Knowing Machu Picchu is a wonderful experience that any traveler dreams of having in their life and that should be done at least once in their life. However, along with Petra (in Jordan), Machu Picchu is one of the most expensive wonders to visit. But there are certain ways to live this amazing experience without paying too much. Next, we will give you guidelines to access the best prices on your trip to Machu Picchu.
- Entrance tickets to Machu Picchu
- Train tickets
- The tourist guide service in Machu Picchu
- Hotels in Cusco
- Other tours in Cusco
Machu Picchu, a wonderful place in the world
How much does a luxury trip to Machu Picchu cost?
Machu Picchu can be an expensive or economical trip depending on how the visitor wishes. For a luxury trip there are many options. For example, the trip on the Hiram Bingham train, one of the most luxurious services in the world. Next to the Inca citadel there is a 5-star hotel, the only one located a few steps from the archaeological site. Additionally, in Cusco there are some of the best restaurants such as Chicha (by chef Gastón Acurio) or MIL (by acclaimed chef Virgilio Martínez). The trip to Machu Picchu is expensive but unforgettable.
Entrance tickets to Machu Picchu
- There are five types of entrance tickets to Machu Picchu: a) Machupicchu Only ticket, b) Machupicchu + Huaynapicchu ticket, c) Machupicchu + Mountain ticket, d) Machupicchu + Huchuypicchu ticket and e) Machupicchu + Inca Bridge ticket.
- All tickets have fixed prices. The tickets for Machupicchu Only, Machupicchu + Huchuypicchu and Machupicchu + Puente Inca cost 152 soles for foreign adults. The Machupicchu + Huaynapicchu and Machupicchu + Montaña tickets cost 200 soles also for foreign adults.
- However, there are discounts that tourists should take advantage of. These discounts apply to university students (under 25 years of age and pursuing undergraduate studies, under 18 years of age (being at least 17 years old at the time of visiting Machu Picchu) and citizens of the Andean Community of Nations (Peruvian, Colombian , Ecuadorians and Bolivians).
- To purchase the discounted ticket you need to have a passport, identity document or university card that justifies your nationality, age or student status.
- Also remember that children under 3 years old enter Machu Picchu for free.
- Train tickets are available on the websites of two companies: Peru Rail and Inca Rail.
- There are various types of services. For example, Peru Rail offers Expedition, Vistadome, Vistadome Observatory services and the Hiram Bingham luxury train.
- Inca Rail, on its own, offers The Voyager, The 360, The First Class and The Private services.
- For an economical trip to Machu Picchu, foreign tourists should choose the Expedition train or The Voyager train, the two most economical services of both companies.
- Only Peruvian tourists have access to the local train, whose service is not touristy (some people travel standing). However, the cost is much cheaper than the tourist trains mentioned.
- One of the best options is to board your train from the city of Ollantaytambo. Our recommendation is that you book train tickets immediately after knowing the date you will enter Machu Picchu; This way you can choose the company, the schedule and the type of service you prefer to reach the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
- Remember that the earlier you buy train tickets, the cheaper the prices will be.
- Another option is to make the trip to Machu Picchu through the economic route through Hydroelectric. This route begins in Cusco with a bus trip to the Hidroeléctrica station located approximately 6 hours away. Then there is a 2-hour walk to Aguas Calientes. Thus, you can visit Machu Picchu the next day without having to purchase a train ticket.
Train station in Machu Picchu
The tourist guide service in Machu Picchu
- The tour guide service in Machu Picchu, although mandatory, is not met and visitors can enter without the company of a professional guide.
- However, for a more complete and enjoyable visit to Machu Picchu, it is highly recommended to get a tour guide.
- Guides can be obtained in different ways: through the website of a tourism agency, in the town of Aguas Calientes or at the entrance gate to Machu Picchu.
- The best way to save some money on the tour guide service is to choose a guide in group service (shared with other tourists) at the entrance gate of Machu Picchu. These services can cost between 8 to 10 dollars per tourist.
- The tour with a tour guide through Machu Picchu lasts approximately 2 hours. The guide is in charge of accompanying the tourist in each of the Inca temples, which have a story to tell. The guide is also responsible for providing security and protection to the tourist and the archaeological site.
Children in Machu Picchu
Hotels in Cusco
- Cusco has an important hotel offer, whether in the city of Cusco, the town of Urubamba, Ollantaytambo, Pisac or in the town of Aguas Calientes itself (also called Machupicchu town).
- If you have the idea of staying in the town of Aguas Calientes before your visit to Machu Picchu, know that you can find accommodation of all prices and services, from camping areas and backpacker hostels for 45 soles per night (US$ 15) , to luxury hotels for US$ 850 a night.
- One of the recommendations we give you to get the best prices on hotels, whether you decide to stay in Cusco or the town of Aguas Calientes, is that if you are coming during the high season (May to August) reserve your room months in advance.
- Knowing the date on which you will enter Machu Picchu, this so that you can choose whether to stay in the town at the foot of the Inca city or in the ancient capital of the Inca empire, Cusco. In addition, rates during high season usually increase by 30% and depending on the service, they can double.
Other tours in Cusco
- In addition to visiting Machu Picchu, tourists should take advantage of their stay to visit other tourist attractions in Cusco, such as: Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Moray, Maras, Sacsayhuamán, the Humantay lagoon or the Mountain of the 7 Colors.
- All these tourist destinations can be visited with an all-inclusive tour. However, the most economical option to visit Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Moray, Maras and Sacsayhuamán is by purchasing the Cusco Tourist Ticket. This ticket costs 130 soles for foreign tourists and 70 soles for Peruvian tourists. It allows you to discover all these destinations and, in addition, other archaeological sites and museums in Cusco.
- Only Humantay Lagoon and 7 Colors Mountain are not included in this ticket. These two destinations, because there is no cheap public transportation there, can be visited with an all-inclusive tour. These are two economical tours compared to the tour to Machu Picchu or other destinations in Cusco.
Advice from people who have been there
“Yes, it is wonderful, due to circumstances of unemployment, we were able to arrive and meet with few people as we had been told, we were exploring with a guide, and then alone enjoying it, my 11-year-old daughter loved it and I especially enjoyed it.“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, January 29, 2024