The fastest and safest way to travel from Cusco to Machu Picchu is by train. To get a ticket, the most important thing is to book the ticket with days or weeks in advance. For this you must enter the official website of Peru Rail or Inca Rail. After completing your personal information, make the payment online and that’s it!
- Trains from Cusco to Machu Picchu
- How to book train tickets online?
- How to buy train tickets in Cusco (Peru)?
- How much do train tickets cost?
- What is the time of the train tickets?
- How long before booking the train ticket?
- Are there discounts on the price of the train to Machu Picchu?
- How to get to Machu Picchu without a train?
- Recommendations to get the train ticket to Machu Picchu
- Frequently asked questions about Machu Picchu train tickets
Train station to Machu Picchu
Trains from Cusco to Machu Picchu
The trains leave for Machu Picchu mainly from 2 stations: Poroy (Cusco) and Ollantaytambo.
The trains that depart from the Poroy station in the direction of Aguas Calientes take 3 hours on average. The departure frequency is not as dynamic as in the Ollantaytambo station. Both Peru Rail and Inca Rail trains bring tourists from this station.
The trains that depart from the Ollantaytambo station take an average of 2 hours to get to Aguas Calientes. The vast majority of trains depart from this point.
The trains headed to Machu Picchu cross the Sacred Valley, one of the most important and sacred places for the Incas several centuries ago.
How to book train tickets online?
To book a train ticket, you must enter the Peru Rail or Inca Rail website. To get availability, the reservation must be made weeks in advance.
How to book with Peru Rail?
- Enter the official website of Peru Rail.
- Complete the spaces with the trip details: ‘destination’, ‘route’, date ‘and number of passengers. At the end, click on ‘Find your train’ .
- Check availability and choose the train of your choice. Do the same with the train back.
- Check that the train schedules and prices are correct.
- Fill in the spaces with your personal information.
- Check the validity of your personal information as well as the details of the train trip.
- Select a payment method: PayPal, Visa, MasterCard or a bank transfer. Accept the ‘terms and conditions’ and make the payment.
- After making the payment, you can print the tickets and present them on the day of your trip.
How to book with Inca Rail?
- Enter the official website of Inca Rail.
- Complete the trip information: date of departure, return, number of passengers and currency. Click on ‘Buy tickets’ ..
- Select a route and check that the train you like has availability.
- Complete the passenger register with the personal information of each one..
- Check the validity of the information. Then select a payment method and complete the requested spaces. Finally, click on ‘Start payment’.
- After the payment has been made, you only have to print the tickets purchased and present them on the day of the trip ..
You can choose to take trains from stations Poroy (Cusco) or Ollantaytambo. There are also some services that depart from Urubamba.
How to buy train tickets in Cusco (Peru)?
Are you not sure about booking the train ticket online? It is also possible to do it personally in Peru. For this you must buy them directly at the offices authorized by Peru Rail or Inca Rail in Lima and Cusco.
Peru Rail – Authorized offices:
- Larcomar Shopping Center: Av. Malecón de la Reserva 610, Stand 214 – Plaza Gourmet – Miraflores-Peru.
- Jorge Chávez International Airport: Av. Elmer Faucett s / n, National Departures, 2nd. Floor (between door 13 and 14) – Callao-Peru.
- Plaza Norte Shopping Center: Av. Alfredo Mendiola 1400, 1st. Floor (South Gallery) – Lima-Peru.
- Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport: Velasco Astete Av. S / n, Wanchaq-Cusco
- Main Square of the Cusco : Portal de Carnes 214, Main Square-Cusco.
- Square Regocijo: Square Regocijo 202 – Cusco.
- Avenida El Sol: Av. El Sol 409 – Cusco.
- Wanchaq Station: Av. Pachacutec s/n, Wanchaq District – Cusco.
- Poroy Station : Roldan Street s / n, District of Poroy – Cusco.
- Urubamba Station : Av. Ferrocarril s / n Urubamba, Sacred Valley – Cusco.
- Ollantaytambo Station: Av. Ferrocarril s / n Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley – Cusco.
