The train trip is as important as the visit to Machu Picchu. In addition, this trip is considered one of the best train routes in the world. Walk the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas until arriving at Aguas Calientes station (Machu Picchu village).
Below is the list of frequently asked questions about trains to Machu Picchu.
- What is the train route to Machu Picchu?
- How many types of trains are there?
- Where to take the train to Machu Picchu?
- What are the train schedules?
- Where to buy the train ticket?
- How to buy train tickets online?
- Is there a sale of tickets for foreigners and Peruvians?
- Do the train stations work all year?
- Do children or infants pay for the train ticket?
- What do train tickets include?
- How much luggage can I take on the train?
- What services does the San Pedro station offer?
- What is the most used train station?
- How long is the train journey from Ollantaytambo station to Machu Picchu?
- Does the train leave me in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) or at the entrance to Machu Picchu?
- What is the Hydroelectric station?
- How long before I should be at the train station?
- How long does it take to get from Cusco to the Ollantaytambo train station?
- Does any train allow stops for passengers who make the Inca Trail?
- Do any train services include the entrance to the Machu Picchu citadel and / or the bus up and down?
- If I do not arrive at the station on time, can I use the train ticket for another time?
- How far in advance should I buy my train ticket in high season?
- What happens if I lose my train ticket?
- Can I make changes to the train ticket already purchased?
- If I want to cancel my train tickets, how far in advance should I do it?
- What about the train service in case of emergencies?
The train trip is the safest and fastest way to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco. However, it is also possible to arrive by the Inca Trail (4-day trekking route) or by the alternative hydroelectric route (approximately 7-hour trip).
What is the train route to Machu Picchu?
- The train journey starts at one of the Cusco stations: San Pedro, Poroy, Urubamba or Ollantaytambo . Walk through the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley until ending at the Aguas Calientes station, also known as Machu Picchu town. In total the trip takes between 2 or 3 hours.
Poroy Station, train departure to Machu Picchu
How many types of trains are there?
There are two companies, which offer different types of trains to Machu Picchu:
- Peru Rail : Expedition, Vistadome, Sacred Valley and Hiram Bingham.
- Inca Rail : Voyager, 360º, First Class and The Private.
Where to take the train to Machu Picchu?
You can take the train to Machu Picchu in one of the 4 available stations:
- San Pedro : station located 1 kilometer from the Plaza de Armas of Cusco. 2 train services depart daily.
- Poroy : station located 13 kilometers from the city of Cusco. 4 train services depart daily.
- Urubamba : station located 52 kilometers from the city of Cusco. Only 2 train services depart daily.
- Ollantaytambo : station located 72 kilometers from the city of Cusco. 16 train services depart daily. It is the station most used by tourists.
What are the train schedules?
- Train schedules depend on the type of company (Peru Rail or Inca Rail) as well as the chosen station (San Pedro, Poroy, Urubamba or Ollantaytambo).
- Check the train schedules to Machu Picchu
Where to buy train tickets?
- You can buy train tickets online (on the Peru Rail or Inca Rail websites) or in person at the authorized offices.
Authorized offices of Peru Rail:
- In Lima : Malecón de la Reserva 610 (Larcomar Shopping Center in Miraflores).
- In Cusco : Meat Portal 214 (Plaza de Armas of the city of Cusco).
- In Cusco : Avenida Pachacutec s / n (District of Wanchaq).
Authorized offices of Inca Rail:
- In Lima : Avenida Pérez Aranibar 1874 (San Isidro).
- In Cusco : Calle Portal de Panes 105 (Plaza de Armas of the city of Cusco).
How to buy train tickets online?
To buy train tickets online you must follow the following steps:
- Enter the website of Peru Rail or Inca Rail.
- Choose the type of train, the date and the time of the trip.
- Complete the personal data of each holder of the train ticket.
- Make the payment with credit or debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc.).
- Print the tickets or pick them up once in Cusco.
Incredible view from the Vistadome train
Is there a sale of tickets for foreigners and Peruvians?
- All people of all nationalities can hire the services of Hiram Bingham train, Vistadome, Expedition in Peru Rail or any of the Inca Rail services (Voyager, 360º, First Class and The Private).
- However, there is a local train to Machu Picchu that is exclusive for people from the department of Cusco and Peruvians , which can not be approached by foreigners.
Do children or infants pay for the train ticket?
- Infants of 0 and 2 years old do not need a train ticket and must be seated on their parents.
- However, if you decide that your children will be seated, you can pay the fare of a child between 3 and 11 years old which is 50% of the price of the ticket.
Do the train stations work all year?
Train stations operate at a certain time of the year, depending on the station chosen.
- The Ollantaytambo station operates all year round.
- The Urubamba station operates all year round.
- Poroy station only works from April to December.
What do train tickets include?
- Train tickets include round trip or both.
- The services on board are different for each type of service and you can check them on the websites of the train companies to Machu Picchu (Peru Rail or Inca Rail).
How much luggage can I take on the train?
- Only one handbag or backpack with the same measures allowed in the cabins of the aircraft is allowed: 8 kilos (11 pounds) maximum.
