Huayna Picchu 2023: changes, availability and prices
The Huayna Picchu entrance is the ticket that allows you to enter the famous Waynapicchu mountain. Only 200 tourists a day can access this adventure. The low availability makes this ticket the most difficult to get in Machu Picchu. Learn about the changes in Huayna Picchu for 2023.
- The difference between Huayna Picchu and other Machu Picchu tickets
- What is the most important change in Huayna Picchu for 2023?
- Huayna Picchu 2023 schedules
- How much does the Huayna Picchu 2023 ticket cost?
- How to buy the ticket?
- How to access the discounts?
- How far in advance should I buy the ticket?
- Does Huayna Picchu close in 2023?
- More information about the Huayna Picchu ticket
- Questions and answers about Huayna Picchu in 2023
In 2023 the entrance Machupicchu with Huaynapicchu is still the most requested by tourists. It is recommended to make the purchase 3 months in advance. The ticket allows you to visit Machu Picchu by circuit 4 (lower part of the archaeological site). It also allows you to hike to the top of Huayna Picchu. For security measures and the optional hike to the Temple of the Moon (the Great Cavern) is not allowed.
The difference between Huayna Picchu and other Machu Picchu tickets
Know the difference between the Huayna Picchu 2023 ticket and the other Machu Picchu tickets:
|TICKETS MACHU PICCHU 2023||TICKET MACHUPICCHU ONLY||TICKET MACHUPICCHU + HUAYNAPICCHU||TICKET MACHUPICCHU + MOUNTAIN||TICKET MACHUPICCHU + HUCHUYPICCHU||TICKET MACHUPICCHU + INCA BRIDGE|
|Price||152 S/.||200 S/.||200 S/.||152 S/.||152 S/.|
|Includes||Citadel of Machu Picchu||Citadel of Machu Picchu and Huaynapicchu mountain||Citadel of Machu Picchu and Machupicchu mountain||Citadel of Machu Picchu and Huchuypicchu mountain||Citadel of Machu Picchu and Inca Bridge|
|Type of photos||Classic photo postcard||Landscape photo in Huaynapicchu||Classic photo postcard and landscape photo in mountain||Landscape photo in Huchuypicchu||Classic postcard photo and photo of the Inca Bridge|
|Constructions in Machupicchu||The Temple of the Sun, the Sacred Square, the Temple of the 3 Windows, the Intihuatana, the Sacred Rock, the Temple of the Condor, etc.||The Sacred Rock, the Temple of the Condor, the Temple of the Sun, the Water Mirrors, the Temple of the 3 Windows, etc.||The Temple of the Sun, the House of the Inka, the Ceremonial Fountains, the Hall of Mirrors, the Temple of the Condor, etc.||The Sacred Rock, the Temple of the Condor, the Temple of the Sun, the Water Mirrors, the Temple of the 3 Windows, etc.||Inca Bridge, the Temple of the Sun, the Sacred Plaza, the Temple of the 3 Windows, the Intihuatana, the Sacred Rock, the Temple of the Condor, etc.|
|Altitude||Machu Picchu (2,430 masl).||Huayna Picchu (2,693 masl).||Machupicchu Mountain (3,082 masl).||Huchuypicchu Mountain (2,497 masl).||Inca Bridge (2,400 masl).|
|Walking distance||600 meters.||2 kilometers.||2 kilometers.||1 kilometres.||1 kilometres.|
|Walking difficulty||Easy||Moderate – Difficult||Hard||Easy||Easy|
|Advance purchase||2 or 3 weeks before.||3 or 4 months before.||3 or 4 months before.||2 or 3 weeks before.||2 or 3 weeks before.|
|Age limit||Suitable for everyone.||Suitable for ages 12 and up.||Suitable for everyone.||Suitable for everyone.||Suitable for everyone.|
|Circuit available||Circuit 1, 2, 3 or 4||Circuit 4||Circuit 3||Circuit 4||Circuit 1 or 2|
|Re-entry to Machupicchu||No.||No.||Yes, once.||No.||No.|
What is the most important change in Huayna Picchu for 2023?
- Currently there are 4 groups or schedules to enter Huayna Picchu (Group 1, Group 2, Group 3 and Group 4).
- All groups allow you to visit both Machu Picchu and the Huayna Picchu mountain.
- The optional route to the Temple of the Moon (the great Cavern) remains closed until further notice.
- Visitors will have up to 6 hours to visit Machu Picchu and Waynapicchu.
Huayna Picchu 2023 schedules
These are the entry hours:
- Group 1 enters Waynapicchu from 7 am to 8 am The entrance to Machu Picchu is from 6 am You can stay a maximum of 6 hours from the moment of entry.
- Group 2 enters Waynapicchu from 8 am to 9 am The entrance to Machu Picchu is from 7 am You can stay a maximum of 6 hours from the moment of entry.
- Group 3 enters Waynapicchu from 9 am to 10 am The entrance to Machu Picchu is from 8 am You can stay a maximum of 6 hours from the moment of entry.
- Group 4 enters Waynapicchu from 10 am to 11 am The entrance to Machu Picchu is from 9 am You can stay a maximum of 6 hours from the moment of entry.
- All groups include a visit to Machu Picchu and all its Inca constructions.
