The Inca Trail is a 4-day and 3-night hiking tour to reach Machu Picchu . The route was built by the Incas hundreds of years ago so it is considered a world heritage site. To keep it better, the authorities decided to restrict their entry to 200 tourists per day.
How to see the availability of the Inca Trail 2019?
To see the available spaces of the Inca Trail follow these steps:
- Choose the type of Inca Trail route you want to do: Classic Inca Trail (4 days) or Short Inca Trail (2 days).
- Choose the date (month and day) on which you want to do the Inca Trail.
- Check the number of spaces available for the date you want: ’30’ means that there are still thirty free spaces left.
- If there is still availability, click on the chosen date to begin the reservation process.
Official Inca Trail Calendar
Below we show you the official availability calendar of the Inca Trail 2019:
- How to book the Inca Trail tour?
- Why book the Inca Trail 2019 with Ticket Machu Picchu?
- What does a tour to the Inca Trail include?
- Prices and discounts of the Inca Trail
- How long before booking the tour to the Inca Trail?
- What is the short Inca Trail (2 days)?
- What to do if there is no availability for the Inca Trail?
- Questions and answers about the availability of the Inca Trail
How to book the Inca Trail tour?
Did you find availability for the date you want? Now you just have to make the reservation following these 4 steps:
- a) Complete the basic information of all visitors on the reservation form (names, age, email, nationality, document, document number).
- b) Make the payment using one of the 4 available methods: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club or PayPal .
- c) Verify the payment receipt that you will receive in your email inbox.
Why book the Inca Trail 2019 with Ticket Machu Picchu?
- The Inca Trail 4 days is an All Inclusive Service that offers all the comforts for a safe and well organized adventure.
- The tour includes transportation, entrance to the Inca Trail, Machu Picchu, tour guide, camping equipment, porters, cooks, return by train and more .
- The tour also offers discounts for university students and children up to 11 years.
What does a tour to the Inca Trail include?
The tour to the Classic Inca Trail (4 days) includes the following:
- Entrance to the Inca Trail.
- Transportation from Cusco to the starting point to the Inca Trail.
- Bilingual tour guide service.
- Porter service
- Cook service (3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners).
- Camping equipment (does not include sleeping bag).
- Machu Picchu Solo entrance.
- Return by bus to Aguas Calientes.
- Return by train to Ollantaytambo.
- Return by minivan to Cusco.
In addition, the tourist can request the following extra services:
- Entrance to the Huayna Picchu mountain.
- 1 extra carrier.
- 1 sleeping bag
- Vegetarian food option at no extra cost.
Inca Trail Discounts
The Inca Trail offers discounts for tourists who are university students as well as minors.
- University students must study undergraduate and have less than 25 years at the time of the walk. The discount applies only to students with a valid university card (No ISIC card).
- Children (under 11 years old) also receive a special discount. Parents must make the reservation by sending their child’s passport or identity document.
How long before booking the tour to the Inca Trail?
In order to find availability on the Inca Trail it is necessary to make the reservation in advance.
- The Classic Inca Trail (4 days) must be booked 4 months in advance or more. Especially during the high tourist season (from April to October).
- The Short Inca Trail (2 days) must be booked 2 or 3 weeks in advance. Especially, during the high tourist season.
The high tourist season (from April to October) is the time of the year when more tourists visit Machu Picchu. That is why you need to book the Inca Trail well in advance.
What is the short Inca Trail (2 days)?
- The Short Inca Trail crosses a part of the Classic Inca Trail to reach Machu Picchu after 11 kilometers of walking.
- This route runs through the archeological sites of Chachabamba and Wiñayhuayna . Then he arrives at Intipunku and, finally, Machu Picchu.
- This short version only takes about half a day to reach the Inca City. The visit to Machu Picchu is the next day after spending the night in a hotel in Aguas Calientes.
- This short route has a capacity for 250 tourists per day . The tour starts at kilometer 104 of the Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes railroad.
- Unlike the classic Inca Trail; This short version does not need to be reserved months in advance. It is recommended to do it 2 or 3 weeks before.
What to do if there is no availability for the Inca Trail?
- Unfortunately, if there is no availability for a given date, you can only search for spaces on a different date. It is recommended to make the reservation months in advance.
- A good option is to choose the short Inca Trail. This adventure is ideal for people who do not have enough time or could not book the classic 4-day version.
- There are other incredible walks that lead to Machu Picchu such as: the 5-day Salkantay route, the 4-day tour of Lares and the incredible 8-day route Cusco – Choquequirao – Machu Picchu .
Questions and answers about the availability of the Inca Trail
1. Does the Inca Trail remain closed in February?
Yes. Due to the constant rains, maintenance personnel do conservation work on the Inca Trail route. That’s why all February, you can’t make reservations.
2. Why is it so difficult to find availability?
The Inca Trail has a historical value that is preserved by the authorities of Peru. Therefore, only 500 people are allowed to enter a day (200 tourists and the rest are support staff). The goal is to keep this tourist attraction for posterity.
3. Is there an official page to buy spaces to the Inca Trail?
No. You can only get availability for the Inca Trail through an authorized tourism agency. The agencies also offer a complete tour that includes the entrance to the Inca Trail, Machu Picchu and more.
4. Is it difficult to find availability for the Short Inca Trail?
No. The short version of the Inca Trail (2 days) allows 250 tourists per day to enter. Finding availability is not that difficult compared to the classic version (4 days). It is recommended to book online 2 or 3 weeks in advance.
5. Can I do the Inca Trail on my own?
No. The Ministry of Culture of Peru ordered that the Inca Trail can only be done through an authorized tourism agency. No tourist can enter the Inca Trail without the authorization of an agency.
6. Can children do the Inca Trail?
It depends. Children older than 8 years or who already have a satisfactory experience on similar walks, can do the Inca Trail. On the other hand, it is not recommended for children under 8 years of age who do not have a similar previous experience.
7. Can older adults do the Inca Trail?
It depends. Older adults who are physically well preserved can complete the Inca Trail. In the case of older adults with some recurring physical discomfort, they should consult their doctor.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, September 12, 2019