On your trip to the Wonder of the World you will have the possibility of hiking through two mountains: Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu. Both mountains need a special ticket. Both offer spectacular views. However, these two adventures are not the same.
Know the differences between both tourist attractions.
- Learn a little more about the Huayna Picchu mountain
- Learn a little more about Machu Picchu mountain
- Differences between the mountains Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu
- This is Huayna Picchu mountain
- This is Machu Picchu mountain
- Questions and answers about the Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains
Learn a little more about the Huayna Picchu mountain
- The mountain Huayna Picchu is the one that appears behind the Inca City in the classic postcard photo of Machu Picchu .
- It is known as the ‘Young Mountain’. The walk along its paths is recognized as one of the most incredible short walks on the planet.
- Its Inca trails are steep and narrow. They were built on the side of the mountain. They can be scary for people with fear of heights.
- If you suffer from vertigo or cannot control your fear of heights, you better overlook this mountain.
- In Huayna Picchu there is a famous archeological site called Temple of the Moon . The Incas built this temple in the middle of a cave.
The hike to the top of Huayna Picchu is more vertical than the Machu Picchu mountain. However, climbing the Waynapicchu will take less time.
Learn a little more about Machu Picchu mountain
- Machu Picchu Mountain offers less steep, wider and visually less frightening roads than Huayna Picchu .
- It is known as the ‘Old Mountain’. In their skirts the Incas built the Inca City that today amazes the world.
- The hike on this mountain is suitable for tourists of any age. It is ideal if you come with children or elderly people.
- It is not necessary to reach the top to enjoy the scenery. In the middle of the road you can take good photos of Machu Picchu.
- In Machu Picchu mountain there is no temple or Inca site .
Machu Picchu Mountain offers 400 tickets every day. The ticket can be booked up to weeks in advance. The Huayna Picchu ticket (400 tickets per day) up to 3 months before.
Differences between the mountains Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu
The ascent to the Huayna Picchu mountain is one of the most amazing walks. However, if you cannot overcome your fear of heights, we recommend you book the ticket to Machu Picchu Mountain .
This is Huayna Picchu mountain
Learn in detail everything that Waynapicchu mountain offers:
- Restrictions : Only for over 12 years.
- Height : 2,720 masl
- Walking distance : 2 kilometers of steep and narrow roads.
- Location : North of the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
- Road Description : The trails are quite steep, you will need ropes to overcome some parts of the road. It will cross rock-built staircases and wooden stairs; The road is visually scary.
- Access : From the Inca City of Machu Picchu, through the Sector de las Huayranas (Sacred Rock). Here you will find the entrance control booth to the Waynapicchu mountain.
- Schedules :
- First Group : Machu Picchu from 6 am / Huayna Picchu from 7 am – 8 am
- Second Group : Machu Picchu from 7 am / Huayna Picchu from 7 am to 8 am
- Third Group : Machu Picchu from 8 am / Huayna Picchu from 10.30 am to 11.30 am
- Number of visitors : 400 tourists per day.
- Walking Time : 2 hours and 30 minutes (ascent and descent).
- Degree of Difficulty : Moderately high. It is a steep mountain, with cliffs and many steps (not recommended if you suffer from vertigo).
- Archaeological Attractions : Andenería and the amazing Temple of the Moon, built inside a natural cave.
- Flora and fauna : Landscape of jungle eyebrow, abundant vegetation, which serves as habitat for birds, butterflies and insects.
- Advantages : Some of the best panoramic views of the Inca City and the amazing mountain environment where it is located.
- Disadvantages : Precipitation covered with vegetation, steep ascent, narrow roads.
View of the Inca City of Machu Picchu from the Huayna Picchu Mountain
This is Machu Picchu mountain
Learn in detail everything that Machu Picchu mountain offers:
- Restrictions : Suitable for tourists of any age.
- Height : 3,082 masl
- Walking distance : 2 kilometers where you will ascend approximately 300 vertical meters.
- Location : In front of Huayna Picchu and to the left of the traditional road.
- Road Description : Abundant vegetation, wild orchids stand out. The wide paths will allow you to travel in a calm way.
- Access : From the Machu Picchu Complex, go up to the viewpoint (Guardian’s House) continue until the detour indicated by a sign.
- Schedules :
- First Group : Machu Picchu from 6 am / Mountain from 7 am – 8 am
- Second Group : Machu Picchu from 7 am / Mountain from 7 am to 8 am
- Third Group : Machu Picchu from 8 am / Mountain from 9 am to 10 am
- Number of visitors : 800 spaces per day.
- Walking Time : 3 hours and a half (round trip).
- Degree of Difficulty : Moderate / high.
- Archaeological Attractions : None.
- Flora and fauna : You will find a variety of orchids, butterflies and birds.
- Advantages : Less steep trails, panoramic views of the Inca City and the Huayna Picchu Mountain.
- Disadvantages : It has no archaeological remains. It is difficult to reach the top.
View of the Inca City of Machu Picchu from the Machu Picchu Mountain
If you are going hiking, wear trekking shoes. Also carry sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, mosquito repellent and rainwear.
Questions and answers about the Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains
1) Do the entrances to these mountains include a visit to the Inca City of Machu Picchu?
Yes . Both the ticket to enter the Huayna Picchu and mountains Machu Picchu include visiting the Inca city of Machu Picchu and the Inca constructions: Sun Temple, Intihuatana, Temple of the Condor, etc .
2) How long before buying tickets to Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu mountain?
It is recommended to buy the entrance to Huayna Picchu 3 months in advance. The entrance ticket to the Machu Picchu mountain must be purchased 3 weeks before.
3) Can children enter Machu Picchu mountain?
Yes. The entrance to the Machu Picchu mountain is allowed for children and adults. Minors must enter with their father, mother or both.
4) Which of the tickets is cheaper?
The price of tickets to Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu mountain have the same cost.
Check the prices of the Machu Picchu tickets.
5) Can I suffer from altitude sickness in these mountains?
Yes. Huayna Picchu is 2,720 meters above sea level Machu Picchu Mountain, 3,082 meters above sea level At that height it is normal to suffer from altitude sickness. However, if the tourist has already acclimatized to the city of Cusco (3,399 masl) the symptoms will be zero or minimal.
6) Are the mountains Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu dangerous?
No. Both Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains have security elements such as ropes or assistants. The tourist is recommended not to look for a road through sections not marked or allowed.
7) In which of the two mountains can I find the best photos of Machu Picchu?
The two mountains offer incredible views of the Inca City of Machu Picchu. Tourists can also do the trek to the Intipunku (Puerta del Sol) to have good landscapes in the Wonder of the World.
8) Which of the two mountains to choose?
Machu Picchu mountain is ideal for families looking for a little adventure in their vacations in Peru. Huayna Picchu is recommended for young adventurers. After all, both summits are good options in the Wonder of the World.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, September 10, 2019