Machu Picchu is the dream of many. However, during high tourist season tickets are scarce. This is in months like May, June, July and August, when thousands of tourists sell out the few available tickets. So the best option is to choose one of the tickets with the most availability, such as: the ticket to Huchuy Picchu or the ticket to the Inca Trail 2 days. Learn more!
- The availability at Machu Picchu
- The entrance to Machu Picchu + Huchuy Picchu
- The entrance to the Inca Trail 2 days
- The entrance to Machu Picchu on the Hydroelectric route
- Questions and answers about the tickets with the most availability to Machu Picchu
- Photo gallery
The best way to find availability at Machu Picchu is to buy tickets online two or three months in advance. This way you can choose the day of your visit and the time that best suits you. Doing it in person in Cusco puts your visit to Machu Picchu at risk. The reason? Tickets are limited. Visit Machu Picchu as you deserve it!
The availability at Machu Picchu
You can buy entrance tickets to Machu Picchu online or directly in the city of Cusco. However, if you wait to arrive in Peru to buy your tickets, you run the risk of not finding availability.
Machu Picchu has an average availability of 4,044 visitors per day. They make their visit, either as part of a tour or by directly purchasing their ticket through online sales channels.
This number of visitors is divided between their different types of tickets, which are:
- Ticket Machupicchu Only
- Ticket Machupicchu + Huaynapicchu
- Ticket Machupicchu + Mountain
- Ticket Machupicchu + Inca Bridge
- Ticket Machupicchu + Huchuypicchu
- Ticket Inca Trail to Machupicchu.
Of all these tickets, the ticket that offers the greatest availability is the ‘Machu Picchu Only’ ticket.. However, in the peak tourist season months (May, June, July and August); Tickets usually sell out very quickly.
Given this, the tickets that sell out less quickly and, therefore, offer more availability in high tourism season are: the Machupicchu + Huchuypicchu ticket and the Inca Trail to Machupicchu ticket.
Both tickets, therefore, are the ones that offer the greatest availability of tickets to Machu Picchu during the high tourist season.
The entrance to Machu Picchu + Huchuy Picchu
- The Machu Picchu + Huchuypicchu entrance are the ones that allow greater availability to visit Machu Picchu on days of high ticket demand.
- To have a better experience, it is recommended to buy the ‘Machupicchu + Huchuypicchu’ tour. This tour allows reservations to be made a few days in advance.
- The Huchuy Picchu mountain allows you to visit the lower part of Machu Picchu (circuit 4). It also allows you to take the short walk to the top of the Huchuy Picchu mountain, located at 2,497 meters above sea level.
- Huchuy Picchu mountain offers a panoramic view of the Inca citadel. In addition, it allows you to take a short but memorable walk in Machu Picchu.
- At the archaeological site it is possible to carry out circuit 4 that includes a visit to: the agricultural sector, the House of the Inka, the Temple of the Sun, the Temple of the 3 Windows, the Sacred Rock and more
The entrance to the Inca Trail 2 days
- The Inca Trail 2-day ticket ticket is one of the ones with the most availability in the high tourism season (May, June, July and August).
- Unlike the other types of tickets to Machu Picchu, this ticket can only be purchased as part of an all-inclusive tour organized by a tourism agency.
- The 2-day Inca Trail tour allows you to take an all-inclusive tour through the hiking routes known as the qhapac ñan (royal Inca roads).
- The 2-day Inca Trail tour covers approximately 14 kilometers: from kilometer 104 of the railway to Machu Picchu to the Inca citadel itself, entering through the historic Intipunku (Sun Gate), just as the Incas did.
- The first day you do not visit Machu Picchu, you only descend on foot to the town of Aguas Calientes. The visit to the Inca city takes place on the second day.
- The 2-day Inca Trail tour includes: pick-up from the hotel, complete tourist transportation (train, bus), professional guide, permits and entrance fees, food, as well as one night in a tourist hotel in Aguas Calientes.
- The 2-day Inca Trail tour can be purchased 1 or 2 weeks in advance without problems. Even during peak tourist season.
The entrance to Machu Picchu on the Hydroelectric route
- Although the entrance to Machu Picchu is easily sold out during high tourist season (May, June, July and August); There is an option to obtain availability of income to Machu Picchu. It involves buying a ticket in the town of Aguas Calientes, one night before the visit.
- The town of Aguas Calientes has approximately one thousand tickets available. These tickets, according to the rules of the Peruvian Ministry of Culture, can only be purchased in person with an identity document or passport in hand.
- However, due to the high demand for tickets, it is best to make the purchase a day or night before. Thus, the visitor ensures their visit to Machu Picchu with total comfort.
- Among the tours that can be done with this ticket are: the Machupicchu 2-day economic route tour through Hydroelectric. This tour allows you to purchase the ticket one night before the visit to the Inca citadel (in the town of Aguas Calientes).
- Due to the low cost of the tour, it is one of the most recommended services in Machu Picchu.
Questions and answers about the tickets with the most availability to Machu Picchu
1) What is the entrance to Machu Picchu with the most availability?
The ‘Machu Picchu Solo’ entrance is the one that offers the greatest availability of income to Machu Picchu each day.
2) When is the high tourist season in Machu Picchu?
The high tourism season in Machu Picchu occurs in the months of May, June, July and August. On those days the demand for entrance tickets to Machu Picchu increases, so it is recommended to purchase in advance.
3) Can I run out of tickets to Machu Picchu?
Yes, during high tourist season there is a risk of running out of tickets to Machu Picchu. It is recommended to make the purchase online in advance (2 or 3 months).
4) Can I buy entry to Machu Picchu online?
Yes, buying the ticket to Machu Picchu online is the best way to get tickets safely. You can make the purchase on the official website or through an official tourism agency.
5) Can I buy entry to Machu Picchu in person?
Yes, you can buy the ticket to Machu Picchu in person at: Calle Maruri 324. However, during high tourist season it is unlikely to find availability. Given this, it is recommended to buy the ticket in the town of Aguas Calientes (at the office in the main square). Tickets can be purchased one day in advance.
6) Where to buy tickets to Machu Picchu in Aguas Calientes?
The sale of tickets to Machu Picchu in the town of Aguas Calientes is carried out at the offices of the Ministry of Culture of Peru at the intersection of the Main Plaza with Pachacútec Avenue.
7) How long before can I buy a ‘Machupicchu + Huchuypicchu’ ticket?
During the high tourist season, the ‘Machupicchu + Huchuypicchu’ ticket can be purchased two or three weeks in advance, making it one of the tickets with the greatest availability.
8) How long before can I buy the ‘Inca Trail 2 days’ ticket?
During the high tourist season, the 2-day Inca Trail tour can be purchased two or three weeks in advance. That is why it is one of the tickets and tours with the greatest availability.
9) How many people can visit Machu Picchu each day?
Machu Picchu has availability for approximately 4,044 visitors per day.
10) How to pay the entrance to Machu Picchu online?
To pay for the ticket to Machu Picchu purchased online, you must register a Visa or American Express credit or debit card. This both on the official website of the Ministry of Culture of Peru or on the website of an authorized tourism agency.
Advice from people who have been there
“Machu Picchu Place for everyone“
“The hike to Huchuy Picchu mountain was easier than I thought. However, you should not trust yourself. The roads are narrow and you have to be careful. The reward is an amazing view, full of wonderful landscapes. I hope everyone can visit this mountain, even once in their life. I recommend it“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 6, 2023