The Huayna Picchu mountain is nothing more than the beautiful mountain that usually appears in the classic panoramic views of Machu Picchu. To enter this adventure you must buy the ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu. It is available only for 400 people. These will enter the mountains divided into 2 groups. Which to choose?
- Mountain Huayna Picchu: definition
- What Huayna Picchu ticket to choose?
- Which is the best group to ascend to Huayna Picchu?
- Why choose to visit Huayna Picchu at 7 am?
- Why choose to visit Huayna Picchu at 10 am?
- How to avoid the crowds in the Huayna Picchu mountain?
- Which Huayna Picchu group do you recommend?
- If you do not get one of the 400 available Huayna Picchu tickets
- Questions and answers about the Huayna Picchu ticket
The Huayna Picchu mountain, the challenge that everyone wants to achieve
Mountain Huayna Picchu: definition
- The Huayna Picchu is the popular mountain that guards Machu Picchu. It is located within the Inca City, at 2720 meters above sea level. It is famous for the extreme hiking route to its summit.
- Reaching the top of the Huayna Picchu mountain is one of the most incredible challenges in the National Park of Machu Picchu. It has spooky trails like the famous ‘stairway of death’.
- The ascent is exhausting and causes vertigo. It takes about 1 hour. However, each of the obstacles to get to this place is worth it.
What Huayna Picchu ticket to choose?
- The spectacular Huayna Picchu mountain is a challenge that allows the entry of only 400 lucky visitors each day.
- People who manage to reserve one of the available tickets must choose between 2 different entry times:
- Group 1: Visit Machu Picchu from 6 am to 1 pm – Join Huayna Picchu from 7 am to 8 am
- Group 2: Visit to Machu Picchu from 6 am to 2 pm – Join Huayna Picchu from 10 am to 11 am
- Both groups allow to visit the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu and the Huayna Picchu mountain. The only difference is the entrance time to Waynapicchu.
Which is the best group to ascend to Huayna Picchu?
- Both schedules have their pros and cons. Regardless of the group you choose, remember that the two groups allow you to enjoy Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu.
- The Huayna Picchu Group 1 ticket is the best option for visitors who want to know the Waynapicchu in a cooler environment. The rest of the time, they can tour Machu Picchu.
- The Huayna Picchu Group 2 ticket is the best option for visitors who want to know the Waynapicchu in broad daylight. Before, they have time to visit Machu Picchu.
Why choose to visit Huayna Picchu at 7 am?
Advantages of choosing Huayna Picchu Group 1:
- The entrance to the Waynapicchu is between 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. The visit is a cooler time in the day.
- In the dry season of Machu Picchu (from April to October), temperatures and solar radiation are usually higher. That’s why it’s a good idea to move up in Group 1.
Disadvantages of choosing Huayna Picchu Group 1:
- In the rainy season (from November to March), the rains can cause the roads to be slippery.
- In the mornings, the fog can cause you not to see the Inca City from the top of Huayna Picchu.
Why choose to visit Huayna Picchu at 10 am?
Advantages of choosing Huayna Picchu Group 2:
- The entrance to the Waynapicchu is between 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. This schedule offers incredible views of Machu Picchu.
- Group 2 is a good option if you come to Machu Picchu during the rainy season. In those months, the Inca Citadel usually dawn covered almost full of fog.
Disadvantages of choosing Huayna Picchu Group 2:
- The tour of Huayna Picchu in Group 2 is in full sun. This makes the climb much more strenuous than normal.
- If you chose to enter Group 2, know that you will have to wait in turns in narrow steps. At that time, the visitors of Group 1 descend.
How to avoid the crowds during your tour of the Huayna Picchu mountain?
- Averaging 11 am, crowds of travelers form in Machu Picchu.
- If you decide to visit Huayna Picchu in Group 1, you will encounter the biggest tourist traffic at the end of your visit.
- Huayna Picchu in Group 2, however, offers the opportunity to explore Machu Picchu more freely.
Which Huayna Picchu group do you recommend?
- Huayna Picchu Group 2 is the most recommended option. This schedule will give you the opportunity to travel Waynapicchu with less traffic of people.
- It also reduces the possibility of finding fog at the top.
- Finally, at that time of day, the roads are not usually slippery during the rainy season.
If you do not get one of the 400 available Huayna Picchu tickets
If unfortunately, this happens, you have other hiking alternatives in Machu Picchu:
- Mountain Machu Picchu – This summit is located at 3,082 meters above sea level, 300 meters higher than Huayna Picchu. The walk is by ancient Inca trails. Getting to the top is a bit more difficult than climbing the Huayna Picchu.
- Route through the Sun Gate – The Sun Gate (Quechua Intipunku) was the main entrance to Machu Picchu during the Incas. It is located in the highest part of the Inca City. Getting there takes approximately 2 hours.
- Route through the Inca Bridge – The Incas built a bridge west of Machu Picchu. Getting there is currently a 1 hour hiking trail. This adventure is not difficult. Walk along roads with frightening abysses.
Questions and answers about the Huayna Picchu ticket
1) How to get the Huayna Picchu Group 1 ticket?
The purchase of the Huayna Picchu entrance is online. When selecting the type of ticket you should only choose the option: “Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu 1G”.
2) How to get the Huayna Picchu Group 2 ticket?
The sale of tickets is online with an agency or the official site. To purchase the Group 2 ticket, you only have to select the option: “Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu 2G”.
3) How late can I be at Huayna Picchu in Group 1?
With the Huayna Picchu Group 1 ticket, the tourist must return from the top at 1 pm If you want to visit Machu Picchu, you must do it much earlier. If you want to visit the Temple of the Moon you must descend at 11.30 a.m.
4) How late can I be at Huayna Picchu in Group 2?
With the Huayna Picchu Group 2 ticket the same case as Group 1 occurs. The maximum time of permanence at the top of the mountain is at 1 pm It is recommended to visit Machu Picchu before.
5) Can I visit Huayna Picchu at another time?
No. You can only visit the mountain Huayna Picchu in Group 1 (until 1 pm) or Group 2 (until 2 pm).
- Group 1 enters Waynapicchu from 7 am to 8 am
- Group 2 enters Waynapicchu from 10 am to 11 am
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 28, 2018