Do you already have the Machu Picchu tickets? Know that once in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu pueblo), there is still a stretch before reaching the ‘Lost City of the Incas’. This short route can be done by bus or walking. The fastest and most convenient way is bus travel.
Here’s how to buy Aguas Calientes bus tickets to Machu Picchu.
- Bus tickets to Machu Picchu
- The trip by bus to Machu Picchu
- Frequently asked questions about the bus to Machu Picchu
- Important information about buses to Machu Picchu
Bus Consettur from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
Bus tickets to Machu Picchu
How to buy bus tickets to Machu Picchu?
The purchase of the bus ticket can be done in person or online.
If you decide to do it in person, you must pay the amount and present your passport or identity document.
If you decide to do it online, you just have to fill out the booking form on the website and make the payment by credit or debit card.
Where to buy the bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu?
The purchase of the bus ticket in person is in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo). You can buy bus tickets at the following address:
- Av. Hermanos Ayar S / N, before Puente Ruinas.
Tickets do not need to be previously reserved. The ticket office attends at the following times:
- From Monday to Sunday from 5 am to 9 pm
At the entrance door to the Inca City you will find another ticket office in case you want to walk up and get off by bus.
Bus tickets can be purchased in person or online.
Are there other places to buy bus tickets?
During the high season of tourism (June, July and August) people usually make long lines in Aguas Calientes to buy bus tickets.
In addition there are other places where you can buy them at the following times:
- Av. Infancia 433 – Wanchaq – From 8 am – 1 pm and from 3 pm to 6 pm
- Av. El Sol 380 – Banco Interbank – From 9 am – 6 pm
How much do bus tickets to Machu Picchu cost?
Below we show the current rates of buses to Machu Picchu.
Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
- 24.00 USD$
- 12.00 USD$
- 12.00 USD$
- 7.00 USD$
- 15.00 USD$
- 8.00 USD$
- 10.00 USD$
- 6.00 USD$
- 8.00 USD$
- 5.00 USD$
- PEN S/. 12.00
- PEN S/. 19.00
- PEN S/. 8.00
What are the bus departure times to Machu Picchu?
The buses depart every 10 minutes towards Machu Picchu.
In the morning hours long queues are formed to board the buses so the vehicles leave every 5 minutes.
The trip by bus to Machu Picchu
Where to take the bus to Machu Picchu?
The buses leave the town of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town). The habitual whereabouts is located in the avenue ‘Hermanos Ayar’, a few meters from the train station.
The buses arrive at the entrance gate to Machu Picchu. From there, take the return bus to the town of Aguas Calientes.
The town of Aguas Calientes, known as Machu Picchu Pueblo, is a small but tourist place at the foot of the Wonder of the World.
How is the bus trip to Machu Picchu?
The trip by bus to Machu Picchu lasts approximately 30 minutes.
The stretch of Ida is ascending the slopes of a steep mountain. At the highest point is the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu.
The return is by the same path. The stretch lasts approximately 25 minutes. The trip is in descent. Some people decide to ascend by bus and return on foot.
Is the bus trip to Machu Picchu dangerous?
The trip by bus is not dangerous. Only the tour buses cross the Hiram Bingham road that leads to Machu Picchu. These buses are ecological, modern and in constant review.
Frequently asked questions about the bus to Machu Picchu
What time does the first bus leave for Machu Picchu?
The first bus to Machu Picchu leaves at 5.30 am from the town of Aguas Calientes. The frequency of buses at this time is 5 minutes. The last bus leaves at 3.30 p.m.
Is there a bus from Lima to Machu Picchu?
Lima (capital of Peru) is at a distance of 503 kilometers from Machu Picchu. There is no bus that takes you directly to both places.
This is how you get from Lima to Machu Picchu:
- Travel by plane or bus from Lima to Cusco.
- Travel by minivan from Cusco to Ollantaytambo.
- Travel by train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes.
- Travel by bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
Is there a bus from Cusco to Machu Picchu?
There is no bus that directly connects Cusco with Machu Picchu.
There are 3 routes to get from Cusco to Machu Picchu:
- Route by train from Cusco to Machu Picchu.
- The Inca Trail
- Route to Machu Picchu by Hydroelectric.
Bus or hike to Machu Picchu?
From the town of Aguas Calientes you can go up to Machu Picchu by bus or on foot.
It is recommended to get on bus in the following cases:
- If you chose to ascend the mountain Huayna Picchu.
- If you chose to climb the Machu Picchu mountain.
- If you chose to do the walk to Intipunku (Puerta del Sol).
It is recommended to climb on foot in the following cases:
- If you are in good physical condition and chose to take the guided tour of Machu Picchu.
People who want a bit of adventure in Machu Picchu can choose to get on bus and descend on foot on the way back to Aguas Calientes.
How long is the bus ticket to Machu Picchu valid?
Bus tickets to Machu Picchu have a validity of 3 days.
Important information about buses to Machu Picchu
- There is no fixed schedule on the bus ticket. The vehicles start every 5 or 10 minutes. The visitor can take any of them.
- Tickets don’t run out. You can buy one during the visit to Cusco.
- In case of having some of the Machu Picchu tickets that include the mountains, it is recommended to get on bus.
- The ascent by bus to Machu Picchu will depend on the time you chose to enter the Inca City (morning shift or afternoon shift).
- The buses to Machu Picchu are ecological, have air conditioning and are the only authorized vehicles to travel the Hiram Bingham road.
- Bus tickets are as important as train tickets.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 26, 2018