The entrance to Huayna Picchu also includes access to the Inca city of Machu Picchu. There the route follows the so-called ‘Circuit 4’ that includes a visit to: the Sacred Rock, the Temple of the Condor, the Temple of the Sun, the House of the Inka, the Water Mirrors and more. It is not allowed to go back the steps or re-enter Machu Picchu.
How much does the Huayna Picchu 2023 ticket cost?
These are the ticket prices:
|TICKET MACHU PICCHU + HUAYNA PICCHU 2023 OFFICIAL|
|Foreign||Price||National (Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador).||Price|
|Adult||200 S/.||Adult||112 S/.|
|Student||118 S/.||Student||80 S/.|
|Child (8 to 17 years old)||118 S/.||Child (8 to 17 years old)||80 S/.|
*Prices in Peruvian soles (S /.)
How to buy the ticket?
To buy the Huayna Picchu 2023 ticket, the tourist must make a reservation online and make the payment with Visa or MasterCard, American Express, among others.
Follow these steps to buy the Huayna Picchu ticket:
- Make your reservation online through the official page of the Disconcerted Directorate of Culture Cusco or with the website of an authorized travel agency.
- Make the payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express cards or some other payment method (Diners Club, PayPal).
- Print the tickets that will be sent to you in PDF format and present them the day of your visit to Huayna Picchu.
How to access the discounts?
The Huayna Picchu 2023 ticket offers discounts for different types of visitors who meet the following requirements:
- University students:
- Be an undergraduate student and under 25 years old.
- Reserve the ticket by sending an email with the valid university card.
- Be under the age of 18.
- Reserve the ticket by sending an email with the passport or identity document.
- Tourists from Peru, Colombia, Ecuador or Bolivia:
- Be a citizen or resident foreigner in the countries of the Andean Community of Nations: Peru, Colombia, Ecuador or Bolivia.
- Reserve the ticket by sending an email with the passport, identity document or immigration card.
The purchase of the Huayna Picchu ticket with a discount for university students and minors is only made through the website of an authorized travel agency. Remember that access to the mountain is only allowed for people over 12 years old.
How far in advance should I buy the ticket?
- The Huayna Picchu 2023 ticket must be reserved in advance.
- It is recommended to buy the ticket 2 months in advance.
- In the months of May to August, you must buy the ticket 3 or 4 months before.
- It is not possible to purchase the Huayna Picchu ticket in Cusco days before the visit.
Does Huayna Picchu close in 2023?
- Huayna Picchu is open every day of the year.
- In 2023, Waynapicchu is not expected to close except for an emergency that puts the safety of tourists at risk.
- Like Waynapicchu, Machu Picchu is open all the time.
More information about the Huayna Picchu ticket
- The Huayna Picchu 2023 ticket allows you to stay a maximum of 6 hours, both in Machu Picchu and in the mountain.
- The average stay in the Huayna Picchu mountain is 3 hours.
- In total, 200 people enter Huayna Picchu every day (distributed in the 4 groups of 50 people).
- Previously, the Temple of the Moon was open to all tourists. If the tourist visits Temple of the Moon of Huayna Picchu, you must take a detour from the top of the mountain. The road to this construction takes an additional 2 hours to the normal route.
- Huayna Picchu is recognized as one of the most incredible short trail routes on the planet.
- Waynapicchu means ‘Young Mountain’ in Quechua, the language of the Incas that is still spoken in the Andes of Peru.
Questions and answers about Huayna Picchu in 2023
1) How much does the entrance to Huayna Picchu cost?
The entrance for foreign adults costs 200 Peruvian soles. Adults from Peru, Colombia, Ecuador or Bolivia pay 112 Peruvian soles.
2) How to buy the ticket?
Tickets must be purchased online 3 or 4 months in advance. Payment is made with Visa, MasterCard or American Express cards. The ticket is sent to the tourist’s email ready to be printed.
3) Is there a discount for college students?
Yes, undergraduate university students under 25 years of age pay 118 Peruvian soles. University students from Peru, Colombia, Ecuador or Bolivia pay 80 soles.
4) Is Huayna Picchu open in 2023?
Yes, the Huayna Picchu mountain remains open for all of 2023.
5) Can I buy the Huayna Picchu ticket in Cusco?
Although it is possible to buy the entrance to Huayna Picchu, it is best to buy it online. The reason? This ticket sells out approximately 3 months before. Therefore, it is best to make the purchase online.
6) Should I wear a mask to enter Huayna Picchu?
Yes, the use of a mask is mandatory to enter Machu Picchu and the Huayna Picchu mountain.
7) Can children under 12 years enter Huayna Picchu?
No, children under 12 years old cannot enter the Huayna Picchu mountain. Those under 18 years of age can but accompanied by their father, mother or guardian.
8) Is the walk to the top of Huayna Picchu difficult?
The walk to the top of Huayna Picchu has a moderate – high difficulty. The distance is 2 kilometers along paths and stone steps. Reaching the top takes 1 hour or more, depending on the physical condition of the visitor.
9) Can I visit the Temple of the Moon in 2023?
No, the Temple of the Moon (also known as The Great Cavern) is closed by order of the Machu Picchu authorities.
10) How much does the Huayna Picchu entrance cost for Peruvians?
Adult Peruvians pay 112 soles. Peruvian university students pay 80 soles. Peruvian minors (from 3 to 17 years old) also pay 80 soles.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, September 28, 2022