Machu Picchu is open to visitors all year round, so you can schedule your dream trip to the Inca wonder at any time of the year. But factors such as the weather and the prices of services can determine the month in which you want to visit Machu Picchu.
- In which month of the year is it best to visit Machu Picchu?
- January, February and March, the rainy season in Machu Picchu Picchu
- April and May, good months to go to Machu Picchu
- June, the jubilee month in Cusco
- July and August, high season in Machu Picchu
- September and October, nice weather in Machu Picchu
- November and December, a good option
Choose the best time of the year for you and visit the Inca city of Machu Picchu
In which month of the year is it best to visit Machu Picchu?
- Machu Picchu is open every day of the year, including holidays and holidays. Because of this, any day is great to meet him. However, according to tour guides, the dry season months are a good time to go. These are: from April to November.
- Machu Picchu has a special location, it is located on the edge of the jungle, but very close to it are snow-capped mountains of the Andean mountain range such as Salcantay or Verónica, these factors make the climate in Machu Picchu be changeable.
- In Machu Picchu there are two marked seasons, the dry season (from April to September) and which coincides with the high season of tourism, and the rainy season (from October to March).
- The offer of services also varies depending on the season, so if you want to get good services at reduced prices, you should come during the rainy season.
- The advantage of the rainy season is that you can find better prices and, if it doesn’t rain on the day of your visit, you can get excellent photos of Machu Picchu. The advantage of the dry season is that there is less chance of rain and you can make your visit without inconvenience.
January, February and March, the rainy season in Machu Picchu Picchu
- These are the rainiest months in Machu Picchu and in general in the Cusco region, during most of the days the sky is cloudy, but there are also short periods of clear days.
- The temperature is relatively pleasant with an average of 14°C. Although the rains can represent an inconvenience when visiting Machu Picchu, they make Machu Picchu dress in a spectacular green and with colorful flora in all its surroundings. In addition, the clouds and the rain make Machu Picchu become a fabled setting, almost surreal.
- One of the main advantages of visiting Machu Picchu in these months is that you can find the vast majority of services at reduced prices, and with many offers on luxury services.
- So with a moderate budget you can greatly enjoy your stay in Machu Picchu, and if you are one of the travelers who wants to save as much as possible, this is the time to visit the Inca city.
April and May, good months to go to Machu Picchu
- April is one of the best months to visit Machu Picchu, the rains are minimal and the days become sunnier and more pleasant.
- Although the high tourist season begins this month, it is still possible to find offers in tourist services.
- In the month of May the days are already completely clear, except for some occasional rain that usually occurs, the dry season is already making itself felt, with sunny days and cold nights.
- During this month there is a large number of visitors who arrive at the Inca city of Machu Picchu and tourist services rise in price. In May it is already possible to see and enjoy many of the activities of the jubilee festivities of Cusco.
June, the jubilee month in Cusco
- Without a doubt, June is the month in which Cusco has the most tourist activity, and Machu Picchu is full of tourists from all over the world.
- June is the jubilee month of Cusco due to the multiple festivities that take place throughout the region. Particularly noteworthy are Corpus Christi, the festival in honor of the Lord of Qoylluriti and Inti Raymi (the festival of the sun).
- June is the month chosen by many tourists to get to know Cusco and Machu Picchu. Also because it coincides with the beginning of the summer school holidays in Europe and the United States.
- The weather this month is sunny during the day and very cold at night, especially at dawn.
- The services are saturated so it is convenient to reserve them before arriving at Machu Picchu.
- All this is reinforced by the activities carried out in the city of Cusco, since in June its festivities are celebrated and multiple shows are performed, such as the Inti Raymi ceremony.
Machu Picchu crowded with tourists in the month of June
July and August, high season in Machu Picchu
- July and August are the months in which Cusco and Machu Picchu receive the largest number of visitors per day.
- The weather is hot during the day but cold at night and early in the morning. Rains are rare, so visitors can make their outdoor excursions with greater safety and freedom.
- During these months the winter of the mountains is accentuated, the days are similar to those of June, they are months in which Machu Picchu receives a high traffic of visitors, and tourist services are highly required.
- Therefore, it is best to book all tourist services in advance if you plan to travel during these months. Especially entrance tickets to Machu Picchu, train tickets and hotel services.
- The clear days on these dates allow you to see Machu Picchu in splendor, magnificent and clean photographs can be taken and except for some sporadic showers, they are days in which visiting Machu Picchu becomes very pleasant and in the company of the imposing sun.
Between May and August the demand for the Machu Picchu Ticket is very high, so if you want to visit Machu Picchu on these dates you must reserve your ticket in advance. If you want to climb the Machu Picchu mountain, you must reserve your ticket more than two months in advance
September and October, nice weather in Machu Picchu
- During these months the seasons change, the cold of winter decreases and the temperature becomes warmer with a very pleasant climate.
- The high tourist season begins to drop, as do the costs of various services. For the experience of many visitors and travelers. These are the best months to visit Machu Picchu, the first rains make the Inca sanctuary begin to turn green and the sun shines on most days.
- In September and October you can get incredible photos of Machu Picchu. They are also favorable dates for hiking to the tops of the mountains: Huayna Picchu, Huchuy Picchu and Machupicchu mountain.
- Although the good weather makes the trip to Machu Picchu conducive, they are also ideal days to make the trip to other tourist attractions in Cusco such as: the Sacred Valley of the Incas, Maras, Moray, the Humantay lagoon or the mountain of all 7 colors.
- These are favorable days to enjoy all the beauty of the Inca wonder.
November and December, a good option
- During these months the rains are already felt with greater intensity in Machu Picchu, but it is still possible to enjoy sunny and warm days.
- It is recommended to wear light clothing but with a windbreaker jacket and, very importantly, a poncho in case of rain. These can occur at any time of the day.
- With a bit of luck the day will dawn clear getting incredible photos of Machu Picchu. However, if the mist covers the mountains, it will not be possible to capture that dream photo of the Inca citadel.
- The tourist services begin to have more offers, so these are months in which you can visit Machu Picchu and tour it without being saturated with visitors. In addition, spending the end of the year holidays in Machu Picchu is a great experience.
- At Christmas the streets of Cusco are filled with tourists. The same in the case of the end of the year. Therefore, if you plan to visit Machu Picchu on those dates, it is best to book your hotel and tourist tickets online and in advance.
- Regardless of the month in which you visit Machu Picchu, the first thing you should do is book your Machu Picchu Ticket, and depending on the season you should also book your train ticket in advance.
Machu Picchu takes on bright green colors in the rainy months
To purchase your Machu Picchu ticket, check availability and book now! If you would like more information on how to make your trip to Machu Picchu, write to us at email@example.com. Our travel consultants will provide you with all the information you need to get to know the Inca wonder.
Advice from people who have been there
“Machu Picchu It's incredible“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, March 14, 2022