Sacred Valley of the Incas in the list of 52 places to visit
Canada is at the top of the list of 52 places to visit by the American newspaper The New York Times . On the list is the Sacred Valley of the Incas in Cusco. This beautiful valley offers archeological sites, adventure sports, restaurants, hotels and everything you need for a unique experience in Peru.
- The Sacred Valley of the Incas and the list of 52 places to visit
- Other places in South America included in the list
- What to do in the Sacred Valley of the Incas?
- How to visit the Sacred Valley of the Incas?
- More information about the Sacred Valley of the Incas
Cusco in Peru not only offers Machu Picchu. Another of its best tourist attractions is the Sacred Valley of the Incas, which was included in the list of 52 places to visit published by the American newspaper The New York Times in 2017. The list includes 3 other places in South America.
The Sacred Valley of the Incas in the list of 52 places to visit
- The Sacred Valley of the Incas is ranked 46th on the list of 52 places to visit in 2017, according to the American newspaper The New York Times.
This is the complete list of the 52 places to visit that The New York Times produced :
- Atacama Desert, Chile.
- Agra, India
- Zermatt, Switzerland
- Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Grand Teton, Wyoming, United States.
- Tijuana, Mexico
- Detroit, Michigan
- Hamburg, Germany
- Marrakech, Morocco
- Greenville, South Carolina, United States.
- Pedregal, Ecuador.
- Penzance, England
- Osaka, Japan
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Sikkim, India
- Porquerolles Island, France.
- Sanya, China
- Great Barrier Reef, Australia.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States.
- Kingston, Jamaica
- Comporta, Portugal.
- Athens, Greece.
- The northeast of Puerto Rico.
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Napa Valley, California, United States.
- Puerto Escondido, Mexico
- Sedona, Arizona, United States.
- Madrid Spain.
- Ketchum, Idaho, United States.
- The Maldives
- Calabria, Italy
- Antequera, Spain.
- Lofoten Islands, Norway.
- Esteros del Iberá, Argentina.
- Istria, Croatia
- Placencia, Belize.
- Langtang, Nepal
- Bozcaada, Turkey.
- Birmingham, Alabama, United States.
- Sacred Valley of the Incas, Peru .
- Laikipia, Kenya
- Busan, South Korea.
- Portland, Oregon, United States.
- Budapest, Hungary.
- The South Bronx, New York, United States.
- Ryukyu Islands, Japan.
Other places in South America included in the list
In addition to the Sacred Valley of the Incas, there are 3 other places in South America included in the list:
- Atacama Desert, Chile – This desert is 1600 kilometers long. It is considered the driest on the planet. Despite this there is possible to appreciate beautiful dunes, salt lagoons and more. One of the most important attractions is the ‘Death Valley’.
- El Pedregal Valley of Ecuador – El Pedregal is a popular place for visitors visiting the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador. The landscape is full of volcanoes and grasslands ideal for horse riding as well as cycling, hiking and more.
- The estuaries of Ibera, Argentina – This natural area has 1.2 hectares protected in northern Argentina. There you can see beautiful landscapes as well as the natural life of birds and wild animals. With the new projects that protect it, Ibera estuaries will be the largest protected natural area in Argentina.
What to do in the Sacred Valley of the Incas?
- The Sacred Valley of the Incas offers many places and things to do. For example, you can have amazing cultural experiences in the town of Pisac. You can also visit the famous archaeological site of Ollantaytambo , the Salineras de Maras or the textile centers of Chinchero.
These are the main tourist attractions of the Sacred Valley of the Incas:
- Pisac – Pisac was one of the most important Inca citadels during the Inca empire. It has platforms, terraces, temples, enclosures and other buildings made of stone with great perfection. There is currently a town at the foot of the archeological site famous for its artisan market.
- Chinchero – Chinchero is the town where the Inca Tupac Yupanqui had his palace built. Today, on its walls, the Chinchero Colonial Temple was built. Most tourists come to this town for its textile centers, where clothing is made with a traditional process hundreds of years ago.
- Maras – The Salineras de Maras are made up of hundreds of natural salt wells formed in Cusco thousands of years ago. The landscape that is formed because of the salt wells are an important tourist attraction before or after visiting Machu Picchu.
- Moray – Moray’s circular platforms were built by the Incas in order to produce crops at different temperatures. Today, these agricultural terraces are one of the most important tourist attractions of Cusco. Due to its proximity to the Salineras de Maras they are usually visited together.
- Ollantaytambo – The town and archaeological site of Ollantaytambo was one of the most important citadels of the Incas. It has buildings as impressive as those of Machu Picchu. The town preserves the urban organization of the Incas. Today, it is a very visited place due to its proximity to Machu Picchu.
How to visit the Sacred Valley of the Incas?
- There are tours to the different tourist attractions of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. These can be purchased online or directly in the city of Cusco, through a tourism agency. Tours include: transportation, tickets, tour guide and lunch.
- To visit the Sacred Valley of the Incas on your own, you must purchase the Cusco Tourist Ticket . This ticket includes admission to: Pisac, Chinchero, Maras, Ollantaytambo and other tourist attractions.
More information about the Sacred Valley of the Incas
- The Sacred Valley of the Incas has the ideal geography for adventure sports such as: paragliding, zipline (canopy), boating, mountain biking , etc.
- Due to its location, most of the Sacred Valley has a pleasant climate for the visitor. It also has restaurants, hotels, cafes, bars and other tourist services of great quality. In addition, it is a must-see place before arriving in Machu Picchu.
- Most tourists choose to visit the Sacred Valley with a 1-day tour that includes: Pisac, Urubamba, Ollantaytambo and Chinchero . If the tourist decides to go on their own, they should buy the Cusco Tourist Ticket (Circuit 3), which includes the income to: Ollantaytambo, Pisac, Chinchero and Moray.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 17, 2019