- Machu Picchu Station: Machu Picchu Pueblo s/n, Barrio Las Orquídeas – Cusco.
Inca Rail – Authorized offices:
- Main Square: Portal de Panes 105, Main Square-Cusco.
- Ollantaytambo Station: Av. Ferrocarril s / n Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley – Cusco.
- Machu Picchu Station: Machu Picchu Train Station Pueblo s / n – Cusco.
How much do train tickets cost?
The price of trains depends on the type of service.
Peru Rail offers 4 types of service: ‘Expedition’, ‘Vistadome’, ‘Hiram Bingham luxury train’ and ‘Local train’.
Price of Peru Rail trains: Cusco – Machu Picchu (round trip)
Train service Price in dollars Price in soles Train ‘Expedition’ $ 140 S/. 459 Train ‘Vistadome’ $ 190 S/. 623 Luxury train ‘Hiram Bingham’ $ 950 S/. 3115 Local train (only for Peruvians) $ 6 S/. 20
Inca Rail offers 3 types of service: ‘Economy Class’, ‘Executive Class’ and ‘First Class’.
Price of Inca Rail trains: Cusco – Machu Picchu (round trip)
Train service Price in dollars Price in soles Economy class $ 140 S/. 459 Executive class $ 150 S/. 491 First class $ 398 S/. 1305
What is the time of the train tickets?
Train schedules are set by Peru Rail and Inca Rail. Choose the time and service of your preference according to the time and day of your visit to Machu Picchu.
Peru Rail train schedules
Peru Rail ‘Vistadome’ train schedules (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes) ..
Departure time Time of arrival 7.05 a.m. 8.27 a.m. 8 a.m. 9.25 a.m. 8.53 a.m. 10.29 a.m. 9.15 a.m. 10.52 a.m. 10.32 a.m. 12.11 p.m. 1.27 p.m. 2.50 p.m. 3.37 p.m. 5.02 p.m. 7.35 a.m. (Cusco) 10.52 a.m. 8.25 a.m. (Cusco) 12.11 p.m.
Peru Rail ‘Expedition’ train schedules (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes) ..
Departure time Time of arrival 6.10 a.m. 7.40 a.m. 7.45 a.m. 9.15 a.m. 8.29 a.m. 9.54 a.m. 12.55 p.m. 2.25 p.m. 6.40 a.m. (Cusco) 9.54 a.m.
Train schedule Peru Rail ‘Hiram Bingham’ (Poroy (Cusco) – Aguas Calientes) ..
Departure time Time of arrival 9.05 a.m. (Cusco) 12.24 p.m.
Peru Rail local train schedules (only for Peruvians) (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes) ..
Departure time Time of arrival 5.05 a.m. 6.34 a.m. 9.50 a.m. 11.49 a.m. 12.58 p.m. 2.25 p.m. 7 p.m. 8.45 p.m. 9 p.m. 10.45 p.m.
Train schedule Inca Rail
Train timetable Inca Rail ‘Economic class’ (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes)
Departure time Time of arrival 6.40 a.m. 8.01 a.m 11.15 a.m. 12.41 p.m. 11.30 a.m. 1.06 p.m. 4.36 p.m. 6.09 p.m. 7.27 p.m. 9.09 p.m.
Train timetable Inca Rail ‘Executive Class’ (Cusco / Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes)
Departure time Time of arrival 5.55 a.m. (Cusco) 8.48 a.m. 07.22 a.m. 8.48 p.m. 12.36 p.m. 2 p.m.
Train timetable Inca Rail ‘First class’ (Cusco / Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes)
Departure time Time of arrival 9.28 a.m. (Cusco) 12.41 p.m. 11.15 a.m. 12.41 p.m.
What train service to choose?
The most used train services for the trip to Machu Picchu are: Expedition and Vistadome of Peru Rail. Both trains offer maximum comfort, panoramic windows, spacious tables and service on board. Learn about their differences and choose the type of train you prefer.
How long before booking the train ticket?
Train tickets must be reserved as soon as the date of the visit to Machu Picchu is known. It is recommended to make the purchase one week in advance.
If you plan to make the trip during the high season of tourism in Machu Picchu (from April to October), you must separate the tickets one month in advance.
