All about Covid 19 on the trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu
Is it possible to travel to Cusco and Machu Picchu in this time of the global pandemic caused by Covid 19? How can I travel to Peru for the dream trip? Do I have to apply a discard test? Know all the rules and health measures for the long-awaited vacation to the wonder of the world.
- About measurements on flights to Peru
- About Peru’s measures for foreigners
- Is Machu Picchu open? Which are the rules?
- Protection measures in other attractions of Cusco
- Protection measures of ‘Ticket Machu Picchu’
- More information
Machu Picchu, a safe destination for visitors
Currently Peru has relaxed its restrictions to allow travelers from all over the world to visit Machu Picchu. Thus, today it is not necessary to quarantine when entering the country. At the time of visiting Machu Picchu it is not necessary to present the vaccination card or the use of a face mask. The use of a mask is recommended but not mandatory during the visit.
About measurements on flights to Peru
- When staying at the Jorge Chávez International Airport in Lima, all tourists must carry a surgical mask, face shield as well as the required papers such as: boarding pass, passport, flight reservation, etc.
- Inside the airport there are protection measures such as hand disinfection, footwear, thermal cameras and acrylic protectors. Likewise, social distancing must be observed at all times.
- To enter the Peruvian territory (airport), all tourists must carry a negative Covid 19 molecular test with them in advance of a maximum of 3 days. It is also possible to show the medical certificate of epidemiological discharge.
- Finally, visitors must complete an electronic affidavit stating that they are in good health and comply with the measures established in Peruvian territory.
- On the other hand, ground transportation is closed until further notice. Only Peruvians or foreigners residing in the country may enter the land borders.
About Peru’s measures for foreigners
- Quarantining in Peru after a trip abroad is no longer mandatory.
- Previously, this was mandatory and required up to 14 days of quarantine in the city of Lima or the country’s provinces.
- In case the tourist tests positive for a Covid 19 test, he will be forced to quarantine in the famous Pan American Village or another establishment that the authorities make available to him.
- Finally, in any part of Peru, the use of masks and face shield is mandatory in public transport.
Is Machu Picchu open? Which are the rules?
- Since the beginning of the Covid 19 pandemic in Peru (which occurred in early March 2020), Machu Picchu has opened its doors for the second time. The first occurred in November of the same year. Then, it was closed again until March 1, 2021.
- Currently Machu Picchu remains open to the public .
- To visit the Inca city, it is necessary to comply with the use of masks, washing and disinfection of hands, disinfecting footwear, taking temperature and social distancing. The tour with a tour guide is mandatory.
- Likewise, the archaeological site of Machu Picchu maintains a maximum capacity of 40%. That is, only 897 people can visit Machupicchu per day.
- Due to protection measures, the Huayna Picchu mountain and the Machu Picchu mountain remain closed until further notice.
- The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (4 days of hiking) also remains closed to tourists until further notice. However, the short 2-day Inca Trail is open.
- The hotels and lodgings of Machu Picchu town comply with all the security measures against Covid 19 such as hand disinfection, footwear, temperature measurement and use of masks. The rooms are clean.
- Los pocos restaurantes en Machu Picchu pueblo también cumplen con todas las medidas de protección contra el Covid 19.
- Los servicios de buffet quedan cancelados. Actualmente los restaurantes cuentan con un menú variado.
- El aforo es limitado.
- The few restaurants in Machu Picchu town also comply with all the protection measures against Covid 19.
- Buffet services are canceled. Currently the restaurants have a varied menu.
- The capacity is limited.
The train ride
- The train trip necessary to get to Machu Picchu also has all the security measures. The Peru Rail and Inca Rail companies have a capacity of 50%.
- To travel by train, tourists must wear masks, disinfect their hands, footwear as well as the respective temperature measurement.
The bus trip
- The bus trip from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu also complies with the protection measures against Covid 19 such as the use of a mask, face shield, temperature measurement, disinfection of hands and footwear.
- The capacity is also 50% of the total bus capacity.
- Remember that the final bus trip takes 30 minutes. Tourists can also walk up to Machu Picchu (2 hours on foot).
Protection measures in other attractions of Cusco
- As well as Machu Picchu, other archaeological sites in Cusco comply with protection measures against Covid 19.
