Cusco is one of the main tourist destinations on the planet. It offers the visitor numerous tourist destinations such as: Sacsayhuaman, the Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo and, above all, Machu Picchu. It can be visited throughout the year. From June to August they are the busiest months for tourists. The city has many festivals and celebrations.
You should plan your trip well to include them or to avoid them.
- Learn a little more about Cusco
- When to visit Cusco?
- What is the best month to travel to Cusco?
- How is the weather in Cusco?
- How is the dry season in Cusco?
- How is the rainy season in Cusco?
- Cusco holiday calendar
- What to take to the trip to Cusco?
- And when is the best time to go to Machu Picchu?
- Questions and answers about the trip to Cusco
Cusco in Peru has endless tourist attractions, such as: Sacsayhuaman, Coricancha, Tipón, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Aguas Calientes, Choquequirao, Salkantay and, of course, the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
Learn a little more about Cusco
- Cusco is located in the Andes Mountains of Peru. It is located at a height of 3,399 meters above sea level (11,151 ft).
- Its main tourist attractions are: Sacayhuaman, Coricancha, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Choquequirao and Machu Picchu .
- It is estimated that each year an average of 3 million tourists arrive in Cusco.
- The city of Cusco was the ancient capital of the Empire of the Incas. It is considered the ‘Archaeological Capital of America’ due to the many Inca remains that are there.
- In 1983 the city of Cusco was declared ‘World Heritage’ by Unesco .
- Currently Cusco does not have an international airport so to get there from abroad you must take a flight from the city of Lima.
View of the Plaza de Armas – Cusco City
When to visit Cusco?
- Cusco can be visited at any time of the year. However, it is considered that from April to October is the ideal time to visit .
- During those months there is a low chance of rain, the mountains are more lush and the sun shines brighter.
- Likewise, the influx of visitors usually increases during those months.
What is the best month to travel to Cusco?
- According to tourists who have already visited Cusco, May is the best month to know the tourist attractions of this place .
- May offers one of the best climates of the year in Cusco. In addition, during those days there is not a large number of tourists in Cusco. Therefore, the visitor can tour the tourist attractions with fewer people around.
- The weeks before Christmas and New Year are also considered good times to visit Cusco. Another of the festivities to take into account is the famous ‘Inti Raymi’ (Fiesta del Sol) , which is celebrated every June 24.
How is the weather in Cusco?
- The climate in Cusco is mild. Temperatures vary from 0 ° C. (32ºF.) At 21ºC. (70ºF.)
- During the year Cusco has two different seasons: the dry season (from April to October) and the rainy season (from November to March).
- Regardless of the time of the year in which you decide to visit Cusco, you should always be prepared for the sun and rain. Rains can be isolated at any time of the year.
How is the dry season in Cusco?
- The dry season in Cusco runs from April to October.
- The weather during this season is dry (especially in June, July and August) .
- The days are warm with an average day temperature of 17ºC. The nights are cooler during the dry season. It is not uncommon that in June and July, temperatures drop below 0ºC. (32ºF.).
- The dry season is considered the best time to travel but it is also the time with the highest number of visitors .
- The dry season coincides with the high tourist season so tickets to all tourist attractions must be purchased in advance.
How is the rainy season in Cusco?
- The rainy season runs from November to April. During this time, Cusco has the greatest amount of rainfall of the whole year.
- Statistical data reveal that the months of January and February are the ones that present the strongest rains of the season.
- In those months, the temperature during the day averages 18ºC. (64ºF.)
- Overnight temperatures are significantly higher with an average temperature of 8ºC. (46ºF.).
- Few people choose to visit Cusco in the rainy season, however, the rains make Cusco look greener so it is a good opportunity to get the best photos.
Cusco holiday calendar
These are the dates of the main festivities of Cusco:
- 1 of January New Year.
- March Sunday: Carnivals.
- Holy Monday: Procession of the Lord of the Tremors.
- June: Jubilee month of Cusco.
- June 24: Inti Raymi party .
- July 28: Fiestas Patrias del Perú.
- August 1: Pachamama Day.
- November 1: Feast of All Saints.
- December 24: Christmas.
Keep in mind that during the weeks adjacent to the Inti Raymi (June 24), the prices of hotels in Cusco may double so you should buy in advance. The same happens in the days before Christmas and New Year.
What to take to the trip to Cusco?
If you travel to Cusco do not forget to bring the following:
- Rain poncho
- Mosquito repellent.
- Windbreaker jacket
- Comfortable slippers
- Photographic camera.
- Warm clothes for the night.
- Identity documents
And when is the best time to go to Machu Picchu?
- Machu Picchu, like Cusco, has 2 seasons during the year: the rainy season and the dry season (from April to October) . The latter is the best alternative to visit the Inca City. The days are sunny and ideal for an outdoor walk.
- However, the rainy season (from November to March) also offers a good opportunity to visit Machu Picchu with greener fields and fewer tourists around. It is only recommended to wear rain poncho in case a rain begins.
Questions and answers about the trip to Cusco
Are rains in Cusco dangerous?
No. Cusco has no danger because of the rains. However, it is recommended to wear rain poncho, trekking shoes and use tours and formal services.
How is Cusco in February?
February is the month with the highest amount of rainfall in Cusco. However, it also presents beautiful days to know the Inca tourist attractions. That month the Inca Trail remains closed (4-day trek to Machu Picchu) .
Where to stay in Cusco?
The city of Cusco offers all kinds of hotels and lodgings, from 5-star luxury hotels to simple shared accommodations. There are also varied types of accommodations in Urubamba, Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu town.
When is the worst time to go to Cusco?
Cusco can be visited every day of the year. According to some travelers, February is a bad time to go.
Does Machu Picchu close any day of the year?
No. Machu Picchu remains open every day of the year.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, August 16, 2019