There are two train companies that provide transportation to Machu Picchu are Peru Rail and Inca Rail. Both trains depart from Cusco and end in the town of Aguas Calientes. The route takes between 2 and 3 hours. The indications given below will help you better organize your visit to the Inca city.
- The train ticket to Machu Picchu
- Recommendations when buying your train ticket
- The train trip to Machu Picchu in the rainy season
- Types of train service to Machu Picchu
Do not forget to carry your printed train ticket as well as your identity document or passport when making your train trip to Machu Picchu. Otherwise, you will not be able to board the train, without the right to money back.
The train ticket to Machu Picchu
- The train ticket to Machu Picchu offers a tourist trip from one of the Cusco stations (San Pedro, Poroy, Urubamba or Ollantaytambo) to the final station of Aguas Calientes.
- There are different types of train tickets that offer different services in the Inca city.
- Peru Rail offers 4 services: Expedition, Vistadome, Sacred Valley and Hiram Bingham. Inca Rail offers 4 services: The Voyager, The 360º, The First Class and The Private.
- Train tickets are purchased at authorized offices in Cusco, Peru. However, most tourists do it online through the websites of Peru Rail or Inca Rail.
- If you do not travel by train, the only way to get to the Inca city is through the famous Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. This hiking route lasts 4 days and follows the same route that the Incas did hundreds of years ago.
Train services to Machu Picchu, on the left Incarail and on the right Perurail
Recommendations when buying your train ticket
- Make the purchase of the train ticket through the websites of Peru Rail or Inca Rail. You can do it from anywhere in the world.
- Machu Picchu is a high demand destination so you must book your train ticket at least 20 days in advance.
- If you have any physical disability or special medical condition, inform the train company staff.
- In no way will they let you into the car without presenting your identity document or passport. In case you do not have any of them, Peru Rail or Inca Rail staff will prevent you from boarding the train. Train tickets are not refundable.
- If you want to cancel your trip, be sure to do so thirty days in advance. Otherwise, you will have to pay a high economic penalty and even lose your train tickets.
- Arrive at the train station 30 minutes before departure. If you do not arrive on time, you will lose the right to the ticket without a claim.
The train trip to Machu Picchu in the rainy season
- The rainy season takes place in Cusco and Machu Picchu from November to April. During these months the constant rains are characteristic.
- Train departures from San Pedro and Poroy stations (near the city of Cusco) do not work from January 1 to April 30; because of the constant rains and the dangers that this can represent for visitors.
- During those months, train departures are made at Urubamba and Ollantaytambo stations. These stations work all year.
- From May 1 to December 31, the train service operates throughout the year and at all stations.
Types of train service to Machu Picchu
Both Peru Rail and Inca Rail companies have multiple types of services ranging from the tourist class to the exclusive service trains.
- Expedition : Comfortable tourist class service with large windows. The trip offers attention on board and sale of products on board. The design of the car is inspired by the Andean culture. It is one of the most popular trains to Machu Picchu.
- Vistadome : Tourist class service with all the necessary amenities to enjoy the beautiful scenery towards Machu Picchu. Includes snacks and complimentary drinks. During the return trip there is a music show, dance and fashion show with alpaca garments.
- Sacred Valley : Exclusive service that starts from the Urubamba station in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. It has complimentary snacks and drinks as well as gourmet lunch. There is a dining car and a bar-observatory car.
- Hiram Bingham : Luxury service that has all the comforts on board such as: snacks, open bar, gourmet lunch, live music show as well as tour guide, bus and entrance to Machu Picchu. It is considered one of the most luxurious train experiences in the world.
- The Voyager : Tourist service that has comfortable seats, panoramic windows and large tables. The trip includes assistance on board and sale of different products on board. It is the service with more daily departures of Inca Rail.
- The 360º : Tourist service characterized by large windows and comfort on board. It includes an open-air observatory wagon as well as ‘box lunch’ and an interactive app inside the train that informs about the places that are traveled during the trip.
- The First Class : Exclusive service that has comfortable seats, large windows as well as an observatory car, bar car, gourmet menu, live music show and bus service to Machu Picchu.
- The Private : Luxury service that offers all the comforts on board, such as: welcome champagne, gourmet menu, private bus to the Inca city, music show, open bar and large beautifully decorated spaces. This train leaves only at the request of the visitor (via email).
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 17, 2019