Buses to Machu Picchu
The buses depart from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and vice versa. The road is called Hiram Bingham in honor of the American explorer who in 1911 unveiled the Inca City to the world. The route covers approximately 9 kilometers of ascent and another 9 kilometers of return. The trip takes 30 minutes.
- The trip by bus to Machu Picchu: route, frequency and time
- Bus tickets to Machu Picchu: sale, prices and discounts
- Tips and more information about the bus trip
Bus to Machu Picchu
Buses cover the Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu route. To get to Aguas Calientes you must take a bus to the Ollantaytambo train station. From there you must board a train to Machu Picchu town.
The trip by bus to Machu Picchu: route, frequency and time
The bus trip to Machu Picchu is the last section of the route to get from Cusco to the Inca City . The bus leaves from Aguas Calientes and ends right at the door of the archaeological site. Although it is also possible to climb on foot, the vast majority of tourists choose to travel by bus to visit the Wonder of the World.
What is the route of the bus trip to Machu Picchu?
- The trip by bus covers the route Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes . It runs approximately 9 kilometers in each section.
- This route can also be done on foot. However, most tourists choose to do it by bus.
How long does the bus ride take?
- The trip takes approximately 30 minutes of climb and another 30 minutes of return.
- If the tourist climbs on foot it takes between 2 or 3 hours, depending on the physical condition of the visitor.
Where to board the buses from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu?
- The buses are addressed half a block from the Aguas Calientes train station. The bus stop is on Hermanos Ayar a / n avenue .
- It is not necessary to take a taxi in Aguas Calientes to reach the bus stop. The town is small and safe. No taxi transits there since you get to everywhere walking.
What is the departure frequency of the buses?
- In the early hours of the morning the buses depart every 5 minutes from the Aguas Calientes bus station.
- From 9 in the morning the buses depart every 10 minutes from Aguas Calientes.
- In Machu Picchu buses leave every 10 minutes for the return trip .
What time does the first and last bus leave?
- The first bus leaves from Aguas Calientes at 5.30 in the morning. The last bus leaves at 3.30 in the afternoon.
- In Machu Picchu, the last buses return at 5.30 in the afternoon.
Bus tickets to Machu Picchu: sale, prices and discounts
Train tickets and entrance tickets to Machu Picchu must be purchased weeks or even months in advance. The case of bus tickets is different: these can be purchased the same day of the trip. Visitors can choose the full trip (roundtrip) or just one trip (either return or return).
Where to buy bus tickets to Machu Picchu?
Bus tickets to Machu Picchu can only be purchased in person and with your current passport in the following places:
In Aguas Calientes:
- In Av. Hermanos Ayar S / N, before the Puente Ruinas. The ticket office is open from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- In Av. Infancia 433 – Wanchaq. The ticket office is open from 8 a.m. to 12.45 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- In Av. El Sol 380 – Banco Interbank. The ticket office is open from 8 am to 12.45 pm and from 3 pm to 6 pm
Remember the following:
- During the high season in Machu Picchu (June, July and August) there are usually large queues at the Aguas Calientes box office.
- A good option is to buy bus tickets in the city of Cusco. Remember that tickets are valid for 3 days after the date chosen for your visit.
How much do bus tickets cost?
- Prices vary according to the age and nationality of the tourist. Peruvians (nationals) and children (5 to 11 years old) have a discount on their rate .
- Visitors can choose the round trip. The other option is to choose only one section: either only the one-way trip or only the return trip.
|Buses route: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu||Price|
|Foreign adult: rise and return||USD 24 (USD)|
|Foreign adult: a single trip||12 USD (US dollars)|
|Foreign child: rise and return||12 USD (US dollars)|
|Foreign child: one trip||USD 7 (US dollars)|
|National adult: rise and return||USD 15 (US dollars)|
|National adult: a single trip||USD 8 (US dollars)|
|National student: rise and return||USD 10 (USD)|
|National student: one trip||USD 6 (USD)|
|National child: rise and return||USD 8 (US dollars)|
|National child: one trip||USD 5 (US dollars)|
How long before buying the bus tickets?
- Bus tickets can be purchased in person on the same day of the visit to Machu Picchu .
- A second option is to do it online. However, you do not need to do it ahead of time because the tickets do not run out.
If you decide to go on foot from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, remember that you will travel 9 kilometers through hundreds of stone stairways. Then, in the Inca City, a tour of approximately 2 hours (on foot) awaits you.
Bus stop in the city of Machu Picchu
Tips and more information about the bus trip
Walking up from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu is exhausting. It is not recommended to go on foot if you are traveling with children, older adults or if you will visit the Huayna Picchu. The buses are ecological (they do not pollute the environment) and safe.
Can I get on foot if I do not buy the bus ticket?
- Yes, you can climb the 9 kilometers that link Aguas Calientes with Machu Picchu on foot . The route has a moderate difficulty. It takes 2 to 3 hours on average.
- The road follows the Hiram Bingham road to a point of detour. There tourists must climb hundreds of stone stairways. You need a good physical condition to get to Machu Picchu.
In which cases is it advisable to board the buses to Machu Picchu?
The walk from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu is very beautiful but can be tired . So we recommend doing the walk unless you are in the following situations:
If you come with children or elderly people
Come with children or elderly people will demand to buy bus tickets to Machu Picchu . The walk can be exhausting. Remember that the best of the Inca City is in the mountains and you will need energy to travel it.
If you think you do not have a good physical condition
If you think that you will arrive very tired after traveling the climb from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, then better board one of the buses. You will not like to be tired when you enjoy the Inca City.
If you have reserved the tickets for the mountains of Machu Picchu
The tours of the Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains are tired but offer some of the best views of the Inca City. To ascend these peaks, you will need all your energy. Therefore it is advisable to buy bus tickets.
Is it dangerous to travel by bus to Machu Picchu?
- The trip by bus to Machu Picchu is not dangerous . The Hiram Bingham highway is designed only for the passage of buses that take the Inca City. In addition, the trip is short: it lasts only 30 minutes.
Advice from people who have been there
“Simply wonderful! How do you describe such a place? There are no words. I recommend to board the first bus to Machu Picchu, it is the best time to have the fabulous Inca city without so many people; after 11 is full and it is impossible to take photos and walk without crashing or bumping into other people. Seeing Machu Picchu is already amazing, but for a guide to tell you his story as you travel, it's Wow! The experience.“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, July 17, 2019