Peru Rail and Inca Rail are the only two train companies that lead to Machu Picchu. Both offer good quality tourist services. Both have stations in the main points of Cusco. Both offer online ticket sales. Learn more about these companies and decide with which train to go to the Inca city.
- What is Peru Rail and what services does it offer?
- What is Inca Rail and what services does it offer?
- Which one to choose Peru Rail or Inca Rail?
- Advantages of Peru Rail
- Inca Rail Advantages
- Peru Rail Offices
- Inca Rail Offices
- More information about Peru Rail
- More information about Inca Rail
- Questions and answers about Peru Rail and Inca Rail
Peru Rail offers more daily departures to Machu Picchu compared to Inca Rail. However, both include high quality tourist services. The majority of daily departures in both cases is at Ollantaytambo station. The ‘Expedition’ and ‘The Voyager’ services are the cheapest services of both companies.
What is Peru Rail and what services does it offer?
- Peru Rail is the oldest company that offers the transfer by train to Machu Picchu (operates from 1999 to date).
- It also offers routes from Cusco to Puno or Arequipa (and vice versa) .
- The tourist services from Cusco to Machu Picchu that they offer are: Expedition, Vistadome, Sacred Valley and the luxury train Hiram Bingham.
- The tourist services offered to Puno are: Belmond Andean Explorer and the Peru Rail Titicaca.
- The tourist service to Arequipa is the Belmond Andean Explorer.
- Peru Rail has departures from up to 6 stations: San Pedro (Cusco), Poroy (Cusco), Urubamba (Sacred Valley), Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley), Hydroelectric (La Convention) and Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu).
Train Service in Aguas Calientes
What is Inca Rail and what services does it offer?
- Inca Rail is the new company that offers the transfer by train to Machu Picchu (it started operating from 2007 and continues until now).
- It offers up to 4 train services to Machu Picchu: The Voyager, The 360º, The First Class and the exclusive ‘The Private’ train.
- Currently, Inca Rail does not offer routes to Puno, Arequipa or any route other than Cusco – Machu Picchu .
- Inca Rail has departures at 4 stations: San Pedro (Cusco), Poroy (Cusco), Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley) and Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu).
Which one to choose Peru Rail or Inca Rail?
- Both Peru Rail and Inca Rail are good options for the trip to Machu Picchu.
- Both companies offer good quality tourist services.
- The prices of each of its services are similar. In addition, both offer discounts for children (50% discount up to 12 years).
- Peru Rail is the most used because it has a greater number of daily departures.
- Both companies have 4 types of services with similar prices. For example, the ‘Expedition’ and the ‘The Voyager’ have the same cost . Likewise, both companies offer luxury trains such as the Hiram Bingham (Peru Rail) and the ‘The Private’ (Inca Rail).
Advantages of Peru Rail
- Peru Rail is the only company that offers the local train service to Machu Picchu for Peruvians. The cost of this service is 20 Peruvian soles (7 US dollars) round trip. The service is not allowed for foreign tourists.
- It is also the only company that offers train service from the Hydroelectric station. This is one of the cheapest services to Machu Picchu.
- Peru Rail is famous for including one of the most luxurious train services in the world. This is the Hiram Bingham train, which includes gourmet menu, open bar, ticket to Machu Picchu, tour guide and much more.
- It is the only company that offers tourist trips to Puno and Arequipa with all the necessary amenities .
- Peru Rail offers packages that combine round-trip services to meet the schedules and expectations of visitors.
- It has an interactive and easy to use web page. Most tourists buy their tickets there.
Inca Rail Advantages
- Inca Rail is the only company that offers the option of accumulating ‘Latam Pass’ miles for the purchase of a ticket.
- It is the only company that offers the ‘Bimodal’ option that includes a bus and train trip in a single ticket .
- It offers one of the most exclusive services in the world. This is the ‘The Private’ train, which includes complimentary champagne, gourmet menu, private bus to Machu Picchu, live music show, open bar as well as all the comforts on board.
- Ollantaytambo train station of Inca Rail has a waiting room with coffee service, music and free Wi-Fi.
- Inca Rail has an interactive and easy-to-use web page. There you can make the purchase of the ticket by paying by credit or debit card.
Peru Rail Offices
Peru Rail offers the sale of its tickets in all its stations as well as in its stores in Lima.
- Av. Malecon de la Reserva 610, Stand 214 – Gourmet Plaza (Larcomar).
- Av. Elmer Faucett s / n, National departures 2nd. floor (Jorge Chavez Airport).
- Av. Velasco Astete s / n, Wanchaq District (Alejandro Velasco Astete Airport).
- Meat Portal 214, Plaza de Armas of Cusco.
- Plaza Regocijo 202, Plaza Regocijo of Cusco.
- Av. El Sol 409, Cusco.
- Av. La Torre 224, Puno (Puno Station).