- Dimensions: 50 centimeters long by 40 centimeters wide and 25 centimeters high.
What services does the San Pedro station offer?
- San Pedro station offers 2 types of ‘Vistadome’ train services per day. The first part at 6.40 am and the second at 7.30 am The trip to the final station ‘Aguas Calientes’ takes approximately 3 hours 30 minutes.
What is the most used train station?
- Ollantaytambo station is the most used by tourists since it offers a greater number of departures and arrivals of trains.
- San Pedro, Poroy and Urubamba stations only offer 2 train departures a day, respectively.
How long is the train journey from Ollantaytambo station to Machu Picchu?
- The journey takes approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- The train ride through the Sacred Valley of the Incas is considered among the best short train routes in the world, so enjoy it.
Does the train leave me in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) or at the entrance to Machu Picchu?
- All trains to Machu Picchu end at the Aguas Calientes station; After arriving here you must board the buses until the entrance to Machu Picchu.
- The only train service that includes Machu Picchu tickets and bus tickets is the Belmond Hiram Bingham; depending on the services you want to include in your trip.
What is the Hydroelectric station?
- The Hidroeléctrica station is an alternative train station operated by Peru Rail, which connects the town of Aguas Calientes with the villages of the Cusco jungle: Santa Teresa, Santa María, Quillabamba.
- The Hydroelectric station is used by young adventurers who want a cheaper way to get to Machu Picchu.
- The trip from Cusco to Machu Picchu by the Hydroelectric station takes about 7 hours. It is known as the alternative route through Santa María.
How long before I should be at the train station?
- Unless you need to get a copy of your lost ticket, in which case you will have to be at least 1 hour before; You can get to the train station 30 minutes before your train departs.
How long does it take to get from Cusco to the Ollantaytambo train station?
- It will take you about 1 hour and 30 minutes to get to Ollantaytambo . If you are coming on your own you must take the buses to Ollantaytambo, from the Pavitos street in the Historic Center.
- However, the best way to make a trip to Machu Picchu is on an organized tour, which includes transportation from Cusco to Ollantaytambo.
Does any train allow stops for passengers who make the Inca Trail?
- If possible. If you could get one of the precious income to the Inca Trail (6 months in advance), some trains will allow you to make a stop at the bus stop that leads to the Inca Trail.
- However, you must communicate your intention to stop to the company at the time of booking your train tickets and at least 2 weeks in advance.
Do any train services include the entrance to the Machu Picchu citadel and / or the bus up and down?
- The train service Belmond Hiram Bingham, in the only service that includes everything : travel by train, bus, entrance and guided in the citadel of Machu Picchu.
Luxury service on the Hiram Bingham train
If I do not arrive at the station on time, can I use the train ticket for another time?
- You will definitely not be able to use that train ticket if you do not arrive on time at the departure of the train at the time indicated on the ticket.
- If you do not arrive at the station on time you will not be able to use your ticket for another service or other schedule; You will not receive a refund of any kind either.
How far in advance should I buy my train ticket in high tourist season?
- The high season in Machu Picchu occurs in the months of June, July and August.
- If you want to get train tickets for these dates, like the Machu Picchu tickets; You must buy them 2 months in advance.
- However, the high season of trains is considered between April 1 and November 14 and from December 21 to 31.
What happens if I lose my train ticket?
- If you lose your train ticket the train company is not obliged to reimburse you.
- However, you can request a new ticket by paying a penalty.
- If you lost your train ticket you must request a new one at least one hour before the departure of the train, otherwise you will be considered absent (no show).
- The most advisable in case of loss is to request the ticket 24 hours before the departure of the train.
Can I make changes to the train ticket already purchased?
- If you purchased your train tickets you can request a change of schedule or service through the company’s email (Peru Rail or Inca Rail).
- To avoid setbacks attach the copy of your scanned receipt in the email.
- If you wish to reschedule your trip, you may do so up to 24 hours before the departure of your train; Your seat will be released and you can reschedule your trip.
- The reprogramming of train tickets is subject to a penalty of 10%.
- Keep in mind that you can change your train ticket for a ticket in a smaller service (for example from Vistadome to Expedition). However, there is no refund of money for the difference in price.
If I want to cancel my train tickets, how far in advance should I do it?
- If you pay for your tickets in cash, you can cancel your train ticket reservations up to 24 hours in advance; you can only do it in person, at the corresponding train stations, from 7 am to 5 pm; the return is immediate with the 10% surcharge.
- If you pay for your train tickets with a credit card or a bank deposit, you must request a refund of your money through an email (to Peru Rail or Inca Rail) with a maximum of 24 hours before the departure of the train. .
- The surcharge for this operation is 10%. The refund of the money that you paid for your ticket will be paid to your credit card or through the bank account with which you made the payment of your train tickets.
What about the train service in case of emergencies?
- Train services are available every day of the year except in cases of emergency such as: protests or natural disasters.
- In cases of emergency, the companies (Peru Rail or Inca Rail) offer the option of changing the time or date without any cost.
- In case the change of date or schedule does not satisfy the tourist, you can request the return of money at no cost.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, December 17, 2019