Aguas Calientes is the nearest town of Machu Picchu. There are the main restaurants. These mainly offer Peruvian, Latin American food, pizzas, desserts and more. Prices vary from $ 3 to $ 40 per person. The visitor is the one who decides how much to spend during his vacations to the Inca city.
- Where to eat during the trip to Machu Picchu?
- How much does a lunch cost in Machu Picchu?
- Where to eat cheap on the trip to Machu Picchu?
- What are the most famous restaurants in Machu Picchu?
- What to eat in Machu Picchu?
- Frequently asked questions about restaurants on the trip to Machu Picchu
Aguas Calientes is also called Machu Picchu town, since there are concentrated all the tourists who will visit the Inca archaeological site. The town is small but has: hotels, markets, cafes and, of course, restaurants of all prices and qualities.
Where to eat during the trip to Machu Picchu?
- Machu Picchu is located almost 100 kilometers from the city of Cusco. Therefore, the only way to have lunch during the trip is to do it there. The town of Aguas Calientes is the right place to do it, because it has many good quality restaurants.
- In Aguas Calientes there are more than 100 restaurants that mainly offer Peruvian food. However, it is also possible to taste Latin American, French, Chinese, pizza, coffee and more.
- Some of the best restaurants in Machu Picchu are: the Happy Indian, the Tinkuy Buffet, the Cala Tratoria, the Café de Paris, the Mapi Restaurant, the Ylla Fusión and more.
How much does a lunch cost in Machu Picchu?
- Each restaurant in Machu Picchu has its own prices according to the menu offered. For example, the buffet lunch at the prestigious Tinkuy Buffet restaurant costs US $ 40.
- However, there are also places to eat cheaply. For example, a menu in the town’s food market has a cost of 8 Peruvian soles (approximately 3 US dollars).
Where to eat cheap on the trip to Machu Picchu?
In Aguas Calientes there are many cheap restaurants where you can taste some of the typical dishes of Peru such as: sauteed loin, fried trout, ceviche and more.
- Aguas Calientes food market – The cheapest option when visiting Machu Picchu is to eat at the food market. There a menu can cost only 8 soles (3 US dollars).
Address: Corner of the Main Square of Aguas Calientes.
Approximate cost: $ 3.
- Café de Paris – Café de Paris is one of the most famous bakeries in Aguas Calientes. The coffees are cheap (from 2 dollars) as well as their delicious cakes.
Address: Plazoleta Wiñaywayna, Aguas Calientes (Cusco, Peru).
Approximate cost: $ 5.
- Julian Restaurant – A small restaurant but where delicious Peruvian dishes are prepared at a fair price. They are famous for their sauteed loin, ceviche, fried trout, alpaca loin and more.
Address: Avenida Pachacutec Nº 601, Aguas Calientes (Cusco).
Approximate cost: $ 15.
- La Chuta – A bakery where you can taste delicious cakes, pies, cakes as well as coffees, juices and more. The prices are reasonable. The place is comfortable, ideal for breakfast or dinner.
Address: Calle Yawar Huaca Nº 107, Aguas Calientes (Cusco).
Approximate cost: $ 5.
What are the most famous restaurants in Machu Picchu?
In Aguas Calientes there are restaurants of great quality and popularity. The best chefs in Cusco prepare typical Peruvian dishes as well as Latin, South American and much more.
- Tinkuy Buffet Restaurant Sanctuary Lodge – Exquisite and varied buffet located next to the archaeological site of Machu Picchu. They serve Peruvian, South American and American food. It belongs to the prestigious Belmond Sanctuary Lodge hotel.
Address: Hiram Bingham Highway Km. 7.5, Aguas Calientes (Cusco, Peru).
Approximate cost: $ 40.
- El Indio Feliz – A restaurant famous in Aguas Calientes for its excellent dishes and its peculiar decoration. It has a varied menu of Peruvian, Latin and South American food.
Address: Calle Lloque Yupanqui 103, Aguas Calientes (Cusco, Peru).
Approximate cost: $ 30.
- The Mapi Restaurant – One of the most popular buffets in Aguas Calientes is the one offered by the Mapi, which belongs to the Inkaterra hotel chain. They prepare Peruvian and South American food. It also has a friendly bar.
Address: Avenida Pachacutec 109, Aguas Calientes (Cusco, Peru).
Approximate cost: $ 25.
- Ylla Fusion – A restaurant famous for its dishes with combinations of Peruvian food (also has option for vegetarians). It is characterized by good service and its beautiful views from its terrace.
Address: Plaza Manco Cápac Nº 104, Aguas Calientes (Cusco, Peru).
Approximate cost: $ 20.
What to eat in Machu Picchu?
Peru has one of the best gastronomies in the world. They combine the traditions of Chinese, Spanish, Italian and more gastronomy. Their dishes have great flavor and aroma. Currently, some of the best restaurants in the world are Peruvian.
Ceviche – Ceviche is the most popular dish in Peru. It is made of fish and lemon. Sweet potato, lettuce, onion and tomato sauce are also added. Its marinated flavor is achieved thanks to the lemon produced in Peru.
Lomo saltado – The lomo saltado is a popular dish from Peru (whose origin is linked to Chinese cuisine) whose main ingredients are: potatoes, beef, rice, tomatoes and onions.
Stuffed Cause – The stuffed causa (also known as cause limeña) is a Peruvian starter whose main ingredients are potatoes, chicken threads, lemon, yellow pepper, mayonnaise or avocado.
Grilled Alpaca – This dish uses alpaca meat, a South American camelid that inhabits the Andes Mountains. Although it is not traditionally consumed by Peruvians, it is widespread in tourist restaurants.
Fried trout – This typical dish from the mountains of Peru, uses trout, a fish from the salmon family that is pleasant to the palate. It is usually consumed with potatoes (or rice) and a salad.
Pizzas – Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) is full of pizzerias. Try at least one before leaving town. Most tourists decide to accompany the pizza with a glass of beer ‘Cusqueña’.
Variety of ceviches
Frequently asked questions about restaurants on the trip to Machu Picchu
a) Where to find vegetarian food in Aguas Calientes?
Most restaurants offer options for vegetarians and vegans. Favorite dishes are: vegetarian burger, quinoa cake, carrot cake, etc.
b) Is there a restaurant or shop in the archaeological site of Machu Picchu?
There is no restaurant or shop inside the archeological site. However, there are shops and only one restaurant at the entrance door: the Tinkuy Buffet Sanctuary Lodge.
c) How to get to the Aguas Calientes supply market?
The food market offers the cheapest menus of Aguas Calientes. To get there you must reach the Plaza de Armas (Manco Cápac) of the town and enter through the second floor.
d) Where to have breakfast in Aguas Calientes?
Most restaurants offer lunch and dinner services. However, you can have breakfast in the cafes and bakeries that are there. In addition, most hotels in the town include breakfast.
e) Where to have drinks in Aguas Calientes?
In the village there are many bars and cafes where you can have cocktails, beers and more. Some hotels also offer bar service. The most famous cocktails in Peru are pisco sour and chilcano. There is even a cocktail called Machu Picchu.
f) What is the most exclusive restaurant in Machu Picchu?
In Aguas Calientes there are many high quality restaurants. One of the most exclusive is the ‘Tampu Restaurant Sanctuary Lodge’, located next to Machu Picchu and exclusive next to the Inca archaeological site.
g) What is the most famous dish in Cusco?
Cusco has its own cuisine characterized by using ingredients such as potatoes, trout, guinea pig, quinoa and more. The two most famous dishes of Cusco are the baked guinea pig and the fried trout.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, September 3, 2019