Everything you need to know about the entrance to Huayna Picchu
The entrance to Huayna Picchu is the first of the Machu Picchu tickets to run out. Not only because it is the ticket with the least number of spaces, but because there are more and more people who want the extraordinary experience of ascending this mountain. So it will be necessary to reserve one of the 400 daily tickets with enough anticipation.
- What does the Huayna Picchu ticket include?
- How long before booking the Huayna Picchu ticket?
- Why do so many people want the Huayna Picchu ticket?
- Who can ascend this mountain?
- What is Huayna Picchu?
- How is the Huayna Picchu mountain trail?
- How long does the tour last?
- Is it safe to tour the Huayna Picchu mountain?
- When to travel the mountain Huayna Picchu?
- What to bring?
Mountain Huayna Picchu
To visit the Waynapicchu mountain, you must buy the ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu online 2 or 3 months in advance.
What does the Huayna Picchu ticket include?
- With this ticket you can enter the Inca City of Machu Picchu as well as visit the Huayna Picchu mountain, one of the most amazing places in the entire Inca sanctuary.
The 400 Huayna Picchu tickets are divided into 3 income groups:
- Group 1 – From 6 am (entrance to Machu Picchu) / From 7 am to 8 am (entrance to Waynapicchu).
- Group 2 – From 7 am (entrance to Machu Picchu) / From 7 am to 8 am (entrance to Waynapicchu).
- Group 3 – From 8 am (entrance to Machu Picchu) / From 10.30 am to 11.30 am (entrance to Waynapicchu).
How long before booking the Huayna Picchu ticket?
- The only way to find availability of this ticket is buying online 2 or 3 months in advance.
- The ticket only has 400 tickets available per day. Many tourists want to get one of the tickets so it is necessary to buy them in advance.
- The high season of tourism runs from April to October. If you want to visit the Waynapicchu mountain in those months, book the entrance 3 months before.
Why do so many people want the Huayna Picchu ticket?
- The Huayna Picchu ticket offers a visit to Machu Picchu, ‘the Lost City of the Incas’. In addition, the tour of the Waynapicchu, one of the most incredible short walks on the planet.
- With the ticket you can see all the Inca constructions including the Temple of the Moon, which can only be seen ascending the mountain Huayna Picchu.
- In the Waynapicchu you will see exuberant nature, flora and fauna. And, as if that were not enough, you will see impressive landscapes of the surrounding mountains that surround Machu Picchu.
Who can ascend this mountain?
- Only people over 12 years old can ascend this mountain.
- It is not recommended to people who suffer from vertigo or fear of heights.
- Physical condition or age does matter, however, when you go up the mountain is more important the desire to reach the top.
- Older adults should consult their doctor before making the walk.
What is Huayna Picchu?
- Huayna Picchu means in Quechua ‘young mountain’.
- It is located 2,720 meters above sea level.
- The mountain appears in the background, in the classic postcard of Machu Picchu.
- The Incas built platforms, roads and even a temple called ‘The Great Cavern’ or the Temple of the Moon of Huayna Picchu.
- At present, it is the most desired place for those who seek adventure in the National Park of Machu Picchu.
Temple of the Moon at Huayna Picchu
How is the Huayna Picchu mountain trail?
- Climbing the Huayna Picchu has a moderate difficulty.
- Approximately 2 kilometers of stone and dirt roads are climbed. The roads have slopes of 30ºC. approximately. In total it rises 300 meters with respect to Machu Picchu.
- The route to the top offers roads beside huge cliffs.
- On some trails you will need to be secured with safety cables.
- The view at the top will make every step to climb the Waynapicchu worthwhile.
How long does the tour last?
- To climb to the top it will take approximately 1 hour depending on the rate at which it rises.
- The descent, however, can take 40 minutes.
- If you visit the Temple of the Moon during the descent, you will need 1 extra hour at the estimated time.
Is it safe to tour the Huayna Picchu mountain?
- Yes. It is safe to walk the trails of Huayna Picchu.
- However, you must understand that looking for a path on your own or getting away from the marked trails represents a risk.
- The mountain is surrounded by cliffs. In the most difficult stretches, there are safety ropes and support personnel.
- The greatest dangers are caused by the tourist himself: taking pictures on the edge of cliffs, crossing the security lanes, etc.
There are 3 entry times to Huayna Picchu: from 6 am, 7 am and 8 am All include a visit to the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
When to travel the mountain Huayna Picchu?
- Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu are open every day of the year except for unforeseen cases.
- Any time is a good opportunity to know the Waynapicchu mountain.
- In addition, the demand for tickets has made people travel this mountain regardless of the season.
- The dry season (from April to October) offers some of the best climates and moments to walk the Huayna Picchu trails.
- During the rainy season (from November to March), rains may occur at any time. To visit Waynapicchu in those days you should bring a rain poncho.
What to bring?
- Touring the mountain trails of Huayna Picchu with the right implements is the best way to get to know this amazing place.
- We recommend you bring with you: rain poncho, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, water bottle, snacks, camera and a small backpack that allows you to have your hands free.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, March 16, 2019