- Some of the most famous archaeological sites in Cusco are: Sacsayhuaman, Coricancha, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Maras, Moray, Tipón, Piquillacta, etc.
- The visit to all these tourist attractions is with a tour guide. If you hire a tour, the guide and other services are already included.
- All tours comply with the protection measures against Covid 19 such as the use of masks, transport at 50% of their capacity, disinfection of hands, footwear and social distancing during the route.
- The tourist attractions of Cusco remain open to the public.
Protection measures of ‘Ticket Machu Picchu’
- In ‘Ticket Machu Picchu’ we had protection measures for the tourist and our collaborators during the trip to Machu Picchu, the other tourist attractions of Cusco as well as the execution of our other services.
For the purchase of entrance to Machu Picchu
- The purchase of the entrance to Machu Picchu on our website is 100% online.
- The visitor makes their purchase online, pays with credit or debit cards and receives their tickets in their email ready to be printed.
- At no time is there physical contact between people, which reduces the chances of contagion from Covid 19.
For the tour to Machu Picchu:
- The purchase of our tours are made entirely online. This reduces the risks of contagion from Covid 19.
- The tour to Machu Picchu respects all the security measures adopted by the Peruvian State.
- The trip in the means of transport (minivan, train and bus) goes to 50% of its total capacity. The use of masks is mandatory as well as taking a temperature, disinfection of hands, footwear and social distance.
- Finally, in Machu Picchu the rules are respected to prevent the spread of Covid 19.
- Tours are carried out with groups of a maximum of 9 tourists.
For private transportation throughout Cusco
- Our private transportation (vans and minivans) are modern, spacious and clean. These vehicles are constantly disinfected to prevent the spread of Covid 19.
- Inside the vehicle, the use of masks is mandatory, as well as taking the temperature before starting the trip.
- Hand sanitizer is available to tourists at all times.
- The private transport service runs through all the tourist attractions of Cusco:
For the train ticket to Machu Picchu
- The purchase of the train ticket through this website is done online. This in order to reduce the risks of contagion by Covid 19.
- The trains are operated by the Peru Rail company, which has strict health safety measures such as: travel at 50% of its capacity, temperature measurement, use of masks, disinfection of hands, footwear and social distancing.
- The train trip covers the route Cusco – Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) .
For the bus ticket to Machu Picchu
- The purchase of the bus ticket in this medium is made through the web. Thus, there are no risks of contagion by Covid 19.
- The bus trip is operated by the company ‘Consettur’, which complies with measures against the pandemic, such as: travel at 50% of its capacity, temperature measurement, disinfection of hands, footwear and mandatory use of masks.
- The bus trip runs along the Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes route.
For the tour guide service
- To prevent contagion by Covid 19, the reservation of the tourist guide service is also made online.
- Our tour guides are professionals in different languages who have been trained in health protocols against Covid 19. They are in charge of respecting the rules established in each tourist place (such as Machu Picchu).
- The guided tour in Machu Picchu lasts approximately 2 hours 30 minutes and covers the entire archaeological site.
For other tours in Cusco
- In addition to the trip to Machu Picchu we offer tourist routes through other attractions of Cusco such as: Cusco City Tour, Sacred Valley tour of the Incas, Cusco South Valley tour, Maras-Moray tour, 7 Colors Mountain tour and Inca Trail tour (4 and 2 days).
- By measures established by the Peruvian State, the 4-day Inca Trail is temporarily closed. The short 2-day Inca Trail, on the other hand, is open to tourists.
- All tours obey the rules established by the health authorities. This is how we comply with: capacity of 50% of the transport (tours with a maximum of 9 people), temperature measurement, disinfection of hands and shoes, mandatory use of masks and social distancing.
- All tours offer: pick up, complete transportation, tickets, tour guide and others.
- In any of the tours, if the tourist shows symptoms of Covid 19, they will not be allowed to make the trip.
- On tours, if the visitor wants privacy and more security, they can hire a ‘private’ service for their family, friends or partner. This service is more expensive.
- For more information you can consult all the services offered by ‘Ticket Machu Picchu’ .
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, September 21, 2022