Train to Machu Picchu Definitive Guide
There are 3 ways to get to Machu Picchu: through the Inca Trail, with the long route through Hidroeléctrica and by train. If you are not one of the people who enjoy outdoor hiking, you should choose the train ride. The train to Machu Picchu is a beautiful journey through the Sacred Valley of the Incas to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo), at the foot of the Wonder of the World.
- How to get to Machu Picchu by train?
- Train travel map
- The reservation of train tickets
- Peru Rail or Inca Rail – Which one to choose to travel by train to Machu Picchu?
- Where to board the trains to Machu Picchu?
- How long does it take to travel by train to Machu Picchu?
- This is the train trip to Machu Picchu
- What are the train schedules to Machu Picchu?
- How much does the train to Machu Picchu cost?
- Discounts for the train ticket to Machu Picchu
- How is the train trip to Machu Picchu?
- Conditions to board the train to Machu Picchu
How to get to Machu Picchu by train?
- To get to Machu Picchu by train you must book tickets online in advance. It is recommended to do it immediately after knowing the date of visit to the Wonder of the World.
- Once in the city of Cusco (Peru), the visitor should approach the chosen train station (station Poroy, Urubamba or Ollantaytambo). It is advised to be 30 minutes before the scheduled travel time.
- All the train services have as final destination, the town of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo). From there you only have to board one of the buses that take you to the Machu Picchu gate in about 30 minutes.
Train travel map
The reservation of train tickets
- To book train tickets you must enter the website of the only 2 companies that provide the service: Peru Rail or Inca Rail.
- It is important to make the reservation as soon as you know the date of entry to Machu Picchu. The tickets are as much in demand as the tickets to the Wonder of the World.
Peru Rail or Inca Rail – Which one to choose to travel by train to Machu Picchu?
- There are two companies with authorization to travel the train tracks to Machu Picchu.
- Peru Rail has 4 different quality services: Vistadome trains, Expedition, Sacred Valley and the Hiram Bingham luxury train.
- Inca Rail has 4 different services: The Voyager, The 360º, The First Class and The Private.
- Both train companies have adequate services for tourists. Below we detail what each of them includes.
Peru Rail is the oldest company, authorized to operate the Machu Picchu route, it has different services. His website is www.perurail.com.
- Vistadome: It is a train with wide wagons, with panoramic windows in the roof and the sides that will allow you to take photographs of the entire route through the valley.
- Expedition: The Expedition has wagons totally covered by panoramic windows and service on board, snacks and Peruvian food.
- Sacred Valley: This train links Urubamba with Machu Picchu on a luxurious journey through the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Includes lunch (or dinner) in the observatory car or the dining car.
- Belmond Hiram Bingham: It is one of the most luxurious trains in the world, exclusive and with service on board. It has 4 choches, dining car, car bar, gourmet dinner, transportation and tickets Machu Picchu.
Peru Rail train heading to Machu Picchu
Inca Rail is a Peruvian company that offers rail transportation services from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu. Its website is www.incarail.com.
- The Voyager: The cars have comfortable seats, folding tables and panoramic windows. Set with Latin American music. There is on-board service and a selection of drinks made with Andean fruits and herbs.
- The 360º: They have large panoramic windows, set with Latin American music, on-board service, with a selection of hot and cold beverages, as well as selling handcrafted products on board.
- The First Class: It has ambient music, natural flowers and covered tables. You will be served a welcome cocktail, lunch and / or gourmet dinner. Serves only in high tourist season (from April to October) and special dates.
- The Private: With capacity for 8 people. The car, known as the ‘Princess Inca’ is of the presidential class. The car has many details in its decoration, food on board, free bar. This train operates only by request.
Train service of Inca Rail
Where to board the trains to Machu Picchu?
- There are 3 boarding stations for the one-way trains. There is only one station to board the return train.
One way trains:
- Ollantaytambo station: Av. Ferrocarril s/n, Ollantaytambo, Valle Sagrado (Cusco).
- Poroy Station: Roldan Street s / n, District of Poroy, Cusco.
- Urubamba station: Av. Ferrocarril s/n, Urubamba, Valle Sagrado (Cusco).
Return train stations:
- Aguas Calientes Station: Machu Picchu Pueblo, s / n, Las Orquídeas Neighborhood (next to the Artisan Market of Aguas Calientes).
- In most cases, you will board your train to Machu Picchu at the Ollantaytambo station. The Poroy station is restricted for safety during the rainy season (November to March).
- The place where all the trains arrive is the station of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu pueblo). One block from the train station you can board the buses to Machu Picchu. They leave every 15 minutes and the box office is right in front.
How long does it take to travel by train to Machu Picchu?
The duration of the train trip (one way) depends on the station where the train is approached:
- From Poroy station (Cusco): The trip takes 3 hours and 15 minutes approximately.
- From the Urubamba station: The trip lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes, approximately.
- From the Ollantaytambo station: The trip lasts a little less than 2 hours.
This is the train trip to Machu Picchu
The train trip is the way in which more tourists arrive at Machu Picchu. There are different types of services whose costs vary according to the best quality of service. The most popular are the Expedition and the Vistadome that offer onboard service and even shows.
