Are there train tickets available? Check the availability calendar to get the ticket you prefer.
You just have to follow the following steps :
- a. Choose on which date you want to travel: one-way train ticket, return train ticket or both.
- b. Choose the route you prefer (departure and arrival station) as well as the type of service and schedule you prefer.
- c. Check if there is availability.
- d. Click and continue with the process of buying the train ticket to Machu Picchu.
- What are the available train stations?
- What is the difference of train stations?
- What are the types of trains available?
- What is the difference of the types of trains?
- What train schedule to choose?
- How to buy a train ticket?
- What to do if there is no availability?
- Questions and answers about train ticket availability
What are the available train stations?
Remember that there are 4 different train stations:
- San Pedro Station – located just 1 kilometer from the Plaza de Armas of Cusco (trip to Machu Picchu for approximately 3 hours 30 minutes). From this station depart and arrive 2 train services ‘Vistadome’.
- Poroy Station – located 13 kilometers from Cusco (trip to Machu Picchu approximately 3 hours). From this station depart and arrive 4 train services a day.
- Urubamba Station – located 52 kilometers from Cusco (trip to Machu Picchu approximately 2 hours 30 minutes). From this station depart and arrive only one train service per day (train ‘Sacred Valley’).
- Ollantaytambo Station – located 72 kilometers from Cusco (trip to Machu Picchu for approximately 1 hour 45 minutes). From this station depart 14 train services a day. 15 train services arrive daily.
What is the difference of train stations?
All train stations depart towards the final station of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu), located at the foot of the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
|Trains to Machu Picchu||San Pedro Station||Poroy Station||Urubamba Station||Ollantaytambo Station|
|Distance from Cusco||1 kilometer from the Plaza de Armas||13 kilometers (30 minutes by car)||52 kilometers (1 hour by car)||72 kilometers (1.30 hours by car)|
|Travel time to Machu Picchu||3 hours 30 minutes to Machu Picchu station||3 hours to Machu Picchu station||2.30 hours to Machu Picchu station||2 hours to Machu Picchu station|
|Open all year?||Only from April to December||Only from April to December||Open all year long||Open all year long|
|Train departures per day||2 trains||4 trains||2 trains||14 trains|
|Train arrivals per day||2 trains||4 trains||2 trains||15 trains|
|Departure schedule of the first train of the day||6.40 am||6.40 am||6.50 am||5.05 am|
|Departure schedule of the last train of the day||7.30 am||9.05 am||10.30 am||9 pm|
What are the types of trains available?
Remember that there are 4 different types of trains:
- Train service ‘Expedition’ – Economic service that includes: on board service, sale of products on board, large windows, comfortable seats and tables.
- Train service ‘Vistadome’ – Standard service that includes: service on board, courtesy snack, panoramic windows, comfortable seats and tables.
- Train Service ‘Vistadome Observatory’ – Exclusive service that includes: on board service, gourmet lunch (or dinner), dining car, observatory bar car.
- Train service ‘Hiram Bingham’ – Luxury service that includes: on board service, gourmet lunch (or dinner), dining car, car bar, observatory car, open bar, entrance to Machu Picchu, bus service and guide in Machu Picchu .
What is the difference of the types of trains?
All Peru Rail trains are tourist as they offer a comfortable trip with large windows, tables and service on board.
|Train service||Expedition||Vistadome||Vistadome Observatory||Hiram Bingham|
|Service on board||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Drinks||No||Hot drink||Hot drink||Open bar|
|Entry||No||No||No||Machu P. Ticket|
|Entertainment||No||Dance on board||Dance on board||Live band|
What train schedule to choose?
- Machu Picchu currently has 9 hours to enter the Inca City: from 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, 9 am, 10 am, 11 am, 12 pm, 1 pm or 2 pm
- If the tourist wishes to travel by train from Cusco, visit Machu Picchu and return by train again in Cusco; It is recommended to take one of the trains in the morning. So you will have enough time to make your 1-day visit to the Inca City.
