Ollantaytambo is a very famous town in Cusco, Peru. This place is very visited for its Inca ruins but also for being an obligatory destination before arriving at Machu Picchu, the Wonder of the World.
Learn how to get to Machu Picchu through the magical town of Ollantaytambo.
- The town of Ollantaytambo
- Route Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu: all the information
- Questions and answers about the route Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu
- How much does the train Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu cost?
- Can I get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu walking?
- Can I get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu by bus?
- Can I get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu by taxi?
- How to get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu cheap?
- How long does it take to travel by train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu?
- We recommend you to plan your trip to Machu Picchu in advance
Train Station to Machupicchu in Ollantaytambo
The town of Ollantaytambo
What is the town of Ollantaytambo?
Ollantaytambo is a famous town located in the Sacred Valley of the Incas in Cusco, Peru. Its fame is due to the fact that it is the only Inca town that preserves its streets and urban design. In it is the important Archaeological Site of Ollantaytambo.
How far is it from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu?
Ollantaytambo is also famous for being a mandatory route before reaching Machu Picchu. Both tourist destinations are separated by 32 kilometers away.
Where is the Ollantaytambo train station located?
The train station is located on the avenue Ferrocarril s / n, 15 minutes walk from the Main Square of the town of Ollantaytambo.
How to get to Ollantaytambo train station?
To get to Ollantaytambo you will need to board a minivan from the Pavitos street in the city of Cusco. This trip will cost around S/. 15 (US $ 4). The final whereabouts of these cars is in Ollantaytambo, just a few meters from the train station.
Route Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu: all the information
How to get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu?
If you are not going to do the Inca Trail, the only way to get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu is to take a train from the Ollantaytambo station to the town of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town).
Once in Aguas Calientes the next step is to board one of the buses that transport passengers to the entrance gate to Machu Picchu.
How is the train ride from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes?
The train ride from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes runs along the banks of the Urubamba River through the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
This 2-hour train ride is considered one of the most beautiful short routes that exist. Do not forget to take your camera well charged.
How to book train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu?
To book train tickets, just go to the website of the companies: Peru Rail or Inca Rail.
Both companies are responsible for the transportation service from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. They have web platforms to make the reservation online.
The trains to Machu Picchu have different types of services according to the need of the visitor: from the tourist class to the most luxurious services with everything included.
What to do in Ollantaytambo while waiting for the train?
If you have some free time in the town of Ollantaytambo, you can enjoy the ancient Inca buildings that will leave you speechless:
- The ruins of Ollantaytambo – One of the most beautiful Inca archaeological sites that exist throughout the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- The town of Ollantaytambo – The only town in Peru that preserves its old Inca urban organization. Its walls combine Inca, Spanish and modern architecture.
- The Sito de Ollantaytambo Museum – This exhibition presents the historical evolution of the town and the region in a didactic way.
The Temple of the Sun in Ollantaytambo
Questions and answers about the route Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu
How much does the train Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu cost?
The price of train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu depends on the type of service that the tourist wishes.
These are the prices of Peru Rail trains:
|How much does the train to Machu Picchu cost?|
|Type of service ‘Peru Rail’ (round trip)||Price in dollars||Price in soles|
|Train ‘Expedition’||$ 140||S/. 459|
|Train ‘Vistadome’||$ 190||S/. 623|
|Luxury train ‘Hiram Bingham’||$ 950||S/. 3115|
|Local train (only for Peruvians)||$ 6||S/. 20|
These are the prices of Inca Rail trains:
|How much does the train to Machu Picchu cost?|
|Service type of ‘Inca Rail’ (Round trip)||Price in dollars||Price in soles|
|The Voyager||$ 140||S/. 459|
|The 360º||$ 150||S/. 491|
|The First Class||$ 398||S/. 1305|
Can I get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu walking?
It is possible to get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu walking. Although very few tourists dare to follow the 30 kilometers distance between both points, the adventure can be incredible. The road follows the train route.
Can I get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu by bus?
No. The only means of transport from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu is the train. To arrive by bus, you have to take the alternative hydroelectric route. This section takes between 4 or 5 hours by bus.
Can I get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu by taxi?
No. Taxis only do the Cusco – Ollantaytambo service. From there you can arrive by train to the town of Aguas Calientes. Then take a bus to the entrance gate to Machu Picchu.
How to get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu cheap?
The cheapest way to get from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu is by walking. Another alternative is to continue on the alternative route from Hidroeléctrica to Machu Picchu.
Peruvian tourists can access a special service called ‘Local Train’ to Machu Picchu. The cost of this trip is 10 soles ($ 3).
How long does it take to travel by train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu?
The train ride from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu has a maximum duration of 2 hours. The final destination is the Aguas Calientes station.
We recommend you to plan your trip to Machu Picchu in advance
- The train ride from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu as well as the entire trip to the ‘Lost City of the Incas’ should be planned ahead of time.
- Machu Picchu tickets must be reserved weeks before the visit.
- The entrance to the Huayna Picchu mountain must be reserved up to 3 months before the trip.
- During the high season of tourism (April to October) you must plan tickets, hotels, tours and other services in advance.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, March 26, 2019