The Huayna Picchu mountain is the great adventure in Machu Picchu. The walk to its top is a different experience when visiting the city of the Incas. It is a route of almost 2 kilometers along stone paths built by the Incas themselves more than five hundred years ago. To enter this mountain it is necessary to buy the ‘Machupicchu + Huaynapicchu’ ticket. Know all the complete information about this mountain.
- The Huayna Picchu mountain: the most incredible experience in Machu Picchu
- Huayna Picchu entrance in 2023
- What are the groups and schedules of Huayna Picchu mountain?
- I am afraid of heights, can I hike Huayna Picchu mountain?
- What age people can hike Huayna Picchu Mountain?
- What will I need to bring to hike Huayna Picchu Mountain?
- What are the alternatives in case I can’t get a ticket for Huayna Picchu Mountain?
- What is the Temple of the Moon on Huayna Picchu? Can I visit it in 2023?
- Photo gallery
The Huayna Picchu mountain, unique and incredible
The Huayna Picchu mountain: the most incredible experience in Machu Picchu
- The Huayna Picchu mountain is more than 2,700 meters above sea level, about 300 meters above the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
- The trails on this mountain are amazing, so much so that it has been considered one of the most incredible short hikes on the planet.
- From the top of Huayna Picchu you can see some of the best views of the Inca city of Machu Picchu. However, this is not the classic postcard photo that everyone is looking for in Machu Picchu.
- The roads to the top of Huaynapicchu were built by the Incas. There they performed religious ceremonies.
- Today it is one of the most requested adventures by tourists who visit Machu Picchu. Visitors must purchase their ticket 3-4 months in advance.
This is the summary information of the Huayna Picchu mountain:
|Huayna Picchu Mountain||Information|
|Attractions included||Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountain.|
|Peak height||2,693 msnm.|
|kilometers of walking||2 kilometres.|
|Walking difficulty||Moderate – high.|
|Circuit in Machu Picchu||Circuit 4.|
|Buildings in Machu Picchu||The Sacred Rock, the Temple of the Condor, the Temple of the Sun, the Water Mirrors, the Temple of the 3 Windows and other minor buildings.|
|Buildings in Huayna Picchu||Temple of the Moon (The great cavern).|
|Photos at Machu Picchu||Landscape photos from the top of Huayna Picchu.|
|Tourists per day||200 visitors.|
|Minimum age||12 years old.|
|Re-entry to Machu Picchu||No.|
|Tourist guide||Not obligatory.|
|Buy in advance||Online 3 or 4 months before.|
Huayna Picchu entrance in 2023
- In 2023 the entrance to the Huayna Picchu mountain remains open.
- The entrance to the Huayna Picchu mountain was reduced from 400 to 200 people per day.
- The use of a mask is mandatory when entering Machu Picchu and the Huayna Picchu mountain.
- The presentation of the vaccination record is not mandatory.
- The tour of Huayna Picchu with a tour guide is not mandatory either.
- As in previous years, entry is allowed for people over 12 years old.
- The time limit to visit both Machu Picchu and the Huayna Picchu mountain is 6 hours from the moment the tourist enters.
What are the groups and schedules of Huayna Picchu mountain?
These are the updated schedules with the ‘Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu’ ticket.
- The entrance to Machupicchu: From 6 in the morning.
- The entrance to Huayna Picchu: Between 7 and 8 in the morning.
- Tickets available: 50.
- The entrance to Machupicchu: From 7 in the morning.
- The entrance to Huayna Picchu: Between 8 and 9 in the morning.
- Tickets available: 50.
- The entrance to Machupicchu: From 8 in the morning.
- The entrance to Huayna Picchu: Between 9 and 10 in the morning.
- Tickets available: 50.
- The entrance to Machupicchu: From 9 in the morning.
- The entrance to Huayna Picchu: Between 10 and 11 in the morning.
- Tickets available: 50.
I am afraid of heights, can I hike Huayna Picchu mountain?
- Not really. If you think you can’t beat your fear of heights, you’d better skip this mountain and choose some other of the amazing short hikes you can have in Machu Picchu.
- For example, you can opt for the hiking trail to the Machu Picchu mountain, or the walk to the door of the Sun “Intipunku”. However, if you can overcome your fear of heights, you could have one of the best experiences of your life.
- There are many people who have experienced a change in their way of seeing things, after reaching the top of Huayna Picchu. You just need to be careful and respectful of mountains and extreme heights.
View of the Inca viewpoints from the top of Huayna Picchu
What age people can hike Huayna Picchu Mountain?
- To explore the Huayna Picchu mountain you must be at least 12 years old.
- Anyone who comes with small children should opt for the ticket Machu Picchu Only; or in case you want to do an amazing hike, for the Machu Picchu + Mountain ticket.
What will I need to bring to hike Huayna Picchu Mountain?
- The main thing to explore the Huayna Picchu mountain is to be safe. We recommend you come with hiking shoes, especially if you come to Machu Picchu during the rainy season; Well, despite having enormous advantages, remember that the paths are made of stone and can be very slippery when wet.
- You will need to wear rain protection. So don’t come during the rainy season (November to April) in Machu Picchu it can rain at any time so come prepared.
- Another thing that you cannot forget for any reason is your camera, with memory and extra batteries.
- The opportunities to get incredible views of Machu Picchu from the Huayna Picchu mountain are endless.
- You should also bring plenty of water, sunscreen, mosquito repellant, and everything should fit in a small bag or backpack, as you’ll need your hands free to negotiate the impressive cliff-side trails.
What are the alternatives in case I can’t get a ticket for Huayna Picchu Mountain?
- If you did not book the Huayna Picchu tickets well in advance or could not find available tickets for the days you wanted, we recommend you opt for the Machu Picchu + Mountain ticket.
- This ticket will allow you to enter the Machu Picchu mountain and the possibility of obtaining incredible aerial views of the city of the Incas. In this ticket there are 400 tickets available and you can reserve them up to 2 weeks in advance on average.
- If you come during the high season (June to August); In this case, all entrance tickets to Machu Picchu must be reserved approximately 1 month in advance.
What is the Temple of the Moon on Huayna Picchu? Can I visit it in 2023?
- The Temple of the Moon is the most mysterious construction that can be seen on the Huayna mountain Picchu.
- It is built inside a cave at the top of the mountain and the quality of stone work that can be found in it is comparable only to places like the Temple of the Sun or the Temple of the 3 Windows in Machu Picchu.
- In 2023 the Temple of the Moon is closed to the public until further notice.
The Temple of the Moon, can only be seen if you climb Huayna Picchu
Advice from people who have been there
“At the Inca Summit!“
“Entry only in the morning. We bought a separate ticket for the Citadel of Machupicchu, then we went up to the Huayna Picchu mountain through very narrow paths. It's worth it!“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, June 28, 2023