- If the tourist wishes to spend a night in the town of Aguas Calientes (and visit Machu Picchu the next day) it is not necessary to choose a train trip in the morning. In that case you can choose a trip in the afternoon or at the time you prefer.
- After visiting Machu Picchu, you must choose a return trip by train for the late shift (there are schedules at 4.22 pm, 4.43 pm, 5.23 pm, 6.10 pm and more).
Choose the train schedule according to the time of entry to Machu Picchu you chose. For example, if you chose to enter the Inca City at 10 am, it is best to take a train at 5.05 am, 6.10 am or 7.05 am The return trip can be done in the afternoon.
How to buy a train ticket?
To buy a train ticket on this website you must follow the following steps :
- Check if there is availability of the train ticket on the date of your preference.
- Complete the reservation form with the personal data of each passenger.
- Choose one of the available payment methods: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club or PayPal.
- Complete some information and make the payment.
- Print the train ticket or pick it up at the authorized offices in Cusco.
- Present the ticket on the day and at the time of the train trip to Machu Picchu.
What to do if there is no availability?
- Train tickets have limited capacity.
- To find an available train ticket, it is recommended to buy train tickets in advance.
- If you did not find availability, choose a different date or time of the same train ticket.
- If you still do not find availability you must choose another type of train service.
Questions and answers about train ticket availability
What is the train station you should choose?
Ollantaytambo train station is preferred by tourists since it offers more train departures and arrivals per day. If the tourist wishes to travel in the luxury train service ‘Hiram Bingham’, the option is Poroy station.
How to get to the train station?
It depends on the train station you choose. To get to San Pedro station you can take a taxi or walk. To get to Poroy station you can hire a taxi service in Cusco (the station is only 13 kilometers from Cusco). To reach the Urubamba or Ollantaytambo stations, you can take a public transport minivan in the ‘Pavitos’ street (near the Historic Center of Cusco).
How long before should I buy the train ticket?
It is recommended to buy the train ticket once the date of entry to Machu Picchu is known. On average, the ticket must be purchased 2 or 3 weeks in advance.
Are the availability of train tickets shown official?
Yes. The availability of train tickets shown on the calendar is official and in real time.
How to pay the train ticket?
To make the payment of the train ticket you must choose between one of the many payment methods offered: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club or PayPal. You only have to complete your personal and card information. After making the payment you will immediately receive a receipt for the amount sent.
What are the train routes they offer?
We offer up to 8 different train routes:
- Route: San Pedro – Machu Picchu.
- Route: Poroy – Machu Picchu.
- Route: Urubamba – Machu Picchu.
- Route: Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu.
- Route: Machu Picchu – Ollantaytambo.
- Route: Machu Picchu – Urubamba.
- Route: Machu Picchu – Poroy.
Route: Machu Picchu – San Pedro.
Why is there no availability of tickets at the Poroy station?
The train station offers 4 train departures and arrivals per day. However, this station is closed from January 1 to April 30 because of the rains that occur in those months.
Is Ollantaytambo station available all year?
Yes. Ollantaytambo station offers more than 14 train departures and arrivals per day. This station operates all year round, making it the most used option by tourists.
Is the San Pedro station available all year?
San Pedro station is available only from April to December (due to constant rains from January to March). Dates may vary on some days depending on the weather.
What is the train service with more availability?
Most tourists choose Expedition and Vistadome train services, as these are the cheapest. These services include: onboard service, comfortable seating, large tables and windows.
How much time do I have to buy the train ticket if there is availability?
After finding availability, the tourist must buy his train ticket as soon as possible. It is recommended to do so before the next 3 hours. If it does not, the ticket is put back on sale to the public.
How to buy the local train ticket?
The local train is a non-tourist service intended for people who must travel daily from Cusco to Machu Picchu and vice versa. This service can only be approached by Peruvian visitors who make their purchase in person in Cusco. The great advantage is that it costs only 24 soles in round trips.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, August 25, 2022