How much does the trip to Machu Picchu cost in 2022? The trip to the Wonder of the World in Cusco, Peru; Begins with the reservation of the tickets. Then you have to buy train and bus tickets as well as hotels, guides and additional tours.
- Is the trip to Machu Picchu expensive?
- How much does the trip to Machu Picchu cost?
- How much is spent in total?
- Budget for the alternative Santa Teresa route
- Useful data to calculate your travel budget
- Questions and answers about the trip to Machu Picchu 2022
Is the trip to Machu Picchu expensive?
The amount of money that the trip to Machu Picchu costs depends on the experiences that the visitor is looking for. It is true that there are hotels in Cusco and Aguas Calientes where you would have to pay $ 800 or more for one night.
However, know that a trip to the Wonder of the World does not have to be expensive. Moreover, it is known that Cusco, in Peru, is one of the most accessible destinations in the Americas.
Tourist in Machu Picchu
The price of the trip will depend on the style of travel you want to have. There are many options to choose from. From backpacker routes to total luxury.
How much does the trip to Machu Picchu cost?
One of the safest ways to travel to Machu Picchu is through an organized tour. However, the most economical and free way is to do it on your own.
For a trip to Machu Picchu on your own it is essential:
- Air tickets to Lima (Peru) and then to Cusco.
- Tickets to Machu Picchu.
- Train tickets from Ollantaytambo (Cusco) to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo).
- Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu.
How much does the transportation service cost in Cusco?
In Cusco, taxi services cost between 5 to 10 soles (approximately $ 3) per trip. The minivan transport from Cusco to Ollantaytambo is 10 Peruvian soles.
Approximate prices of plane from Lima to Cusco:
The prices of flights to Peru depend on the country of origin. In any case, the destination is the Jorge Chávez airport in Lima. From there you should take another flight to the city of Cusco.
These are the costs:
Estimated price for flights from Lima (Peru) to Cusco:
Airlines (Lima-Cusco-Lima) Round trip price) Peruvian Airlines 299 S/. (93 U$D) LATAM 291 S/. (90 U$D) Avianca 389 S/. (121 U$D) Star Peru 480 S/. (150 U$D) LC Perú 487 S/. (152 U$D)
* Reference prices.
Official Machu Picchu ticket prices:
Tickets to Machu Picchu must be booked online and in advance due to limited availability. There is an official site that sells tickets. However, to purchase tickets for a university student must be purchased through a tourism agency.
These are the official prices:
Entrance price Machu Picchu Only
Foreign Price National (Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador). Price Adult 152 S/ Adult 64 S/. Student 77 S/ Student 32 S/. Child (8 to 17 years old) 77 S/. Child (3 to 17 years old) 32 S/.
Entrance price Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu
Foreign Price National (Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador). Price Adult 200 S/ Adult 112 S/. Student 118 S/ Student 80 S/. Child (8 to 17 years old) 118 S/. Child (12 to 17 years old) 80 S/.
Entrance price Machu Picchu + Mountain
Foreign Price National (Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador). Price Adult 200 S/ Adult 112 S/. Student 118 S/ Student 80 S/. Child (8 to 17 years old) 118 S/. Child (3 to 17 years old) 80 S/.
Entrance price Machu Picchu + Huchuy Picchu
Foreign Price National (Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador). Price Adult 152 S/ Adult 64 S/. Student 77 S/ Student 32 S/. Child (3 to 17 years old) 77 S/. Child (3 to 17 years old) 32 S/.
The authorized purchase office of the Machu Picchu entrance in Cusco is at the following address:
- Garcilaso House – Garcilaso Street s/n Cusco – Peru (2 blocks from the Main Square).
- Decentralized Address of Culture Cusco: Street Maruri 324.
- To buy tickets to Machu Picchu, tourists must approach these offices with their identity document or passport.
- The offices are in the Historical Center of Cusco. Getting there takes approximately 15 minutes.
- The queues to buy the Machu Picchu ticket in Cusco can take 30 minutes on average.
- Tickets for university students are purchased only in person or online through tourism agencies.
- The updated university student card is the only valid document to make the purchase of the discount ticket for students.
Why buy online?
To buy Machu Picchu tickets in Cusco you must make long lines at the authorized offices. Also, you may not find availability. The best option is to do it online.
Price of trains to Machu Picchu
There are two train companies: Peru Rail and Inca Rail. In both cases it is recommended to buy the ticket online and in advance. Otherwise, the tourist must make long queues in Cusco to get their tickets. Above, you may not find availability.
