The valley of the goblins in Cusco
The Valley of the Duendes is one of the new tourist attractions of Cusco. It is only 8 kilometers by road from the city of Cusco. This ingenious place took advantage of a natural area full of rocks to sculpt and place dozens of figures of goblins that give the place its name. The visit costs only 3 Peruvian soles. There are spaces to enjoy the Cusco sun with a drink or typical food of the place. Despite its recent opening, there are already many families who come to this site, especially on weekends.
- What is the valley of the goblins?
- Where is it located?
- How to get there? Route map
- The new tourist attraction of Cusco
- What else to see?
- Cost of the visit
- What to bring to the visit?
- Photo gallery
- More information and tips for your visit
What is the valley of the goblins?
- The Valley of the Goblins is a new tourist attraction in the city of Cusco. It is a place full of rocks where dozens of figures and sculptures of goblins were sculpted.
- The place also has sculptures with an environmental theme. In the beginning, admission is free if a plant is left at the door of the place.
- This tourist attraction is also called ‘Campana Huancac’. The reason is a stone formation that resembles a bell.
- Progressively the site increased in number of goblin sculptures. There are also other sculptures and rock formations that revalue the Andean culture.
- Despite being inaugurated only in 2021, already many families from Cusco visit this site. Weekends are when most people arrive there.
Where is it located?
- The Valley of the Goblins is located in the San Sebastián district (area known as Alto Qosqo), only about 8 kilometers from the center of the city of Cusco.
- The place is approximately 3,500 meters above sea level. From there you have good views of the entire city of Cusco.
How to get there? Route map
To get to the valley of the goblins you must take the following route:
- From the Plaza de Armas or any area in the center of Cusco, you must walk to Calle Belén.
- In this street the public transport buses of the company ‘Arcoíris’ are approached. These buses will take you to the district of San Sebastián (height of the fourth stop) and, from there, go up to the Alto Qosqo area. The cost of the trip is only 2 Peruvian soles.
- The final stop is ‘Vista Alto Qosqo’. There you must descend and walk for only 10 minutes until you reach the valley of the goblins.
The new tourist attraction of Cusco
- The Valley of the Goblins was inaugurated in 2021 which makes it one of the new tourist attractions of the city of Cusco.
- The place, of private property, has species of rock galleries. These stone formations were used to place, here and there, different sculptures of goblins.
- At first there were few sculptures. Little by little the number of visitors began to increase, especially children. So the entrance to the place was free.
- Then more and better sculptures were created, especially of goblins. Andean-themed stone forms were also made. In its beginnings, to promote the care of the environment, free income was given in exchange for plants and flowers.
- Today the popularity of the Valley of the Goblins has meant that many more families from Cusco arrive there every day, especially on weekends.
- In addition to the elf sculptures, in the place you can taste drinks and typical foods of Cusco. There is also a viewpoint where you can enjoy panoramic views of the city of Cusco.
What else to see?
These are some of the similar tourist attractions that you can visit in the city of Cusco:
- The wetlands of Huasao – In the district Huasao are wetlands where, in addition to the landscapes and natural flora and fauna, there are several wood carvings on fictional characters such as: Groot, Baby Groot, Ents and more. There are also animal sculptures with a message of caring for the environment. The entrance costs 2 Peruvian soles.
- The Dinosaur Park – In the Oropesa district there is a park for children with a dinosaur theme. The games for children with figures of tyrannosaurs rex stand out. Also a life-size dinosaur skeleton. The most delicious breads in the region are offered in this town. There are also spaces to enjoy drinks and typical foods of Cusco. The price of the entrance ticket costs 2 Peruvian soles.
Cost of the visit
- The entrance ticket to the valley of the goblins costs 3 Peruvian soles. The ticket can be purchased at the door of the place.
- Visiting hours are from Monday to Sunday from 9 in the morning to 5:30 in the afternoon.
What to bring to the visit?
During the visit it is recommended to bring the following:
- Comfortable shoes.
- Photographic camera.
- Poncho in case of rain.
- Mineral water and snacks.
More information and tips for your visit
- For tourists who visit the valley of the goblins in their own car, the place has private parking.
- For protection against Covid 19, the use of a mask is mandatory within the valley of the goblins.
- During the tour of the valley of the goblins, you should avoid touching the goblin sculptures. In addition, care should be taken to avoid hitting your head inside the caves between the rocks.
- Currently there are no tours to the Valley of the Goblins of Cusco. The visit must be carried out on your own. Drinks and food are sold on site.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 7, 2021