to visit the Sacred Valley of the Incas (towns of Pisac, Chinchero, Urubamba, Ollantaytambo); You can take the public transport buses located on the streets ‘Pavitos’ (transport to Chinchero) and ‘Puputi’ (transport to Pisac).
Questions and answers about transportation in Cusco
a) Do all tours in Cusco include transportation service?
Yes. Any type of tourist package (to Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Montaña 7 Colores) includes the round trip transportation service.
b) Are tourist transport safe?
All tourist transports have seat belts, wide and comfortable seats. Drivers are trained to provide a safe service.
c) Can I rent my own transport?
Yes. In Cusco there are various car and van rental companies, whether with or without a driver. It is recommended to request the vehicles online in advance.
d) Where are the train stations?
The trains communicate Cusco with Machu Picchu. There are various train stations such as : Poroy Station (located 30 minutes from Cusco), Ollantaytambo Station (located 1 hour 30 minutes from Cusco), Aguas Calientes Station (located 4 hours from Cusco).
e) How do I know if a tour transport will pick me up at my hotel?
Only the hotels located in the Historic Center of the city receive the pick up of the tourist transport service. To find out if your hotel is located in this area, check the internet address.
f) Where will the tourist transport pick me up if I do not stay in the Historic Center?
If the tourist is not staying in the Historic Center; You must agree to a place located in this area for the pick up and start of the tour. Suggested places are: Plaza Regocijo, Avenida El Sol, Mercado San Pedro.
g) How much does a taxi cost in Cusco?
Taxi services have a cost that can vary from 5 Peruvian soles ($ 2) to 20 Peruvian soles ($ 6). The cost varies according to the distance traveled.
h) Is there transportation by tram?
Visitors can ride the tram (or panoramic bus) through the streets of the city center. This tourist service can be purchased at the Plaza de Armas.