These are the reference prices of Peru Rail and Inca Rail:
Price of trains Peru Rail route Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu (roundtrip)
Train service Price in dollars Price in soles Train ‘Expedition’ $ 140 S/. 459 Train ‘Vistadome’ $ 190 S/. 623 Luxury train ‘Hiram Bingham’ * $ 950 S/. 3115 Local train (only for Peruvians) $ 6 S/. 20
*The Hiram Bingham luxury train departs directly from Cusco.
Price of trains Inca Rail route Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu (roundtrip)
Train service Price in dollars Price in soles Economy class $ 140 S/. 459 Executive class $ 150 S/. 491 First class $ 398 S/. 1305
The purchase of train tickets in person is in the following offices in Cusco:
- Portal de Carnes 214, Main Square of Cusco.
- Square Regocijo 202, Cusco.
- Av. Ferrocarril s / n, Ollantaytambo Sacred Valley of Cusco.
- Street Portal de Panes 105, Main Square Cusco.
- Av. El Sol 843, Cusco.
- Train station Ollantaytambo: Av. Ferrocarril s / n, Sacred Valley of Cusco.
- To buy the train tickets in person, the tourist must approach the sales offices with their identity document or passport.
- Train tickets are subject to availability. When you buy at the last minute you run the risk of not finding tickets available.
- Arriving at the train ticket sales offices, making the queue and the purchase can take an average of 1 hour. That is why it is recommended to buy tickets online.
- Children under 11 receive a discount of almost 50% of the value of the train ticket.
How long does it take to buy the tickets, train tickets and bus to Machu Picchu?
The ticket purchase offices, train and bus tickets are in different places. Therefore, buying these tickets in person in Cusco can take half a day.
Price of buses to Machu Picchu
Bus tickets can be purchased without problems online or in Cusco. However, when boarding the bus there are usually long queues (especially in the mornings). The bus trip takes 30 minutes on average. Another option is to walk up to Machu Picchu (2 hours approximately).
These are the official prices of bus tickets:
Price of buses from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (round trip)
Bus service (round trip) Price in dollars Price in soles Foreign adult $ 24 S/. 78 Peruvian adult $ 15 S/. 49 Foreign child (5 to 11 years old) $ 12 S/. 39 Peruvian child (5 to 11 years old) $ 8 S/. 26
The purchase of bus tickets in person is in the following offices in Cusco:
- Av. Infancia 433, Wanchaq – Cusco.
- Av. Hermanos Ayar, District of Aguas Calientes – Cusco.
- To buy bus tickets in person, the visitor must approach the offices with their passport or identity document.
- To make the purchase in the Aguas Calientes office, the visitor must make a queue of approximately 15 minutes.
Why ride by bus to Machu Picchu?
Most tourists decide to take the bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu to save their energy and travel the Inca City better. In any case, young tourists in good physical condition can climb on foot to the Wonder of the World.
How much is spent in total?
Below we present an approximate budget for people who wish to travel without a tour and considering standard services.
Average budget for a trip to Machu Picchu:
Average budget for a foreign adult Price in dollars Lima-Cusco plane ticket $ 125 Travel by minivan Cusco – Ollantaytambo $ 3 Train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes (round trip) $ 140 Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (round trip) $ 24 Entrance to Machu Picchu 152 S/. ($ 47) Total cost: $ 339
*The budget does not include hotel services, meals, additional tours and flights from abroad to Lima (Peru).
How much does it cost one night in a hotel in Aguas Calientes?
The 3 star hotels in Aguas Calientes have an average cost of 200 soles ($ 63) per night. The restaurants of Peruvian cuisine, 100 soles per person ($ 31).
Budget for the alternative Santa Teresa route
The train is not the only way to reach the Wonder of the World. In addition there are other alternative routes such as the Inca Trail or the route through Santa Teresa to Machu Picchu.
The route mixes a trip by bus and hike along the Santa Teresa route, through Santa María, also known as the route through Hidroeléctrica. This is the budget:
- Getting to Santa Teresa will cost around $ 30.
- The stretch in minivans, from Santa Teresa to Hidroeléctrica will cost between $ 1.5 and $ 3. Note the return price (to take the same route).
- From here you can walk along the train tracks to reach the town of Aguas Calientes. We recommend you bring water $ 0.65.
