The simplest, fastest and most comfortable way to get to Machu Picchu is through the train journey. Every day more than 2,000 people choose to travel this way. The other option is the Inca Trail, a 4-day hike along the ancient Inca trails.
- What does it take to get to Machu Picchu by train?
- What does it take to get the ticket to Machu Picchu by train?
- What are the points of sale of the train to Machu Picchu?
- What does it take to go from Cusco to Ollantaytambo?
- How long is the train trip to Machu Picchu?
- What are the train companies to Machu Picchu?
- How is the train journey to Machu Picchu?
- Recommendations to go to Machu Picchu by train
To go to Machu Picchu by train, follow these steps: a) Buy your train ticket. b) Travel by bus from Cusco to Ollantaytambo. c) Travel by train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes and d) Travel by bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
What does it take to get to Machu Picchu by train?
- The first thing you should do is book train tickets. It is recommended to do so as soon as you know the date on which you will enter Machu Picchu.
- With the train ticket in hand, the visitor must travel to the chosen station. Most tourists choose Ollantaytambo station because it is the one with the most frequent departures.
- Finally, you must show the train ticket and travel to the final station of the town of Aguas Calientes, at the foot of the mountain where Machu Picchu is located.
- If you travel to the Inca City with a tour, check if the service includes the train trip to Machu Picchu. Most tours include train tickets.
The train will allow you to reach Machu Picchu quickly and with a view of beautiful landscapes
What does it take to get the ticket to Machu Picchu by train?
Anyone can buy their train ticket to Machu Picchu online or in person in Cusco.
To buy the train ticket online:
- Enter the website of the only two companies that offer the train ticket to Machu Picchu: Peru Rail or Inca Rail.
- Record the day of your visit as well as the type of train service you prefer.
- Make the payment of the train ticket by credit or debit card.
- Print your train ticket and show it along with your passport (or identity document) on the day of the trip.
To buy the train ticket in person:
- Approach the ticket offices enabled at the train stations in Cusco, Peru.
- Make the purchase of your train ticket showing your valid identity document or passport.
- Show the train ticket next to your identity document or passport for the day of the trip.
What are the points of sale of the train to Machu Picchu?
Peru Rail points of sale:
- Velasco Astete Avenue S / N, Wanchaq, Cusco. (At the Cusco airport).
- Meat Portal 214, Historic Center of Cusco (In the Plaza de Armas of Cusco).
- Pachacutec Avenue S / N, Wanchaq District (At Wanchaq train station).
- Roldán Street S / N, Poroy District (At the Poroy train station).
- Avenida Ferrocarril S / N, Ollantaytambo (At Ollantaytambo train station).
- Barrio Las Orquídeas S / N, Aguas Calientes (At Machu Picchu train station).
Inca Rail points of sale:
- Portal de Panes Street 105, Historic Center of Cusco (In the Plaza de Armas of Cusco).
- Cascaparo Avenue S / N, San Pedro (San Pedro train station).
- Avenida Ferrocarril S / N, Ollantaytambo (At the Ollantaytambo train station).
- Barrio Las Orquídeas S / N, Aguas Calientes (At Machu Picchu train station).
What does it take to go from Cusco to Ollantaytambo?
- Most tourists board their train at Ollantaytambo station (located 73 kilometers from the city of Cusco, approximately).
- To go from Cusco to Ollantaytambo it is necessary to take one of the public transports located in Pavitos street, in the Historic Center of the city.
- The cost of the public transport service is 15 Peruvian soles (approximately 5 US dollars).
- The other option is to choose the bimodal service of the trains to Machu Picchu. These services include transportation from Cusco to Ollantaytambo as well as the transfer to the train.
How long is the train trip to Machu Picchu?
The time of the train journey to Machu Picchu depends on the station where the train is boarding. Most tourists choose to depart from Ollantaytambo station.
- From San Pedro station (Cusco) – approximately 4 hours.
- From Poroy station – 3 hours 30 minutes approximately.
- From Urubamba station – 2 hours 30 minutes approximately.
- From Ollantaytambo station – approximately 2 hours.
What are the train companies to Machu Picchu?
There are only 2 companies that offer the train trip to Machu Picchu: Peru Rail and Inca Rail. Each company offers 4 different types of tourist services.
Peru Rail trains:
- Expedition – Service that includes comfortable seats, large windows and tables. There is preferential attention as well as sales service on board.
- Vistadome – Service that includes panoramic windows, comfortable seats and tables. It also includes on board service, snacks and complimentary drinks as well as music show and fashion show.
- Sacred Valley – Service that includes comfortable seating, panoramic windows and tables. It also offers a bar-observatory car, dining car, gourmet lunch, snacks, drinks and more.
- Hiram Bingham – Luxury service that includes comfortable seating, large windows, tables as well as gourmet lunch, open bar, observatory car, bus ticket, tour guide and entrance to Machu Picchu.
Inca Rail trains:
- The Voyager – Service that includes comfortable seats, large windows and tables as well as service on board and sale of products and drinks.
- The 360º – Service that includes panoramic windows, comfortable seats and tables. The trip offers an observatory car – bar, cold drinks and gourmet snacks.
- The First Class – Service that includes comfortable seating, tables and panoramic windows. It also includes a car bar, balcony car, gourmet menu, live music show, snacks and complimentary drinks.
- The Private – Luxury service that includes welcome champagne, gourmet menu, car bar with open bar as well as live music show and private bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
How is the train journey to Machu Picchu?
- The train trip to Machu Picchu is one of the most incredible railway routes on the planet.
- It crosses the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. It is considered one of the paths that best landscapes travel.
- All train services are tourist, so they offer comfortable seating, tables, large windows as well as attention on board.
- The train ride is safe and comfortable.
Recommendations to go to Machu Picchu by train
- Buy your train tickets the same day you know your date of visit to Machu Picchu. The sooner you do it, the safer your visit to the Inca city will be.
- The day of your trip to Machu Picchu, do not forget to carry your travel ticket as well as your identity document or passport. You must show these documents during boarding the train.
- The Vistadome train of Peru Rail is a tourist service that has panoramic windows that will allow you to enjoy the incredible landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. The train also has complimentary snacks and drinks as well as a live music show.
- If you do not book train tickets in advance, you will have to choose between the remaining services, which are usually the most expensive.
- Once at the station, if time and schedule permit, we recommend visiting the Inca ruins of Ollantaytambo.
- Right next to the Aguas Calientes train station, you will find the bus ticket office to Machu Picchu. The town is small and it will not be difficult to find these places.
In several of the train services to Machu Picchu, you can enjoy a traditional show
Advice from people who have been there
“Absolutely everything that is said about Machu Picchu is true, it is magical, fantastic and you can feel its atmosphere charged with positive energy. We saw the sacred city of the Incas from the Huayna Picchu mountain, and it was amazing !!! We had a view and a feeling that I will never forget.“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 17, 2019