Are there spaces available for the Inca Trail 2022?
The Inca Trail is a hiking route of 4 days, 3 nights until arriving at the Inca City of Machu Picchu. This route was recently inaugurated after being closed due to a pandemic. We recommend you reserve them as soon as possible; usually you must do it 6 months before. In this way, not only is a place guaranteed, but you can also choose when you want to be in the Inca City.
- Are there spaces available for the Inca Trail?
- How many versions are there of the Inca Trail?
- The 4-day Classic Inca Trail
- The Short Inca Trail of 2 days
- How to obtain the Inca Trail permits?
- And how is the Inca Trail?
- Questions and answers about the availability of the Inca Trail 2022
The Inca road to Machu Picchu
Do you want to make the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu? The most important thing is to acquire permission to enter. This is done online (through the website of an authorized agency) and 6 months in advance. Otherwise, you will not find availability.
Are there spaces available for the Inca Trail?
- The Inca Trail offers the daily income of 500 people. Of that number, 300 belong to the trekking support team. Therefore, only 200 tourists will end up entering Machu Picchu on the Inca Trail each day.
- The low number of available spaces makes it necessary to buy the entrance to the Inca Trail in advance. It is recommended to enter the internet and reserve the entrance to the Inca Trail 6 months in advance.
- Visitors who wish to buy their entrance to the Inca Trail for the following year, must make the purchase from October (on that date the sale of income to the Inca Trail begins).
Check the availability calendar to check for free spaces:
- Choose the type of Inca Trail you prefer: the ‘Classic 4 days’ version or the ‘Short 2 days’ version.
- Choose the month and day you want to start the Inca Trail route.
- Check that there is current availability of the Inca Trail on the date you chose.
- If you did not find availability, look for a different date than the chosen one (it is recommended to make the purchase 6 months before).
How many versions are there of the Inca Trail?
- There are 2 versions of the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu: the ‘Classic’ 4-day hike and the ‘Short’ hike of only 2 days. Both travel ancient Inca trails built hundreds of years ago as well as the entrance to the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
- The Inca Trail ‘Classic 4 days’ is preferred by tourists. This is mainly due to the adventure it represents and the landscapes it travels. The ‘Inca Trail of 2 days’, however, is preferred by tourists who do not have much vacation time or who did not get a tour to the ‘Classic Inca Trail’ in time.
The 4-day Classic Inca Trail
The Classic Inca Trail lasts 4 days and 3 nights. It covers approximately 43 kilometers of mountainous geographies and jungles. It crosses Inca archaeological sites such as: Runkuracay, Wiñaywayna, Patallacta and, of course, Machu Picchu. The entrance to the Inca City is through the famous Puerta del Sol (Intipunku) , the original entrance gate in the time of the Incas.
- Type of trip: hiking, camping, adventure, history, culture.
- Total distance: 43 kilometers / 26 miles.
- Recommended: For people who enjoy hiking and have a moderate physical level.
- Difficulty: Challenging
- Considerations: You need to buy income in advance.
The Short Inca Trail of 2 days
The Short Inca Trail lasts only 2 days and 1 night. It travels approximately 10 kilometers. In addition to Machu Picchu includes the visit to the archaeological site of Wiñaywayna. The tour includes 1 hotel night in the town of Aguas Calientes.
- Type of trip: hiking, adventure, history, culture.
- Total distance: 10 kilometers.
- Recommended: For people who are looking for adventure and have a moderate physical state.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Considerations: Revenue can be purchased days in advance.
How to obtain the Inca Trail permits?
- There is no way to enter the Inca Trail if it is not through an authorized travel agency. The agencies offer admission to the trek as well as: full transport, cooks, porters, camping equipment, tour guide, Machu Picchu entrance and more.
And how is the Inca Trail?
- The tour of the historic Inca Trail is commonly known as one of the best walks the world has to offer. The route does not need previous experience, just a pair of comfortable hiking boots and the desire to reach the goal.
- Each tourist will travel 43 kilometers in 3 days (on the last day you visit Machu Picchu and make the trip back to Cusco by train). The highest point of the trek is in ‘The passage of the dead woman’ at 4,125 meters from the sea (13,533 ft).
- From the highest point the descent begins to the Peruvian jungle eyebrow where Machu Picchu is located. Keep in mind that it is the only walk that will take you directly to the Intipunku, just as the Incas did centuries ago.
- After 3 days of hiking and camping, tourists will visit Machu Picchu on the morning of day 4. Then the return trip is made by train from Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) to Ollantaytambo and, from there, to the city of Cusco.
Inca Trail trails
Questions and answers about the availability of the Inca Trail 2022
1) How many kilometers is the Inca Trail?
The Inca Trail is a tourist route of 39 kilometers. This distance is covered in 4 days of walking and 3 nights of rest in camps.
2) Is the Inca Trail closed in 2022?
The Inca Trail remains open throughout 2022, except for February due to heavy rains.
3) Where does the Inca Trail start and where does it end?
The Inca Trail begins at kilometer 82 of the railway that connects Ollantaytambo with Aguas Calientes. The end is in Machu Picchu, after 39 kilometers of walking.
4) Is the Inca Trail available for all ages?
Yes. However, it is recommended that tourists enjoy this type of walk. Therefore, it is recommended that visitors are over 8 years old and under 65 years old.
5) How much does the Inca Trail tour cost?
The 4-day Inca Trail tour to Machu Picchu costs between 500 to 700 dollars for tourists approximately. This price varies according to the tourism agency you choose for your tour.
6) Is the Inca Trail dangerous?
No, the Inca Trail is a safe hike if all the instructions of the accompanying tour guide are followed. Do not take a detour off the route or approach the precipices.
7) Did the Incas build the Inca Trail?
Yes, the Inca Trail is a route that is part of the qhapac ñan, or royal Inca roads built during the time of Emperor Pachacutec (1418 – 1471).
8) How long in advance should I buy the Inca Trail tour?
The 4-day Inca Trail tour is highly requested by tourists from all over the world. Therefore, it is recommended to make the purchase online 6 or 7 months in advance.
9) Do Peruvians have discounts on the Inca Trail?
Yes, Peruvians have a special discount on the 4-day Inca Trail tour to Machu Picchu. Check the prices according to each tourism agency in Cusco.
10) With which tourism agency to do the Inca Trail?
In Cusco there are dozens of tourism agencies that offer the Inca Trail tour to Machu Picchu. Choose the one that fully complies with all its services offered. An excellent idea is to check the comments of other tourists in the internet tourism forums.
Advice from people who have been there
“The last day of the hike is spectacular!“
“To be honest, we only did the last stage of the walk, the short walk, so I can't talk about the rest of the tour, but what we saw was incredibly beautiful and interesting. We went through two very impressive archaeological sites and saw a waterfall. I'm not in great shape but I could do the hike quite easily, so I recommend everyone to do it. It's something that has to do with your own eyes. “
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, March 10, 2022