- One night in Aguas Calientes with a basic service can cost you around $ 25.
- The next day; You can go from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu walking, but if you do not do so, remember; The round trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu will cost you $ 24.
- Average budget for a trip to Machu Picchu by the route of Santa Teresa
Average budget for a foreign adult Price in dollars Lima-Cusco-Lima plane ticket $ 125 Trip to Machu Picchu on the route of Santa Teresa $ 30 Go up and down to Machu Picchu walking $ 0 Entrance to Machu Picchu 152 S/. ($ 47) Total cost: $ 202
The Inca Trail (4 days and 3 nights)
Getting to Machu Picchu through the 4 days and 3 nights trekking route known as the ‘Inca Trail’ costs approximately 800 dollars per person.
Useful data to calculate your travel budget
You should have your Machu Picchu entrance purchased before you get to Aguas Calientes. We also recommend having available change (in soles and dollars). Nobody will change a $ 100 bill for a bottle of water and snacks. In case of food, we recommend you spare no expense, remember that Peru is the best culinary destination in the world.
These data have been collected from people who recently traveled with us.
Hotels in Cusco
In Cusco there are hotels for all budgets. You can find cheap hotels (between $ 15 and $ 60). Transportation in Cusco is economical. Getting to the center will only take a few minutes by taxi and is very cheap (between $ 1.5 and $ 2).
There are highly recommended restaurants in Cusco and Machu Picchu (from $ 20 the plate). However, you can also enjoy Peruvian food in the markets. In Cusco, there is the San Pedro market (only a few blocks from the city center), a lunch will cost you there between $ 2 and $ 4.
- Taxis within the city: $ 1.5.
- Taxis from the airport to the city center: between $ 5 and $ 3.
- From Cusco to Ollantaytambo in minivans: from $ 4 per person (one way)
Tickets to other tourist attractions in Cusco
The Cusco Tourist Ticket includes 16 places in Cusco and the Sacred Valley of the Incas (includes Ollantaytambo, Sacsayhuaman, Pisac, Qenko, Puca Pucara, Tipon, Moray, Pikillacta). Everything will cost around $ 45. Students pay 50% discount.
Guides in Machu Picchu
Guided service in Machu Picchu is mandatory. You can reserve one in advance online. You can also hire a guide at the entrance door. It will cost around $ 10.
Questions and answers about the trip to Machu Picchu 2022
1) Is Machu Picchu open due to a pandemic?
Yes, Machu Picchu remains open in 2022. The Inca citadel is open every day of the year from 6 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon.
2) Is it necessary to have a vaccination card to enter Machu Picchu?
No, this document is not necessary. However, it is necessary to board the train to Machu Picchu.
3) How much does a cheap menu cost in Machu Picchu?
The cheap menus on the trip are found in the town of Aguas Calientes and cost from 10 soles or more. A good idea is to go to the town food market.
4) Is the use of masks or face shields mandatory in Machu Picchu?
Inside Machu Picchu in 2022 the use of masks is mandatory. The use of face shields is not mandatory.
5) Is the Hidroeléctrica route still open in 2022?
Yes, the economic route through Hidroeléctrica remains open. It is recommended to do it from April to December, when the rains are not so intense.
6) How much does the bus trip to Machu Picchu cost in 2022?
The price of the bus ticket to Machu Picchu is the same: 24 dollars (round trip) for foreigners and 15 dollars (round trip) for Peruvians.
7) What is the new Huchuy Picchu entrance? What does it include?
This new ticket offers a visit to the archaeological site of Machu Picchu as well as a very short hiking trail (only 1 kilometer) to the top of the Huchuy Picchu mountain.
8) Do all entrances to Machu Picchu allow me to take the classic postcard photo?
No. Currently there are strict routes in each type of ticket to Machu Picchu. Therefore, only the ‘Machupicchu Only’ ticket allows you to get that postcard photo with the Inca city in the background.
9) How long can I stay in Machu Picchu in 2022?
Tourists who make the visit with the ‘Machupicchu Only’ ticket can stay up to 4 hours, more than enough time for a complete tour. The other tickets to the mountains of Machu Picchu give you up to 7 hours to get to know the Inca city and the mountains.
10) Is the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu open in 2022? How much does it cost?
Yes, the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu remains open all year round, except for February (due to heavy rains). The cost is 600 dollars on average (varies depending on the tourism agency you choose). Remember that you must buy online approximately 6 months in advance.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, February 4, 2022