Where to shop in Cusco
Cusco is recognized for its beauty and incredible cultural historical legacy. The city has many places to shop with an incredible diversity of handmade products by artisans. Many of these items are unique products inspired by the Andean culture. It is impossible not to be seduced by the shapes and colors of crafts with Andean and Inca motifs.
- The San Blas neighborhood
- The San Pedro market
- The craft center Cusco
- The craft market of Pisac
- Chinchero Market
- The artisanal market of Ollantaytambo
- The handmade market of Aguas Calientes
- Paradise Shopping Center
- Imperial Plaza Shopping Center
- El Molino Shopping Center
- The Real Plaza shopping center
- What to buy in Cusco?
The San Blas neighborhood
- The picturesque neighborhood of San Blas is made up of several streets where craft workshops are located. It is known as the bohemian neighborhood.
- You can arrive directly from the Main Square of the city through Hatun Rumiyoc Street (where the famous Stone of the 12 Angles of Cusco is located).
- Also, in this neighborhood you can see the process with which artisans produce their works. Visit the workshops of the Olave family or the Camero family. Nor can you miss the jobs of the Mendivil and Mérida families, internationally recognized.
What will you find in the San Blas neighborhood? – Paintings, clothing, ceramics, musical instruments, sculptures of saints and virgins, etc.
Where it is located? – San Blas Square S / N.
The craftsmanship in Cusco is magnificent, and you can acquire pieces of great master craftsmen
The San Pedro market
- The San Pedro market is 2 blocks from the Plaza de Armas of Cusco. In addition to beautiful handmade products and alpaca garments at good prices; The market will provide you with a unique experience.
- The market is visited by tourists and local people who buy their daily products there.
- Near the market is the San Pedro train station as well as the colonial church of the same name.
- In the market you can find: Peruvian food, meat, fruits, juices, breads and, of course, handicrafts.
What will you find in the San Pedro market? – Menus, fruits, vegetables, meats, chocolate, ceramics, clothing, paintings, sourvenirs.
Where it is located? – Plazoleta San Pedro S / N, Cascaparo, Cusco.
The craft center Cusco
- The craft center of Cusco is located on Avenida El Sol, one of the main streets of the city. This artisan center is open from Monday to Sunday from 9 in the morning to 8 at night.
- There you can find all kinds of crafts: from musical instruments to clothes made of baby alpaca.
- The artisan center consists of several passages as well as an ATM (ATM). Flags around the world are scattered all over the place.
What will you find in the craft center Cusco? – Textiles, masks, ceramics, backpacks, paintings, jewelry, polo shirts, alpaca garments, shoes, stones, musical instruments, sourvenirs and more.
Where it is located? – Cross Tullumayo Avenue with El Sol Avenue, Cusco.
In Cusco there are many places to go shopping, the artisan centers of the whole tourist circuit stand out
The craft market of Pisac
- The craft market in Pisac is one of the oldest and most recognized craft centers in Cusco.
- It is located in the same town of Pisac, in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. The market works every day, although on Sundays the number of stands and people increases.
- Most merchants are local people who produce their own crafts. It is also possible to buy local products such as potatoes, corn, quinoa and more.
- In addition to the handicraft market, you can visit the famous archaeological site of Pisac. The landscapes consist of rivers, mountains, fields and more.
What will you find in the craft market in Pisac – Textiles, ceramics, backpacks, jewelry, musical instruments, paint, polo shirts, sourvenirs, potatoes, quinoa, corn, fruits, meats, vegetables, etc.
Where it is located? – Plaza de Armas de Pisac S / N, Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- The market of the town of Chinchero is one of the most famous in the Sacred Valley. It combines different food products, handicrafts as well as a cultural immersion in the lifestyle of the inhabitants.
- The market grows in stands and concurrence on Sundays. Some residents accept bartering as a means of payment.
- Chinchero is famous for its textile centers. The villagers weave their own products and make an explanation of the process of making each garment.
- Near the market, you can visit the archaeological site of Chinchero, which was the palace of the Inca Túpac Yupanqui.
What will you find in the Chinchero market? – Textiles, shoes, backpacks, ceramics, chullos, caps, scarves, sourvenirs, herbs, fruits, meats, potatoes, quinoa, menus and more.
Where it is located? – Esplanade market of Chinchero S / N, Sacred Valley of the Incas.
The artisanal market of Ollantaytambo
- The craft market offers various sourvenirs for tourists who finish touring the archaeological site of Ollantaytambo.
