Machu Picchu is one of the great cultural icons of humanity. The State of Peru offers all university students, minors and citizens of the Andean Community of Nations (Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru) the opportunity to acquire the Machu Picchu ticket at a reduced rate.
- Learn about discounts for children, university students and more
- What documents are needed to visit Machu Picchu?
- The passport
- The identity document
- The current university card
- The immigration card
- The Andean Migration Card (TAM)
- The printed entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- More information about the documents to visit Machu Picchu
Is the ISIC card valid for entry to Machu Picchu?
The ISIC university card is no longer valid to buy the Machu Picchu ticket. Currently only the university card is valid to purchase a ticket with discounts. They are also not valid: certificate of studies, certificate of registration, library card, etc.
Learn about discounts for children, university students and more
When you buy your ticket to Machu Picchu, you have the option of accessing some of the discounts offered:
- Discounts for children – Minors (from 8 to 17 years old) access the discount. They should only buy their ticket with passport or identity document and enter accompanied by their father or mother. Remember that children under 8 do not pay .
- Discounts for university students – Undergraduate and under 25 university students access the discount. For this they must have their valid university card at the time of their visit.
- Discounts for the Andean Community – Citizens of the countries of the Andean Community of Nations (Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru) access the discount. For this they must have a passport, identity document or immigration card, which certifies their nationality.
Students enjoying Machu Picchu
What documents are needed to visit Machu Picchu?
- To buy the entrance to Machu Picchu you need at least one of the following documents: passport, identity document, university card or immigration card.
- To enter Machu Picchu it is necessary to show the entrance to Machu Picchu printed as well as the document with which you made the purchase .
- To make a tour to Machu Picchu you only need one of the following documents: passport, identity document, university card or immigration card.
- The passport is the document most used by tourists from all over the world to buy the ticket or book a tour to Machu Picchu.
- To travel to Peru, the passport is sufficient in all the countries of South America, the nations of the European Union, the United States, Mexico, Canada, South Africa, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and other countries. Few countries do require Visa to enter Peru and visit Machu Picchu .
The identity document
- The identity document is enough to buy the Machu Picchu ticket in case the tourist does not have his passport . This document is mostly used by visitors from South America: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Chile and Paraguay.
- The identity document must have a valid expiration date. This document is also enough to buy a tour to Machu Picchu.
The current university card
- Currently the valid document to access the discount as a student of the Machu Picchu ticket is the university card . This is the official identification document granted by universities (or institutes of similar rank) to their students.
- The university card must contain the name of the university, the name of the student, the photo of the student and the printed date of its validity.
- Remember that the university card must be valid at the time of making the purchase of the ticket and at the time of entering the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
Card to reserve the ticket Machu Picchu with student discount
The immigration card
- People with an immigration card in the countries of the Andean Community of Nations (Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and Brazil) can access the discounts offered. Remember that the immigration card must be valid at the time of the visit in Machu Picchu.
- The citizens of the Andean Community only need to present their identity document or passport to access the Machu Picchu ticket at a discount .
The Andean Migration Card (TAM)
- Some tourism agencies will request the Andean Migration Card (TAM), after buying your tour or entrance to Machu Picchu .
- The TAM is sent by email, after receiving it at the Jorge Chavez International Airport in Lima, Peru.
- The TAM is a document that is always delivered to tourists who visit the countries of the Andean Community of Nations (Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru). Shipping to tourism agencies is due to a security issue.
The printed entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- At the entrance door to the Inca City you will be asked for the printed Machu Picchu ticket as well as the identity document or passport, with which the tourist made the purchase .
- University students must present their entrance ticket to Machu Picchu (with discount) as well as their current university card.
- Remember that each Machu Picchu ticket has a different admission schedule (chosen by the tourist at the time of purchase). Therefore, each visitor must enter Machu Picchu at the established time.
More information about the documents to visit Machu Picchu
- Children under 8 years do not pay to enter Machu Picchu. However, they must have an identity document or passport that certifies their age .
- Children and adolescents (over 8 and under 18) must enter with their Machu Picchu ticket as well as their identity document or passport. The income is accompanied by your father or mother.
- The ISIC card is not valid for university students at the time of buying your Machu Picchu ticket. However, this document still serves to obtain discounts on the Inca Trail, in the Cusco Tourist Ticket, tours and more.
- Citizens of Peru, Colombia, Ecuador or Bolivia have an even greater discount if they are minors or university students.
Advice from people who have been there
“An unforgettable experience“
“On summer vacations and thanks to a student exchange I was able to get to know Peru, it's amazing. But knowing Machu Picchu was what most marked me, I was surprised at its natural beauty and the perfect constructions of the Incas, it is truly a wonder. And best of all, the income came out at a discount, what more to ask for. Super recommended.“
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last updated, August 27, 2019