Trekking Route to Huchuy Picchu, an alternative to visit Machu Picchu
A few years ago, new destinations were opened to improve the influx of visitors to Machu Picchu. Huchuy Picchu is part of these new destinations. This option is ideal for people who wish to have a hiking tour through the Cusco jungle, the step will be through the path of the Incas. The route is not very long, but it allows you to experience a special adventure. Let’s know what the travel experience is.
- What is the experience of the route to Huchuy Picchu?
- What should I carry on my way to Huchuy Picchu?
- What information is there about Small Peak?
- How do I get the ticket to enter Huchuy Picchu?
- Image gallery
Huchuypicchu – Machupicchu
The summit of Huchuy Picchu has an elevation of 2497 msnm, while the constructions of Machu Picchu are at 2430 msnm. Both constructions are connected by Inca trails. It is estimated that an important temple was built in Huchuy Picchu.
What is the experience of the route to Huchuy Picchu?
- This hiking route, which starts after making a tour of the city of Machu Picchu, the circuit 4, is the only one that can be done to visit Huchuy Picchu.
- We will have to go to the access area to the mountain of Huayna Picchu and Huchuy Picchu, very close to the Sacred Rock.
- When you enter, you have to register and show the entry corresponding to the mountain.
- Before starting the trekking route you can take a break, hydrate and accommodate your belongings and shoes.
- To start the route, we will take the detour towards our destination, we will just arrive at an intersection of two roads that fork; one of them is towards Huayna Picchu and the other one that we have been presenting.
- The ascent is steep but bearable due to the presence of steps.
- During the way we will be able to appreciate some plants like orchids, Yuraq – Rup’u p flower of Machu Picchu and some others more.
- When we are close to the summit, we will see a large part of the Machu Picchu llaqta. Especially the area where the Intihuatana stone was carved.
- Once we reach the summit we will be able to appreciate some carved stones and the entire valley that is formed by the passage of the Vilcanota river.
- The summit of this Huchuy Picchu is located at 2497 meters above sea level.
- The return is easier, you just have to be careful going down the dirt that usually accumulates, but that’s only for a short time.
- We will end our hiking route at the same point we started.
- When we leave, we can conclude the visit of Machu Picchu.
What should I carry on my way to Huchuy Picchu?
- Even if it’s a short route, don’t forget to wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring some snacks, fruit, nuts and especially a water bottle in your backpack.
- Although it may not seem like a long route, you may feel thirsty from the heat and hungry from the effort put in.
- Have mosquito repellent.
- The photographic cameras will be necessary to immortalize their journey either through Machu Picchu or the Huchuy Picchu.
What information is there about Small Peak?
- Little Picchu would complete the triad of mountains alluding to the stages of human being. “Huchuy” is a Quechua word that can be translated as child, little or infant.
- The other mountains would refer to youth “huayna” and old age “machu”. In the places where Inca constructions can be found, they are only the first two.
- However, these three mountains offer a special tour through unique trails, giving visitors unforgettable experiences.
- In the case of Huchuy Picchu, it is located approximately one kilometer away. The route is by stairs and uphill paths.
- From this place you can see part of the main square of the citadel of Machu Picchu. Until now there are no studies that detail the functionality of Huchuy Picchu, but the idea that was erected for the creation of a temple is handled, due to the presence of some finely carved stones like most temples.
- Due to its altitude, it probably served as an observatory temple of the cosmos. Although it is also said that it was built as a special temple for the Coca Leaf.
How do I get the ticket to enter Huchuy Picchu?
- The entrance ticket has the name of “Machu Picchu + Huchuy Picchu”.
- This ticket allows you to visit the city of Machu Picchu circuit 4.
- You can book it through a tourism agency or online.
- It is recommended to make a reservation 2 or 3 weeks in advance.
- There are visiting hours at Huchuy Picchu from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., this being the last visiting hours.
- The schedules are established in a period of every hour, that is, from 6:00 to 7:00, from 7:00 to 8:00 and so on until the last time period, which would be 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, January 19, 2023