If you plan to visit Machu Picchu, know that there is a big difference in coming to Cusco (Peru) in the low tourist season or in the high season. The latter coincides with the dry season (from April to October) and is considered one of the best times to tour the Inca City. Learn more!
- What is the high season in Machu Picchu?
- When is the high season in Machu Picchu?
- Advantages and disadvantages of high season in Machu Picchu
- How to visit Machu Picchu in high season?
- What to bring to Machu Picchu during high season?
- Questions and answers about the high season in Machu Picchu
Entry to Machu Picchu in high season
Do you want to visit Machu Picchu between April and October? Know that in those months the high tourist season takes place. That means that the weather will be right and that there will be many visitors touring the Inca City.
What is the high season in Machu Picchu?
- Machu Picchu has two very marked climatic seasons: the rainy season (from November to March) and the dry season (from April to October).
- The high tourist season coincides with the dry season and is characterized by the large influx of visitors to Machu Picchu.
- It is estimated that during the high tourist season 5,000 visitors visit the Inca City of Machu Picchu every day.
When is high season in Machu Picchu?
- The high season is from April to October, but the greatest influx of visitors is in June, July and August.
- These months coincide with the holiday season in many countries. In addition, on those days the city of Cusco celebrates many festivities such as Inti Raymi (June 24).
Advantages and disadvantages of high season in Machu Picchu Picchu
- Visiting Machu Picchu during the high tourist season means pleasant weather. However, it also means excessive visitor traffic in the Inca City.
- In this post we will explain the advantages and disadvantages of coming to Machu Picchu in Cusco during the high season.
Advantages of the High Season in Machu Picchu Picchu
- The climates of June, July and August provide some of the best times of the year to visit Machu Picchu.
- The sky is blue, the rains are absent, the days are warm but the nights are cold.
- This season allows you to take in some of the best views of the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
- In June, Cusco celebrates its anniversary. In addition, the ‘Fiesta del Sol or Inti Raymi’ is celebrated, a traditional Andean festivity celebrated during the winter solstice.
- In July the national holidays are celebrated in Peru (July 28). In Cusco, the celebrations have a special Andean nuance.
- Peru is one of the main gastronomic destinations in the world. In the high season, Cusco celebrates its festivities with delicious Andean dishes.
- In Cusco, during the high tourist season, visitors will be able to meet people from different parts of the world.
Disadvantages of Machu Picchu High Season
- It is very unlikely that you will be able to enter Machu Picchu in high season if you did not book the tickets in advance.
- The high season in Machu Picchu coincides with the vacation period in many countries. So if you don’t like crowds, this is not the time to come.
- If you don’t reserve everything in advance, you could have problems getting lodging, guides, tours, which must be purchased in advance.
- In the high season of tourism you should book your tickets to Machu Picchu in advance (especially the ticket to Huayna Picchu).
If you visit Machu Picchu during the high tourist season, don’t forget to buy your entrance tickets weeks in advance. The Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu ticket is the most desired by tourists, so it must be purchased 2 or 3 months before.
How to visit Machu Picchu in high season?
Are you planning to visit Machu Picchu during the high tourist season? Follow these steps to get your entrance ticket to the Inca City:
- Go to the official Machu Picchu ticket sales website (or the website of a tourism agency).
- Choose the type of ticket as well as the date and time of your visit to the Inca City. (Remember that you must buy your tickets in advance).
- Make your reservation by entering your personal data.
- Make the payment for the Machu Picchu entrance through a credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, etc.).
- Print the Machu Picchu ticket that you will receive in your email inbox.
- Present your printed ticket on the day of your visit to Machu Picchu.
If you plan to visit Machu Picchu in high season through an organized tour, you must purchase your tour online weeks in advance and through a tourism agency.
What to take to Machu Picchu during high season?
The high season for tourism in Machu Picchu coincides with the dry season. In those months, tourists are recommended to bring the following:
- Light cotton clothing.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Hiking shoes.
- Photographic camera.
- Water in a canteen.
- Documents and extra cash.
Questions and answers about high season in Machu Picchu Picchu
1) How is the low season in tourism?
The low tourist season in Machu Picchu runs from November to March and coincides with the rainy season. Those months are characterized by the constant rains and the few tourists who visit the Inca City.
2) What is the weather like in the high season in Machu Picchu?
The high season in Machu Picchu coincides with the dry season (from April to October). In those months the weather is hot with little chance of rain. Temperatures range between 27ºC. and 7ºC.
3) How long before buying the ticket to Machu Picchu in high season?
During the high tourist season it is recommended to buy the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu 2 or 3 weeks in advance.
4) How long before should I buy the entrance to Huayna Picchu in high season?
During the high season, you must buy the entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu 3 or 4 months in advance.
5) Which is the month that most tourists visit Machu Picchu?
June is the month when more tourists visit Machu Picchu. In those days it is estimated that the Inca City receives more than 5 thousand visitors a day. It is recommended to buy entrance tickets in advance.
6) What is the month that fewer tourists visit Machu Picchu? Why?
February is the month in which fewer tourists visit Machu Picchu. The reason? The constant rains can cause fog that prevents getting the classic postcard photo of the citadel. In that month, in addition, the Inca Trail route remains closed.
7) What to take to Machu Picchu in high tourist season?
If you visit Machu Picchu in high tourist season (from April to October), do not forget to bring with you: light sports clothing, comfortable shoes, hat, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, rehydrating water, snacks, fruits and everything in a comfortable backpack.
8) Does the entrance to Machu Picchu increase in price in high tourist season?
In the high season of tourism (from April to October) the prices of the tickets to Machu Picchu are the same. What is more complicated is getting ticket availability. It is recommended to purchase them online between 2 to 4 months before.
9) Do train tickets to Machu Picchu also have to be bought in advance during high tourist season?
Yes, the train tickets are as important as the tickets to Machu Picchu. In high tourist season (April to October) it is recommended to make the purchase approximately 2 months in advance.
10) What is the best month of the year to visit Machu Picchu?
The best months to visit Machu Picchu are June, July and August. Although these are the months with the most tourists (high tourist season), you can get photos of the Inca citadel without danger of fog. In addition, in June Cusco celebrates important festivals such as the Inti Raymi.
Advice from people who have been there
“Book train tickets as soon as possible“
“I was in Machu Picchu a few days ago, it was fabulous, but we had a problem, we already had Machu Picchu tickets, but we could not book train tickets on time (we forgot), even though it was not high season; We had to enter Machu Picchu through an alternate route through a town called Santa María. So if you are reading this; I would not risk it again. Buy the train tickets in advance or book the trip to Machu Picchu with an agency, it costs a little more, but you will be sure that you will be able to enter Machu Picchu.“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, July 19, 2022