What are the train schedules to Machu Picchu?
Train schedules are fixed and punctual. Most services depart from the ‘Ollantaytambo’ station.
Peru Rail train schedules:
Train times ‘Vistadome’ (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes):
Departure Time Arrival Time 7.05 a.m. 8.27 a.m. 8 a.m. 9.25 a.m. 8.53 a.m. 10.29 a.m. 9.15 a.m. 10.52 a.m. 10.32 a.m. 12.11 p.m. 1.27 p.m. 2.50 p.m. 3.37 p.m. 5.02 p.m. 7.35 a.m. (Poroy – Cusco) 10.52 p.m. 8.25 a.m. (Poroy – Cusco) 12.11 p.m.
Train timetable ‘Expedition’ (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes):
Departure Time Arrival Time 6.10 a.m. 7.40 a.m. 7.45 a.m. 9.15 a.m. 8.29 a.m. 9.54 a.m. 12.55 p.m. 2.25 p.m. 7 p.m. 8.45 p.m. 1.27 p.m. 2.50 p.m. 9 p.m. 10.45 p.m. 6.40 a.m. (Poroy – Cusco) 9.54 a.m.
Train schedule ‘Sacred Valley’ (Urubamba – Aguas Calientes):
Departure Time Arrival Time 10:30 a.m. 1:34 p.m.
Train times ‘Hiram Bingham’ (Poroy (Cusco) – Aguas Calientes)
Departure Time Arrival Time 9.05 a.m. 12:24 p.m.
Inca Rail train schedules:
Train times ‘Voyager’ (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes):
Departure Time Arrival Time 6.40 a.m. 8.01 a.m. 11.15 a.m. 12.45 p.m. 11.30 a.m. 1.06 p.m. 4.36 p.m. 6.09 p.m. 7.27 p.m. 9.09 p.m.
Train timetable ‘The 360º’ (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes):
Departure Time Arrival Time 7.22 a.m. 8.48 a.m 12.36 p.m. 2 p.m. 5.55 a.m. (Poroy – Cusco) 8.48 a.m.
Train timetable ‘The First Class’ (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes):
Departure Time Arrival Time 11.15 a.m. 12.41 p.m. 9.28 a.m. (Poroy – Cusco) 12.41 p.m.
Train times ‘The Private’ (Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes):
Departure Time Arrival Time 6.40 a.m. 8.01 a.m. 11.15 a.m. 12.45 p.m. 4.36 p.m. 6.09 p.m.
How much does the train to Machu Picchu cost?
- The prices of the trains depend on the type of service. The amount tends to increase the closer the date of the trip.
Prices of Peru Rail trains (round trip):
|How much does the train to Machu Picchu cost?|
|Train service ‘Peru Rail’||Price in dollars||Price in soles|
|Train ‘Expedition’||$ 140||S/. 459|
|Train ‘Vistadome’||$ 190||S/. 623|
|Luxury train ‘Hiram Bingham’*||$ 950||S/. 3115|
|Local train (only for Peruvians)||$ 6||S/. 20|
Prices of Inca Rail trains (round trip):
|How much does the train to Machu Picchu cost?|
|Train service||Price in dollars||Price in soles|
|The Voyager||$ 140||S/. 459|
|Tren ‘Vistadome’||$ 150||S/. 491|
|Luxury train ‘Hiram Bingham’*||$ 398||S/. 1305|
Discounts for the train ticket to Machu Picchu
The train ticket to Machu Picchu has discounts for children under 3 years.
- Peru Rail offers free admission to children under 3 years of age. They must travel charged by their parents.
- Inca Rail also allows free entry for children from 0 to 2 years of age traveling in the parent’s or guardian’s seat.
- Peru Rail offers a 50% discount to children under 12 years old.
- Inca Rail also has a 50% discount for children from 3 to 12 years old.
How is the train trip to Machu Picchu?
- The distance from Poroy station (Cusco) to Aguas Calientes is approximately 65.8 kilometers. The route crosses the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. The trip takes 3 hours and 15 minutes approximately.
- The distance from Urubamba to Aguas Calientes is 47.6 kilometers. The route is parallel to the Vilcanota River and the mountains. The trip lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes, approximately.
- The distance from the Ollantaytambo station to Aguas Calientes is approximately 30.5 kilometers. The train runs through the beautiful and green Sacred Valley of the Incas along the banks of the Urubamba River. The trip lasts a little less than 2 hours.
Conditions to board the train to Machu Picchu
You must follow the following instructions to board the train to Machu Picchu without complications:
- When boarding the train, you must show your travel ticket and your identity document or passport.
- The railway company will check your ticket before and during the trip.
- If you can not prove that you own the ticket, you will be prevented from boarding the train, with no option to claim.
- They will not let you board the train if your health condition is delicate. So also women in a state of gestation greater than or equal to seven months.
- They will prevent you from boarding the train if you are in an obvious state of drunkenness or under the influence of other substances.
- Young children must be accompanied by their parents or legal guardians.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, May 13, 2021