Machu Picchu is one of the 7 wonders of the modern world. It is one of the favorite places of travelers in the world. And not only for the incredible stone city erected by the Incas, but for everything that surrounds this great tourist destination. The experience of traveling to the historic Inca city is unique in the world. Its landscapes, its buildings, its stories, everything makes Machu Picchu definitely an unmissable destination.
- Is Machu Picchu one of the best destinations in the world?
- Machu Picchu destination 2023
- Why visit Machu Picchu?
- Protection of Machu Picchu
- Tips for your trip in 2023
- Photo gallery
Is Machu Picchu one of the best destinations in the world?
- For several consecutive years Machu Picchu has been chosen among the best destinations to be visited by recognized media and world tourism institutions.
- In 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021 Machu Picchu, the prestigious World Travel Awards recognized Machu Picchu as the “Best tourist attraction in the world”.
- This recognition is also supported by the thousands of recommendations made by tourists who have visited the Inca city on the various traveler websites.
- In 2020 the global pandemic caused the closure of Machu Picchu. However, thanks to the security protocols implemented by the Peruvian authorities, the safe reopening was achieved.
- Specialized blogs will also describe the incredible experience of visiting Machu Picchu. Most agree that the ‘Inca city’ is one of the best tourist destinations in the world.
Machu Picchu destination 2023
- In 2023 Machu Picchu once again became one of the best tourist destinations in the world.
- One of the great novelties is the creation of the route of hiking to the top of the Huchuy Picchu mountain, located north of the Inca city. This walk can only be done with the purchase of the ticket ‘Machu Picchu with Huchuy Picchu’, which has the same cost as the basic ticket ‘Machupicchu Only’.
- To enter the Inca city it is not mandatory to comply with all the security protocols against Covid 19: use of masks, hand disinfection and vaccination card. However, the use of these protocols is recommended.
- The entrances to the mountains: Huayna Picchu, Huchuy Picchu and Mountain are enabled for all visitors.
Why visit Machu Picchu?
These are some reasons to visit Machu Picchu:
The center of the world
- The great adventure of going to Machu Picchu begins in Cusco, one of the most beautiful cities in South America. Cusco is considered the “Archaeological Capital of America”.
- Cusco awaits you with its streets with stone walls and colonial houses, its imposing churches, museums and the spectacular fortress of Sacsayhuamán.
- The ancient capital of Tahuantinsuyo also awaits you with a great variety of cultural and musical shows and nightlife.
The valley chosen by the Inca emperors
- The Sacred Valley of the Incas will definitely be part of your tour, whether before or after visiting Machu Picchu.
- It is a beautiful valley surrounded by snow-capped mountains and with wonderful villages that you can find throughout the entire route.
- Pisac, Ollantaytambo and Chinchero will enchant you with their magnificent Inca remains and their present living culture. Maras and Moray will surprise you with the salt mines and the circular platforms that are an enigma. And you can still find even more.
The Inca wonder, unique and splendid
- Machu Picchu is the destination that all visitors want to know.
- Getting to the sacred city of the Incas is a great experience, as you can do it in several ways.
- Going by train to the Inca llaqta is simply spectacular. Andean and jungle landscapes can be seen throughout the tour.
- But when it comes to adventure, there is no better way to go to Machu Picchu than by the Inca Trail, considered one of the best treks in the world.
- The four days it lasts (in its classic version) are a true journey through time and the end of which is neither more nor less than the Inca city, an exceptional experience.
More adventures and unique experiences
- And if all of the above were not enough, you can make excursions such as to the Inca city of Choquequirao (the sister city of Machu Picchu), the Salkantay trek (which also ends in Machu Picchu) and the now famous trek to the Mountain of 7 colors.
- On your trip you will be able to do adventure sports of all kinds, hikes through incredible natural settings and experience experiential and mystical tourism.
Protection of Machu Picchu
- The Sanctuary of Machu Picchu is no longer on the list of heritage sites that run the risk of being in danger.
- The Unesco World Heritage Committee approved the favorable report on the state of conservation of the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
- The actions taken by the authorities in charge of the sanctuary make the Inca city sustainable, both for its conservation and for tourism.
- Although it is true that the capacity to receive visitors increased in Machu Picchu, its limit is strict, now the entrance is done in shifts, which helps to order and reduce the flow of tourists that the sanctuary supports at peak times.
- Over time, surely more actions will be taken to continue with the conservation and preservation of Machu Picchu. However, currently it is completely safe to visit the Inca city, always following the recommendations of the authorities.
Tips for your trip in 2023
- In 2023 it is not necessary to use masks.
- The purchase of entrance tickets to Machu Picchu must be done online in advance. This can also be done in person in the city of Cusco. However, to avoid queues and crowds, it is best to do it online.
- After purchasing your ticket to Machu Picchu, do not forget to do the same with your train ticket. These tickets can be purchased both online and in person. It is advisable to choose the date and time according to the day chosen for your visit to Machupicchu.
- Once in Cusco, take advantage of the first day to adapt to the mountainous geography of the Cusco city. Then, the second, third or following days; You can choose to take a tour or visit Machu Picchu.
Advice from people who have been there
“First of all, say that the quotas are over quickly so you must buy the tickets months in advance. I liked the impressive view and classical photographs. Highly recommended!“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, April 28, 2023