Many people seek to know the best tourist places in the world by making several short trips. The trend increased among people who do not have much time, as it allows them to visit many of the best destinations in the world during the year. One of these destinations is the Inca City of Machu Picchu in Cusco, Peru.
- How long does it take to get to Machu Picchu?
- How to make a quick trip to Machu Picchu?
- Day 1: tour to the Sacred Valley of the Incas
- Day 2: Machu Picchu tour
- How much does a 2-day trip to Machu Picchu cost?
- Where to sleep on the 2-day trip to Machu Picchu?
- What are the risks of a quick visit to Machu Picchu?
- Tips for a quick visit to Machu Picchu
Many people have now replaced long vacations to a single destination with short trips to multiple destinations. Machu Picchu, for example, is a great tourist attraction for a short 2-day trip.
How long does it take to get to Machu Picchu?
- Machu Picchu is located in the Andes Mountains of Cusco in Peru (South America).
- To get there, the visitor needs to take a flight to the city of Lima (capital of Peru). Then, you must take another flight to the city of Cusco.
- Once in the city of Cusco, the tourist is 74 kilometers from Machu Picchu. To get there you must take a train route through the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- The trip from Cusco to Machu Picchu by train takes approximately 4 hours.
Visiting Machu Picchu in two days
How to make a quick trip to Machu Picchu?
- The first thing to do is plan the day of your trip. Then you must buy the tour in advance. If you want to travel on your own, you must purchase the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu online as well as train tickets.
- The first destination will be the city of Cusco where tourists can visit the most popular tourist attractions such as: Sacsayhuaman, Coricancha, Maras, Moray or the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- On day 2 the trip to Machu Picchu is made for 1 full day (with tour or on your own). The trip starts very early and ends very late. The next day the tourist must return by plane to the city of Lima and, finally, to his country.
Day 1: tour to the Sacred Valley of the Incas
- The city of Lima receives direct flights from: Madrid, London, Paris, Barcelona, Mexico City, New York, Los Angeles, Orlando and all the countries of South America.
- Flights from Lima to Cusco depart several times a day. In Cusco you can take a walk through the Sacred Valley of the Incas and get to know Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Urubamba, Chinchero and more.
- Another option is to visit the tourist attractions of the city of Cusco: Sacsayhuaman, Koricancha, Plaza de Armas, the museums, etc.
- On day 1 the tourist can choose to spend the night in a hotel in Cusco, the Sacred Valley of the Incas or the town of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town).
Day 2: Machu Picchu tour
- The second day will be exclusive to know the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
- For this, the tourist must travel by train from Cusco or the Sacred Valley of the Incas. The train journey ends in the town of Aguas Calientes, at the foot of Machu Picchu.
- In Aguas Calientes you must take a bus (30-minute trip) to the entrance door to Machu Picchu.
- The tour of Machu Picchu is in the company of a tour guide (you can get one at the entrance door) and lasts a maximum of 4 hours.
- In Machu Picchu the visitor will appreciate the more than 150 buildings such as: the Temple of the Sun, the Intihuatana, the Temple of the Condor, the Main Square, etc.
- Once you return to the town of Aguas Calientes, you can take some time to eat something before starting the return to your hotel in the city of Cusco or the Sacred Valley.
How much does a 2-day trip to Machu Picchu cost?
- The budget depends on the type of experience you want in Machu Picchu: hotels, train, restaurants, etc.
The following is an average budget for the 2-day trip in Machu Picchu:
|Experience in Cusco and Machu Picchu||Price in American dollars|
|City Tour in Machu Picchu (Day 1)||65 USD|
|Lunch in restaurant (Day 1)||15 USD|
|1 night in Cusco hotel (Day 1)||60 USD|
|Travel by train to Machu Picchu (Day 2)||63 USD|
|Entrance to Machu Picchu (Day 2)||47 USD|
|Tour guide in Machu Picchu (Day 2)||10 USD|
|Lunch in Aguas Calientes (Day 2)||15 USD|
|Return by train to Cusco (Day 2)||63 USD|
|1 night hotel in Cusco (Day 2)||60 USD|
|Total cost||398 USD|
* Prices are referential.
On day 1 you can organize a tour to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. On day 2 you have to make the trip to Machu Picchu. Remember to buy your train tickets, hotel reservations, entrance to Machu Picchu and additional tours in advance.
Where to sleep on the 2-day trip to Machu Picchu?
- During the trip to Machu Picchu for 2 days, the visitor can spend the nights in the hotels of the city of Cusco, the town of Urubamba and the town of Aguas Calientes.
- There are 5 star hotels in Cusco, Urubamba and Aguas Calientes. It is also possible to get cheap accommodations.
- It is recommended to book hotel services online and in advance. So the visitor can get the rooms of their choice and at the best price.
What are the risks of a quick visit to Machu Picchu?
- There are some risks related to fast travel such as flight delays or itinerary disorder.
- On the 2-day trip to Machu Picchu you will sleep little. This excursion is not for all types of travelers. It is a maximized itinerary to make possible the visit to Machu Picchu in record time.
Tips for a quick visit to Machu Picchu
- If you do not want to travel with a tour, remember that admission tickets must be booked in advance. Tickets to Machu Picchu are in great demand.
- If you want to visit the mountain Huayna Picchu, you must book your ticket 3 months in advance. This occurs especially during the high tourist season (from April to October).
- Train tickets to Machu Picchu must also be purchased online in advance.
- If you want to visit Machu Picchu with a tour, it is recommended to purchase this service online in advance through the tourist agency of your choice.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, August 6, 2019