Any person older than 12 years in acceptable physical shape can make the hiking route to the top of Huayna Picchu. People who suffer from vertigo should think twice before going up. Older adults should consult their doctor before making the walk.
- Can children climb the Huayna Picchu?
- And the teenagers?
- Can adults in poor physical condition climb the Waynapicchu?
- And the elderly?
- Can people with special abilities climb the Waynapicchu?
- Who is the Huayna Picchu ticket for?
- Who should refrain from visiting the Waynapicchu?
- Are roads safe?
- How to enter the Waynapicchu?
- What should I bring?
- Questions and answers about Waynapicchu mountain
Waynapicchu is located at 2,720 meters above sea level. Ascent to its summit is of moderate difficulty. It takes 1 or 2 hours to arrive, depending on the physical condition of the visitor.
Visitors touring the trails of the Huayna Picchu mountain
Can children climb the Huayna Picchu?
Only people over 12 years old can climb to the top of Waynapicchu. The entry of children is not allowed due to the difficulty of the journey. The total ascent is just over 350 meters and has a very steep angle over the Inca City. The Huayna Picchu mountain is 2,720 meters above sea level while Machu Picchu is 2,430 meters above sea level.
And the teenagers?
Teenagers may enter but must be accompanied by their parents or an older person. Remember that the ascent is through very steep paths, with paths in which you will need both hands and feet. Adolescents have to be watched closely by their parents. At the edge of the roads, there are ravines several meters deep.
Can adults in poor physical condition climb the Waynapicchu?
Huayna Picchu has become in recent years one of the most desired experiences for people who visit the Historic and Natural Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. It is not necessary to be an expert mountaineer or to be in optimal physical conditions. The most important thing is the desire to reach the top. However, it is always advisable to do some exercise and adapt to the height of Cusco before the walk.
And the elderly?
Many older adults walk the mountain without problems. However, it is advisable to consult a doctor before the adventure. If you want to climb with sticks, remember that these must have the rubber tip. This to avoid any damage to the trails that will travel.
Can people with special abilities climb the Waynapicchu?
Not all people with special abilities can climb the Waynapicchu. Visitors with hearing disabilities, for example, have no difficulty in reaching the top. However, visitors with motor disabilities can not access the mountain. This because the roads are steep and inaccessible to them. On the other hand, touring the Inca City with a wheelchair is possible.
Who is the Huayna Picchu ticket for?
The ascent to Huayna Picchu is aimed at people who like outdoor sports and adventure. The route is considered one of the most incredible short walks in the world.
Visitors who like nature can also choose this mountain. The walk to the summit offers some of the most spectacular views of the Inca City of Machu Picchu and its surroundings.
Tourists who are interested in the history of the Incas can also visit the Waynapicchu. At the top you will find agricultural terraces and the remains of the famous Temple of the Moon.
Who should refrain from visiting the Waynapicchu?
The ascent to the Waynapicchu has a very steep angle on the Inca City. It offers fantastic views of the city of Machu Picchu and the mountains that surround it. Although the physical form is not relevant, if people who suffer from vertigo should abstain. Remember that precipices can cause discomfort to people with fear of heights.
Are roads safe?
The Waynapicchu itself is safe. The only risks are those caused by the visitor himself. Follow these tips for a safe visit to Huayna Picchu:
- There are trails built beside huge cliffs, so you should follow the road signs at all times.
- Finding a way on your own, could end in an accident with serious injuries or even death.
- Keep some distance with the climbers going in front and behind. Especially if it has rained or if it is very early since in both cases the path becomes very slippery.
- If you make this ascent with minors, keep an eye on their safety.
How to enter the Waynapicchu?
Admission to this mountain takes place in 2 schedules: the first group from 7 am to 8 am and the second group from 10 am to 11 am
This mountain is accessed by entering the Inca City of Machu Picchu. The doors are open from 6 am to 4 pm The trip to the top of Huayna Picchu will take about 1 or 2 hours.
To visit the Waynapicchu you must book the Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu. This entrance will allow you to visit the mountain and the Inca City. From there you can see the temples, enclosures, roads, fountains and more.
What should I bring?
- Huayna Picchu is located in the Amazon jungle. It has temperatures between 8 ºC. and 20 ºC. This causes the presence of small mosquitoes so it will be necessary to use a good repellent.
- The strong sun of Machu Picchu will force him to bring with him sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses with UV filter.
- Avoid carrying many things with you. All the things you carry should fit in a small backpack or handbag. The entry of large backpacks is not allowed.
- In case of making the view during the rainy season (November – March) you should also carry a rain poncho, warm clothes and hiking shoes.
- Do not forget your camera, with enough space in the memory and extra battery.
Questions and answers about Waynapicchu mountain
- What does Waynapicchu mean?
Huayna Picchu or Waynapicchu means ‘Young Mountain’ in Quechua. Machu Picchu, means ‘Old Mountain’.
- What is the Temple of the Moon?
The Temple of the Moon is an Inca construction located in the middle of the Waynapicchu mountain. It was built inside a cave. It has terraces, lithic structures masterfully carved. Its function is still a mystery.
- How to get an entry to Huayna Picchu?
To visit the ‘Montaña Joven’ you must book the entrance 3 months before doing these 5 steps:
- Verifying availability.
- Filling in the reservation form.
- Sending an e-mail with your passport or identity document.
- Making the payment with PayPal (Visa, MasterCard).
- Printing the tickets.
- Is the entrance to the Waynapicchu with a tour guide?
The tour of the Inca City of Machu Picchu is mandatory with an official tourist guide. The climb to the Waynapicchu with a guide, on the other hand, is optional.
- What are the ‘stairs of death’ in Waynapicchu?
The ‘stairs of death’ of Huayna Picchu is one of the most difficult parts of the climb to the top. These stairs are steep and difficult. Despite its name, nobody has died climbing these steps.
- What is the best time to visit the mountain?
The dry season (from April to October) is the best time to climb the Huayna Picchu. The weather is nice, there is little chance of rain and the landscape is more beautiful.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, September 5, 2018