Machu Picchu is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the world. However, few people know that it is located in the Andes Mountains of Peru. In that geography it is normal to suffer from the so-called ‘altitude sickness’. That is why it is important to know the altitude of the Inca City and each of its tourist attractions.
- Machu Picchu and all its tourist attractions
- Where is Machu Picchu located?
- How high is Machu Picchu?
- How high is Huayna Picchu?
- How high is the Machu Picchu mountain?
- How high is the town of Aguas Calientes?
- How high is the city of Cusco?
- How high are other cities in Peru?
- Recommendations to avoid altitude sickness in Machu Picchu
The altitude sickness or ‘soroche’ is a natural malaise suffered by visitors to places of high altitude such as Cusco. Its most common symptoms are fatigue, shortness of breath and nausea. This evil can usually occur when a height of 8,202 ft is exceeded. (2,500 masl).
Machu Picchu and all its tourist attractions
- Machu Picchu has several tourist attractions such as: the Inca City, the Machu Picchu mountain, the Huayna Picchu mountain, the Site Museum and more.
- The Inca City, the Machu Picchu mountain and the Huayna Picchu are located in the Historic Sanctuary, a natural area protected by the Peruvian State.
- The Machu Picchu Site Museum is in Aguas Calientes, the closest town to the Inca City.
Where is Machu Picchu located?
- Machu Picchu is on the eastern side of the Andes Mountains, surrounded by the abundant vegetation of the Peruvian high jungle.
- It belongs to the department of Cusco, province of Urubamba, district of Aguas Calientes.
- This Inca archeological site is 80 kilometers away from the city of Cusco, the ancient capital of the Inca Empire.
- To the north of the Inca City is the famous Huayna Picchu mountain. To the west is the Machu Picchu mountain.
- A little further in front of Machu Picchu is the Putucusi mountain.
How high is Machu Picchu?
- Machu Picchu is located at an altitude of 7,972 feet or 2,430 meters above sea level (masl).
- At that altitude it is not frequent to suffer from the symptoms of altitude sickness.
Inca City of Machu Picchu
How high is Huayna Picchu?
- The Huayna Picchu mountain is located at an altitude of 8,923 feet (2,720 meters above sea level).
- At that altitude the tourist may slightly suffer from the symptoms of altitude sickness.
How high is the Machu Picchu mountain?
- The Machu Picchu mountain is located at an altitude of 10,111 feet (3,082 meters above sea level).
- At that height, most tourists suffer from some symptoms of altitude sickness such as difficulty breathing.
How high is the town of Aguas Calientes?
- The town of Aguas Calientes is 6,692 feet (2,040 meters above sea level).
- At that altitude no tourist suffers from altitude sickness.
How high is the city of Cusco?
- The city of Cusco is 11,151 feet (3,399 meters above sea level).
- At that altitude it is normal for tourists to feel the symptoms of altitude sickness such as fatigue, shortness of breath and even nausea.
How high are other cities in Peru?
|City||Height in feet||Height in meters|
|Lime||328 ft.||100 masl|
|Arequipa||7,660 ft.||2,335 masl|
|Fist||12,555 ft.||3,827 masl|
|Iquitos||328 ft.||100 masl|
|Piura||95 ft.||29 masl|
Recommendations to avoid altitude sickness in Machu Picchu
- In Machu Picchu tourists can experience altitude sickness (acute mountain sickness).
- This discomfort is usually experienced when a height of 2,500 meters is exceeded.
- The cusps of the Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains would be the only places where tourists can be prone to experience this evil.
- In general, there are few visitors to the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu who suffer this malaise.
- Once you have acclimatized in Cusco or the Sacred Valley of the Incas, you should not have problems with the altitude of Machu Picchu.
- In Machu Picchu you can still feel breathless in your tour of the site. However, the risk of suffering from altitude sickness will have been reduced.
Advice from people who have been there
“Height of Machu Picchu“
“After getting off the plane and strolling through Cusco, you feel that the air is missing, but after a few days and arriving in Machu Picchu you forget about everything and feel cured and full of energy and you become supercharged.“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, October 4, 2019