There are many people who decide to use the buses to get to Machu Picchu. The other option is to walk up. The buses depart from the town of Aguas Calientes to the door to the ‘Ciudadela Inca’ (9 kilometers approximately).
These are some of the questions that tourists ask about the bus to Machu Picchu.
- What is the bus ticket to Machu Picchu?
- Should I choose to go by bus to Machu Picchu?
- Climb on foot or take the bus to Machu Picchu?
- Where do buses depart from to Machu Picchu?
- What are the bus schedules to Machu Picchu?
- What time does the last bus to Machu Picchu leave from Aguas Calientes?
- Where to buy bus tickets to Machu Picchu?
- Can I buy bus tickets to Machu Picchu in Cusco?
- How much does the bus ticket to Machu Picchu cost?
- From what age is adult fee paid for bus tickets?
- Is the bus trip to Machu Picchu dangerous?
- How to travel by bus to Machu Picchu from Cusco?
- Is there a bus from Lima to Machu Picchu?
- Photo gallery
Bus stop at Machu Picchu
What is the bus ticket to Machu Picchu?
The bus ticket to Machu Picchu is the ticket that leads to the entrance door to the Inca Citadel from the town of Aguas Calientes, 9 kilometers away.
The purchase of bus tickets is made in the town of Aguas Calientes in Cusco, Peru. It is also possible to do it online.
Should I choose to go by bus to Machu Picchu?
There are two ways to get there by bus to Machu Picchu from Aguas Calientes: with the bus ticket or walking.
If you think you do not have enough physique to do the one and a half hour walk from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, then take the bus.
If it rains, if it comes with people of advanced age or with small children; buy bus tickets. It is the best option to enjoy the Inca Citadel to the fullest.
Climb on foot or take the bus to Machu Picchu?
People with an acceptable physical condition can choose to walk from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu. But if your physical condition is not so good, you can get on the bus and return walking.
If you chose to travel the mountains Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu, it is not advisable to go Machu Picchu walking. Remember that the best of Machu Picchu is up there and that in no way should I get tired.
Where do buses depart from to Machu Picchu?
The buses to Machu Picchu leave from the town of Aguas Calientes, also known as Machu Picchu Pueblo. The bus station is located on Hermanos Ayar a / n avenue.
What are the bus schedules to Machu Picchu?
The buses allow you to travel comfortably during the 25 minutes of the journey to Machu Picchu. The first bus departs at 5.30 am From that moment, they will depart every 10 minutes towards the Wonder of the World.
What time does the last bus to Machu Picchu leave from Aguas Calientes?
The last bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu goes up at 3.30 pm Admission is until 4 pm Remember that you can stay inside the Inca Citadel until 5 pm
Where to buy bus tickets to Machu Picchu?
Aguas Calientes is a small town. There are no taxis so you can walk anywhere. Bus tickets are sold in a sales module located on Hermanos Ayar avenue, a few meters from the train station.
The demand for tickets is not high. You do not need to book in advance. You can buy bus tickets in Aguas Calientes, without any inconvenience.
The bus service hours to Machu Picchu in Aguas Calientes are from 5 am to 5 pm
Can I buy bus tickets to Machu Picchu in Cusco?
Although it is usual to buy bus tickets to Machu Picchu in the town of Aguas Calientes, you can also use the ticket offices that you can find in the city of Cusco.
Buying in Cusco will avoid the huge queues at the Aguas Calientes ticket office. This especially if you are making your trip during the high tourist season (June, July or August).
Where to buy tickets in Cusco?
- Av. Infancia 433 – Wanchaq: from 8 am to 12.45 pm and from 3 pm to 6 pm
- Av. El Sol 380 – Banco Interbank: from 8 am to 12.45 pm and from 3 pm to 6 pm
How much does the bus ticket to Machu Picchu cost?
The prices of the bus ticket to Machu Picchu are the following:
|Aguas Calientes bus ticket – Machu Picchu||Price|
|Rates Current rates||Round trip||Round trip|
|Foreign adult||$ 24||$ 12|
|Foreign child||$ 12||$ 7|
|Adult Peru||$ 15||$ 8|
|Student Peru||$ 10||$ 6|
|Child Peru||$ 8||$ 5|
|Person with foreign disability||$ 15||$ 8|
|Person with disability Peru||$ 6||$ 3|
|Resident Cusco||$ 6||$ 3|
* There is no discount for university students or Andean Community (Colombia, Ecuador and Bolivia).
From what age is adult fee paid for bus tickets?
- The adult rate includes tourists over 18 years of age.
- Children between 5 and 11 years of age are considered children.
- The student rate applies to people between 11 and 17 years old.
- People with disabilities must present their disability card.
- Children under 5 years old do not pay.
Is the bus trip to Machu Picchu dangerous?
The trip by bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu is safe for the following reasons:
- The route is short (25 minutes).
- The Hiram Bingham road is only reserved for the buses that lead to Machu Picchu from Aguas Calientes.
- The buses are ecological, comfortable and suitable to transport tourists without any risk.
How to travel by bus to Machu Picchu from Cusco?
From Cusco you arrive at Machu Picchu in a train trip and then by bus. Is it possible to get directly to Aguas Calientes by bus? To arrive by bus from Cusco, you must take the alternative route to Machu Picchu by Hydroelectric.
To arrive by bus to Machu Picchu directly from Cusco you must follow the following steps:
- Take a bus or car from the city of Cusco to the town of Santa Teresa.
- Take a collective taxi from Santa Teresa to the Hydroelectric train station.
- Board the train or simply walk from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes.
- Buy the bus ticket to get from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
Is there a bus from Lima to Machu Picchu?
There is no bus or car that connects directly Lima (capital of Peru) with Machu Picchu.
The best way to get to the ‘Inca City’ from Lima is with an airplane flight to the city of Cusco. Then, you must get to Machu Picchu by train or by the alternative route of Hydroelectric.
In any case, the last leg of the trip is by bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
Advice from people who have been there
“It is exciting to get on the bus and wait 30 minutes to see the wonder. it was a very satisfying experience. Recommendable! I waited for it for many years“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, May 2, 2023