During May, June and July it is recommended to book train tickets one month or more in advance. The number of visitors and passengers during those days increases in Cusco and Machu Picchu.
By booking the Machu Picchu train ticket online you can secure the ticket in advance. Doing it in person in Peru can cause it to no longer be available.
Are there discounts on the price of the train to Machu Picchu?
In Peru Rail:
- Children from 0 to 2 years old do not pay their train ticket to Machu Picchu as long as they travel in the arms of their parents. Only one child is allowed to carry a load per passenger.
- Children from 3 to 11 years old pay the price of the ticket with a discount of 50% of the adult rate.
In Inca Rail:
- Infants (from 0 to 2 years old) do not pay for the train ticket. Children travel on the arms or legs of their father or mother. Only one infant is allowed per adult passenger.
- Children from 3 to 12 years old pay for the train ticket with a discount of around 50% of the adult price.
How to get to Machu Picchu without a train?
There are 3 ways to get to Machu Picchu: the Inca Trail, the route through Santa Teresa and the train ride through the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Travel by train is the fastest, safest and most widespread way for tourists to get to Machu Picchu. The train journey crosses beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley, an important place for the Incas until reaching Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu pueblo).
But traveling by train is not the only way to reach the Wonder of the World.
- Inca Trail – 4 days and 3 nights hike through ancient Inca trails to reach Machu Picchu through the Intipunku (Sun Gate), the old gateway to the Wonder of the World during the Incas.
- Route through Santa Teresa – Alternative route that reaches Machu Picchu through the town of Santa Teresa. First you travel several hours by bus and then you walk for about 3 hours to get to Machu Picchu.
Recommendations to get the train ticket to Machu Picchu
- Book in advance the entry tickets to Machu Picchu. After knowing the date of the visit to the Wonder of the World, separate the train tickets online.
- The prices of the train ticket tend to increase if the reservation is made from one day to the next. Make the reservation weeks before and get the best rates.
- Inca Rail offers a private train service where tourists can travel with their companions in a personal car.
- Peru Rail has a service called ‘Sacred Valley’, which stops at the hotel Belmond Río Sagrado de Urubamba for its guests to enter the car.
- For security reasons, the methods of payment of trains to Machu Picchu only accept Visa and MasterCard with security code. The best alternative is to pay with PayPal.
- The trains only allow a baggage no more than 5 kilos per person. Carry only what is necessary. If not, request more luggage space with train services.
- Remember that if you do not enter the train at the scheduled time, you will lose the trip without the right to a refund.
Frequently asked questions about train tickets to Machu Picchu
1) Can train tickets be displayed digitally?
Yes, tickets can also be displayed digitally. However, it is also recommended to print them and show them in person.
2) Do children under 2 years old need any registration?
No, children under 2 years old can board the train showing only their identity document or passport. They travel seated in the same seat as their father or mother.
3) If I am late for my train trip, can I claim a refund?
No, there is no refund in case of lateness and absence after the departure of the train.
4) Are train tickets personal?
Yes, train tickets are personal. They cannot be used by someone other than the ticket holder.
5) What happens if I lose my train ticket?
In case of loss, you can print another ticket or request an extra ticket at the Peru Rail, Inca Rail office or with the tourism agency that made the purchase.
6) Do I need a vaccination certificate to take the train?
While the restrictions due to the COVID 19 pandemic last in Peru, it is necessary to show the vaccination certificate from your country.
7) Can train tickets be cancelled?
Yes, tickets can be canceled even if you pay a penalty for the process.
8) Can the local train ticket for Peruvians be purchased online?
No, local train tickets can only be purchased in person at authorized Peru Rail offices in Cusco.
9) Is the train ticket from the Hidroeléctrica station paid in person?
Yes, this ticket can only be purchased at the Peru Rail offices in Cusco, especially at the Hidroeléctrica and Santa Teresa stations.
10) Can I buy my train ticket the same day of my trip?
Yes. However, due to limited availability, this is not recommended. It is best to buy online a few weeks in advance. This way you will also get better prices.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, March 11, 2022