In the train stations:
- Av. Pachacuteq s / n, Wanchaq District (Wanchaq Station).
- Roldán Street s / n, Poroy District (Poroy Station).
- Av. Ferrocarril s / n, Urubamba, Sacred Valley (Urubamba Station).
- Av. Ferrocarril s / n, Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo Station).
- Machu Picchu town s / n, Barrio Las Orquídeas (Aguas Calientes Station).
- Cascaparo Street s / n, Cusco (San Pedro Station).
- Railway Line Kilometer 122, Hydroelectric (Hydroelectric Station).
Inca Rail Offices
Inca Rail offers the sale of tickets in all its stations in Cusco.
- Portal de Panes Street 105, Plaza de Armas of Cusco.
- 843 El Sol Avenue, Cusco.
- Cascaparo Avenue S / N, San Pedro, Cusco (San Pedro Station).
- Velasco Astete Avenue s / n, Wanchaq District (Alejandro Velasco Astete Airport).
- Avenida Ferrocarril s / n, Ollantaytambo (Ollantaytambo train station).
- Machu Picchu town s / n, Barrio Las Orquídeas (Aguas Calientes Station).
More information about Peru Rail
- Peru Rail has a greater number of daily departures to Machu Picchu from all its stations (more than 23 daily departures).
- The most economical service that Peru Rail offers for foreign tourists is the ‘Expedition’. The approximate cost of this service (one way trip) is 63 US dollars.
- The most expensive service to Machu Picchu is the Hiram Bingham . The approximate cost of the one-way trip is 482 US dollars.
- Peru Rail offers discounts for children under 12 years. Babies (under 3 years old) travel free in the same seat of the father or mother.
- During the rainy season (from January to April) the stations of Cusco and Poroy remain closed for tourists’ safety.
More information about Inca Rail
- Inca Rail has up to 12 train departures every day. Most depart from Ollantaytambo station, in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- The ‘Bimodal’ service consists of a first bus trip from the city of Cusco to the town of Ollantaytambo. There the train is approached to the final station of Aguas Calientes.
- The most expensive service offered by Inca Rail is ‘The Private’, which has departures only at the request of the tourist who wishes to hire it. The train can accommodate up to 8 tourists on board.
- The cheapest service is the ‘Voyager’. The approximate cost of this train is 63 US dollars on the outbound trip .
- Inca Rail also has discounts for children up to 11 years. Babies under 3 also enter for free.
- In the rainiest months (January, February, March and April), the Cusco and Poroy stations are closed for maintenance. The only station that continues to operate is Ollantaytambo and Aguas Calientes.
Questions and answers about Peru Rail and Inca Rail
1) Which is better? Peru Rail or Inca Rail?
Both companies offer similar services at similar prices. Peru Rail has more daily departures. Inca Rail is characterized by offering the ‘bimodal’ service from the city of Cusco.
2) What is the cheapest Peru Rail train?
The cheapest tourist service of Peru Rail is the Expedition train. This company also offers the local train for Peruvians that costs only 12 soles per section.
3) What is the most expensive Inca Rail train?
The Private service is Inca Rail’s most luxurious and expensive train. This service, as its name indicates, is carried out privately for a tourist and his companions. The train has an observatory car, bar, gourmet menu, live music, welcome champagne and a private bus to Machu Picchu.
4) What is the most expensive Peru Rail train?
The Hiram Bingham service is Peru Rail’s most luxurious and expensive train. This service includes a bar car, a restaurant car and an observatory car. It also offers a dance show, gourmet lunch, live music as well as a bus, tour guide and entrance to Machu Picchu.
5) Where to buy Peru Rail tickets?
Peru Rail train tickets can be purchased at the offices of: Lima, Puno and Cusco. In the latter city it is present in all its train stations as well as in the Plaza de Armas and the city’s airport.
6) Where to buy Inca Rail tickets?
Inca Rail train tickets can be purchased at the offices of: the Plaza de Armas of Cusco, El Sol avenue, Cascaparo avenue, the Cusco airport as well as at the Ollantaytambo and Aguas Calientes stations.
7) Which train includes a dance show?
The Vistadome train service includes a typical dance show on board for the return train. The Hiram Bingham train service also includes a dance performance at the train station. Both services belong to Peru Rail.
8) Which train is better? Expedition or Vistadome?
Peru Rail’s Expedition and Vistadome trains offer similar services. The Expedition includes all the comfort on board. The Vistadome adds complimentary snacks as well as a dance show on the return train.
9) How much does the Hiram Bingham train cost?
Peru Rail’s Hiram Bingham train service costs US$480 per section.
10) What is the local train? What company does it belong to?
The local train is a service that Peru Rail offers for citizens who daily travel the Cusco – Machu Picchu route and vice versa. Peruvians can also use this train whose cost is 12 soles per section.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, May 31, 2022