- This small craft market is located right at the entrance gate of the archaeological site of Ollantaytambo. It consists of some dozens of stands where memories of the trip to the Inca fortress are offered.
- Near the artisan market, you can also find restaurants, bars, cafes and hotels.
- From Ollantaytambo you take the trains that leave for Machu Picchu every day.
What will you find in the artisanal market of Ollantaytambo? – Textiles, backpacks, jewelry, ceramics, chullos, sourvenirs, etc.
Where it is located? – Esplanade in front of the archaeological site of Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley of the Incas.
The handmade market of Aguas Calientes
- The craft market of the town of Aguas Calientes is one of the most famous in Cusco due to its proximity to Machu Picchu.
- It has various handicraft products as well as sale of the necessary utensils for the visit to Machu Picchu: sunscreen, rain poncho, hats, water, snacks, etc.
- The market is open every day of the year from 7 in the morning until 9 at night. Most tourists buy their products, after knowing Machu Picchu and before returning to Cusco.
- Within the marking is the train station. Therefore, it is a necessary transit place during the trip to Machu Picchu.
What will you find in the handmade market of Aguas Calientes? – Rain poncho, sunblock, envelopes, water, snacks, textiles, alpaca clothes, jewelry, paintings, musical instruments, polo shirts, sourvenirs and more.
Where it is located? – Barrio Las Orquídeas, next to the Aguas Calientes train station, Cusco.
Paradise Shopping Center
- The Paraíso shopping center is one of the busiest for people from Cusco to buy or repair cell phones.
- Most of the stands are dedicated to the repair and sale of cell phone accessories. However, you can also buy movies, tools, technological artifacts and more.
- Tourists who come to this mall do so primarily to purchase accessories for their cell phones or cameras.
- The Paraíso shopping center is near the famous San Pedro market in Cusco.
What will you find in the Paraíso shopping center? – Cell phones, cell phone accessories, cell phone repair, technology accessories, tools, snacks, etc.
Where it is located? – New Street S / N, Cusco.
Imperial Plaza Shopping Center
- The Imperial Plaza is one of the most modern shopping centers in Cusco. It has movie theaters, food court, playground as well as several stands dedicated mainly to a young audience.
- This shopping center is located near the historic center of the city. Therefore, it is very visited by tourists and local people.
- Its biggest attractions are movie theaters, hairdressers as well as tattoo stands.
What will you find in the Imperial Plaza shopping center? – Cinema, hairdressers, tattoo stands, food court, playground, clothing stores, technological devices, etc.
Where it is located? – Calle Cruz Verde 129 S / N, Cusco.
El Molino Shopping Center
- El Molino shopping center is a place where you can find a variety of products: from socks to giant screen televisions.
- The ‘Molino’ is visited mainly by the people of Cusco. The tourists who go there can find some products at a good price.
- The shopping center is far from the historical center of the city. You can get there by public transport or by taxi.
What will you find in the El Molino shopping center? – food court, clothing stores, technological devices, footwear, fruits, vegetables, chocolates, ice cream, handicrafts, etc.
Where it is located? – Alfredo Yepes Miranda 06 Street, Cusco.
The Real Plaza shopping center
- The Real Plaza is the largest and most modern shopping center in Cusco. You can find movie theaters, playgrounds, food court, clothing stores, footwear, bookstores, supermarkets, banks and parking.
- The facilities of this mall are modern. It is located a few kilometers from the historic center of the city. Most tourists come there to enjoy fast food as a family.
What you’ll find in downtown Real Plaza – Supermarkets, cinema, fast food, clothing stores, footwear, bookstores, banks, cell phones, technology devices, games for children and more.
Where it is located? – Micaela Bastidas Avenue, S / N, Cusco (next to the land terminal).
What to buy in Cusco?
- Craftsmanship is one of the best memories you can take from Cusco.
- Most tourists purchase clothing made of alpaca, since it is difficult to find this material in other parts of the world.
- If the gift is for your wife or girlfriend, a good option is to buy silver jewelry.
- Children usually prefer Cusco chocolate.
- Another great option is to acquire paintings or sculptures made in the famous neighborhood of San Blas.
Advice from people who have been there
“It's the traditional market of the city has a huge variety of products and is one of the best places to eat some of the typical Cusco food. We spent hours eating typical dishes and taking pictures of all the strange things (for us), and although the market is somewhat rustic, the prices and food is very good; You can see heads of many animals and even 'cuises', guinea pigs without skin and baked.“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 7, 2019