The Inca Trail is one of the best 5 walks in the world. Unfortunately, this hiking trail closes in February of each year. So, if you want to visit Machu Picchu in February, you can not enter the Inca Trail. You will have to settle for arriving by train through the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- When does the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu close?
- Why does the Inca Trail close in February?
- So, how to get to Machu Picchu in February?
- How to reserve the income of the Inca Trail?
- Can I do the Inca Trail on my own?
- When is the best month to do the Inca Trail?
- Alternatives to the Inca Trail in February
- Machu Picchu closes in February?
- Huayna Picchu closes in February?
The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
When does the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu close?
- The Inca Trail (the 4-day trekking route to Machu Picchu) remains closed to tourists during the month of February.
- The rest of the year, the Inca Trail is open to the public except in case of emergency.
- February brings with it the strongest rains of the season. So, regardless of whether it is the classic Inca Trail or its short version (2
days), it is impossible to do so in February.
In 2019, the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu closes all February. The sale of entry permits for that month is prohibited.
Why does the Inca Trail close in February?
- February is the rainiest month in Cusco and Machu Picchu. The institutions in charge indicate that “You will not be able to enter Machu Picchu by the Inca Trail in February.”
- The objective of this closure is not only to preserve the old Inca Trail but also for safety.
- During that month, conservation and maintenance works are carried out. The deteriorated parts of the road are repaired. The terraces and camping sites are arranged.
So, how to get to Machu Picchu in February?
- As you can see, entering Machu Picchu on the Inca Trail in February is impossible.
- If you only have free time to visit Machu Picchu in February, you will have to arrive by train through a 2 hour trip through the Sacred Valley.
- Another option is to get to Machu Picchu through the alternative route of Hydroelectric. This form is longer (lasts 7 hours approximately) but more full of adventure.
How to reserve the income of the Inca Trail?
- The sale of the entrance permits to the Inca Trail is only through the authorized tourism agencies.
- The purchase is online with time in advance.
- If you do not book tickets at least 6 months in advance, you can not get to Machu Picchu on the Inca Trail.
Can I do the Inca Trail on my own?
- The only way to do the Inca Trail is to hire the service with an authorized agency. There is no way to do it otherwise.
- You can book the Inca Trail for the whole year. Only in February you will have to get to Machu Picchu by train or by the hydroelectric route.
When is the best month to do the Inca Trail?
- The Inca Trail is wonderful throughout the year. However, the months of June, July, August and September have a more pleasant climate for walks.
- During those months, the rains are scarce. In addition, the sun is radiant in the mornings and afternoons. At night the cold makes it necessary to take shelter.
Alternatives to the Inca Trail in February
If you want to get to Machu Picchu walking in February, you can choose other incredible routes.
The Inca Jungle – Offers one of the most adventurous ways to get to Machu Picchu. It combines downhill biking, rafting, zip-line and hiking.
Salkantay trek – This alternative hike lasts 5 days. It crosses the imposing Salkantay mountain at 4,650 meters above sea level until reaching Machu Picchu passing through Aguas Calientes.
Lares Trek – This trek has many variations. The starting point is the town of Lares in Cusco. After 4 days of hiking, you will arrive at Machu Picchu.
Machu Picchu closes in February?
- Keep in mind that the closure of the Inca Trail in February does not affect visits to Machu Picchu in any way.
- The sale of tickets to the ‘Inca City’ does not close in February. Machu Picchu remains open all year except for some emergency situation.
Huayna Picchu closes in February?
- Like Machu Picchu, the Huayna Picchu mountain is open all year, including February.
- The Waynapicchu mountain is considered one of the best short walks in the world. Tickets must be purchased 3 or 4 months before.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, January 22, 2019