Some countries need a Visa to visit Peru in South America. Getting this document is easy. You only need to approach the consulate of Peru in the country of your residence and request it with the following requirements: your passport, air ticket, photos, application form and, finally, a personal interview.
- Which countries need a Visa to go to Peru?
- What types of visas are there?
- How long does a visa allow in Peru?
- Requirements to obtain your Visa
- How to obtain your Visa?
- How to visit Machu Picchu once in Peru?
- Tips for your trip to Peru
Which countries do not need a Visa for Peru?
All the countries of South America and the European Union as well as the United States, Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand only need your passport to visit Machu Picchu in Peru.
Which countries need a Visa to go to Peru?
- Most countries only need a passport to enter Peru as tourists.
This is the list of countries that require Visa to visit Peru:
Europe : Georgia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Azerbaijan, Albania.
Asia : Vietnam, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, East Timor, Tajikistan, Syria, Laos, North Korea, Qatar, Pakistan, Nepal, Mongolia, Maldives, Lebanon, Libya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, India, Emirates United Arab Emirates, China, Cambodia, Bhutan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Armenia.
Africa : Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Benin, Cameroon, Congo, Ivory Coast, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bisau, Equatorial Guinea, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Burma, Namibia, Nigeria, Central African Republic, Rwanda, Western Sahara, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Swaziland, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Yemen, Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
America : Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua.
What types of visas are there?
There are several types of visas, which can be divided into temporary and residence.
Temporary visas allow a limited time of visit depending on the type of trip. There are temporary visas for: a) tourists, b) business, c) business ABTC, d) students, e) artists, f) religious, g) crew members and h) diplomats.
Residence visas allow you to stay for a long time (renewable) or an indefinite term. There are residency visas for: a) official family, b) resident family, c) religious, d) student, e) worker, f) independent, g) diplomats and h) rentier immigrant.
How long does a visa allow in Peru?
A tourist visiting Machu Picchu will usually request a temporary tourist visa, which allows a maximum stay of 183 days in Peru.
These are the maximum stay times in Peru according to the type of Visa:
|Type of visa||Maximum place of permanence|
|Tourist||183 days without expansion.|
|Business||183 days without expansion.|
|Students||90 days with extension for 1 year.|
|Artists||90 days with 30-day extension.|
|Religious||90 days with extension for 1 year.|
|Crewmen||48 hours with extension for 15 days.|
|Diplomat||90 days with extension.|
|Type of visa||Maximum place of permanence|
|Family||1 year with extension.|
|Employee||1 year with extension.|
|Students||1 year with extension.|
|Religious||1 year with extension.|
|Independent||1 year with extension.|
|Diplomatic||Limited time by the Government of Peru.|
Requirements to obtain your Visa
- Passport or valid travel document.
- Airplane ticket to Peru (round trip).
- Payment of the ‘Consular Rights Fee’.
- Visa Application Form.
- 2 passport size photos with white background.
- Personal interview.
Visa to Peru for tourists
In addition to the documents necessary to obtain the Visa, the tourist who wishes to go to Peru to visit Machu Picchu needs the hotel reservation or printed tour as well as prove economic solvency for the period that will remain in Peru.
How to obtain your Visa?
Foreigners who need a Visa to visit Peru should follow the following steps:
- Go to the embassy of Peru in your country of residence.
- Present the general requirements to obtain a Visa: passport, air ticket receipt, application form, photos and pay the fee for consular fees.
- Carry out the personal interview.
- Present special requirements (depending on the type of Visa you request). Tourists must present: hotel reservation ticket and economic solvency accreditation during the trip.
- If the Embassy of Peru approves your request, you will receive your Visa as soon as possible. The period of validity depends on the type of Visa chosen (the Tourist Visa is valid for 183 days).
How to visit Machu Picchu once in Peru?
If you already got your Visa to Peru, you just have to follow these steps to know Machu Picchu:
- Once in Peru you must take a plane to the city of Cusco since the only international airport is located in Lima, capital of the country.
- In Cusco, if the visitor did not acquire a tour, he must buy his entrance Machu Picchu as well as his train ticket. However, it is best to buy these tickets online in advance.
- To visit Machu Picchu you only need to present your entry ticket as well as your passport or identity document (Visa is not necessary).
- In Cusco, in addition to Machu Picchu, you can visit the Sacred Valley of the Incas, do adventure sports, tour the city and much more.
Tips for your trip to Peru
- If you need a Visa to go to Peru, process the document in advance. Remember that the tourist visa is valid for 1 year and that the maximum period of stay in Peru is 183 days.
- If you already got your Visa, book your tour or buy your ticket to Machu Picchu online 2 or 3 weeks in advance. There is an official sales website as well as tourist agencies that offer the tickets.
- Also purchase your train ticket on the Peru Rail or Inca Rail websites.
- In Peru, always carry your Visa, passport, identity document or university card, as the case may be.
- Take care of your personal belongings in public places. Keep a copy of your passport or identity document to use in case of theft or loss.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, September 26, 2023